• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses WWII-Era Anime Film Momotaro, Sacred Sailors

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
That's what you call an obscure pickup. I'll definitely check this out!
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Us licensing Axis propaganda? Jesus. But it's a piece of history, so nice work Funimation!
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Besides war propaganda the film is also an artifact of Japanese colonialism as primitive tropical animals eagerly help the Japanese animals build an airbase and are educated in the Japanese language in a musical sequence.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Whoa! Didn't see this coming from Funimation.
I'll definitely be picking this up when it's out. I'm always interested in animation history.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Holy hell....

I'll let y'all know, I've been watching Joker Game, thinking/wondering if they were gonna show the bombings of Pearl Harbor in a future episode. (Probably not.)

Now there's a Japanese film where I might see it. Surprised
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably buy it as it's historically important I'd just like to know the when and where of it's release here.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm genuinely surprised that Funimation is the company releasing this. I was very much hoping to get a physical release in the US after news of the screening, but they're one of the last companies I would guess to pick it up. Kudos for surprising me, Funi! I'm looking forward to it.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Now there's a Japanese film where I might see it. Surprised

Not in this one though. Pearl Harbor was prominently featured in Seo earlier work Momotarō no Umiwashi.

It is interesting to watch Umi no Shinpei against the backdrop that it was screened at the time when it began to be clear to most people that war was not going to go the way Japan wanted. Battleship Yamato was sunk few days earlier, and atomic bombs were only 4 months away.
Joshua Taylor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone is going to watch it.

Funimation what were you thinking?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh so they can afford to restore a WWII propaganda film, with very niche appeal. Bu they have to go to Kickstarter to finance a release for a show which by comparison came out only yesterday.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
It's a bold impressive pick up, there's no denying that. Momotaro, that's the pheasant, dog and monkey story together with peach boy wonder fighting demons, right? And here, the allied powers are the demons? Yeah...

Has Disney released Song of the South yet? What about those banned Warner Bros shorts which were, kind of? "We have no history with this so it's less a cultural blackspot for us and more an artistic oddity." Or so I'm guessing.

Look on the bright side, there could be more to it than Graveyard of the Fireflies personal guilt shaming. I can put it in historic perspective without watching it but in order to successfully feel the tone, I'd have to watch it. Setting the main character as a boy could have an accidental "What were we thinking starting this war? We're babes!" mentality to it or it's the Japanese equivalent of Bugs/Popeye/Captain America punching Hitler- or Donald Duck working for him.

Wait, what? Ah, satire. Ok, it's probably not that.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting piece of history. Wonder if the specification of "hopme video" means it will not be made available streaming.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Momotaro is...something. I think the best part is the section where they go into their perceptions of the history of the European merchants and the Kingdom of Goa, which gives us decades later some look into the mindset of a nation worried about the ABCD encirlement. But that was in Divine Sea Warriors? There's so many subtitles for those wartime Momotaro movies. It'd be nice to actually see them all so i can keep my facts straight.

Though the animation of the Colonialists-humans is so noodly its bad-funny.

Hey, Funimation, while you're at it grab "Fuku-chan's submarine". That one's actually made by the guy who eventually made the Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer holiday puppet shows we all enjoy so much over here. Plus much less objectional content in that one, though Momotaro was the 'best' animation out of Japan at the time so it is the more important milestone.

Last edited by H. Guderian on Tue May 31, 2016 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
An interesting pick. I wouldn't mind checking this out, if given the change.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I've first watched this years ago on YouTube.

Last edited by revolutionotaku on Tue May 31, 2016 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3