• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: blanc et noir: Takeshi Obata Illustrations Artbook

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I got this for like $63 on rightstuf. Most definitely worth it for me. I absolutely love Obata's artwork. I actually didn't realize it only went up to 2006. I guess that explains the lack of Bakuman... that is a tad unfortunate. Death Note and Bakuman are my favorites of their work. Regardless, this is a fantastic artbook and I love how high quality the whole thing is. Biggest issue is that the size is so damn big that I can't actually fit it on my shelf without laying it on its side... Sad
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Nice drawings!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Takeshi Obata's drawings look fantastic! Smile
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Any news on if this will be released in a cheaper edition? I'm a sucker for artbooks, but $90 or so is a bit too much for me Sad
SemiBolt

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
jenny10-11 wrote:
Any news on if this will be released in a cheaper edition? I'm a sucker for artbooks, but $90 or so is a bit too much for me Sad

I don't think they ever will. Its even limited to 10,000 copies.
Although I got it on rightstuf for 68$ dollars so its a ton cheaper there.
It has so many different paper quality from watercolor paper, normal, gloss, etc. That if they did do a cheaper version it'd lose most of its charm

http://www.rightstufanime.com/blanc-et-noir-Takeshi-Obata-Illustrations-Hardcover
LightYapper

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I certainly don't mind the expensive cost since I'm also eager for Obata's glossy drawings. The question is: any chance that these art books (and other anime DVDs/BDs) can be found in physical retail stores? I don't really buy stuff online, that's why I'm asking.
123oo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
LightYapper wrote:
I certainly don't mind the expensive cost since I'm also eager for Obata's glossy drawings. The question is: any chance that these art books (and other anime DVDs/BDs) can be found in physical retail stores? I don't really buy stuff online, that's why I'm asking.

Barnes and Noble.

I saw one copy of this artbook last Sunday but I already got one from rightstuf.
cetriya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
does this edition includes the translation of the tutorial at the back of the original japanese.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I saw the Japanese version back several years ago at Kinokuniya bookstore in San Francisco and they had collector's box edition with figures. If I can remember correctly, I think the price was around $150 to $200.

Anyway, I'm not too surprised that Death Note is still popular enough to get English version art book after all these years.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:34 am Reply with quote
cetriya wrote:
does this edition includes the translation of the tutorial at the back of the original japanese.

Yes, it does. It's less a tutorial and more a step-by-step of Obata's process without the intention to teach, but it's really interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1