• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sound! Euphonium 2 Reveals New Cast, Visual

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
Hmmmm...... Guess Kumiko and Reina broke up and Kumiko went on to have Asuka as her new girlfriend.

Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
Ah, Nozomi Kasaki sighted. Best girl identified. #TeamChitoge Laughing
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:08 am Reply with quote
Just when you thought the show couldn't get any better, they decide to introduce the 'Big guns'. Now hurry up and give us the movie!
Hehaho1830

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
I'm really starting to hate movies... We never get them, but they're also part of the story far more often now, and it will make me either have to watch a fansub pirate or drop the series because I've missed some events.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
Epic hugeness, shiny brass instruments with perfect highlights... I don't know about the show- first season's owned by Pony Canyon so why watch what I can't have?- but that image is worthy of a Michael Bay "-epic- just got real" action shot.

Wait- they are holding their instruments like weapons. Huh, wow, it's intentional?

"Coming this fall, Brass and Silver. They're taking back the town, one concert at a time."

It'd make a nice poster is what I'm saying. Is the show any good?
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
Hehaho1830 wrote:
I'm really starting to hate movies... We never get them, but they're also part of the story far more often now, and it will make me either have to watch a fansub pirate or drop the series because I've missed some events.

I sympathize when stuff like that happens. It sucks not having the WUG sequel movies and the Beyond the Boundary movie as well. But this movie is entirely a recap. Not even "new" footage or anything. So there is nothing to be missed. I wouldn't mind having PC release it, or seeing it show up on Crunchyroll, but yeah, it shouldn't dissuade you from watching the second season.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Epic hugeness, shiny brass instruments with perfect highlights... I don't know about the show- first season's owned by Pony Canyon so why watch what I can't have?

Because you can watch it legally and enjoy it without owning it Confused .. Do you only watch shows that you can physically buy?
As far as if the show is good, yeah, it is. And you should watch it on Crunchyroll because it's available and I don't think that not being able to own a physical copy should deter you from experiencing it.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
Kumiko's body seems to be trying to turn in three different directions.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Epic hugeness, shiny brass instruments with perfect highlights... I don't know about the show- first season's owned by Pony Canyon so why watch what I can't have?

Because you can watch it legally and enjoy it without owning it Confused .. Do you only watch shows that you can physically buy?

I am a little depressed with PCUSA having the rights to Sound! Euphonium because I really like the show, but I can't justify paying $200+ for the 3 subbed-only volumes with stupid packaging. But if season 2 is legally streamed, I still plan to watch it. I like to collect anime on disc, but watching simulcasts (of shows I might not buy on BD/DVD) is an integral part of my fandom.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping one of the new characters are a woodwind player! (I'm totally not biased because I am a clarinet player Razz)
Jolty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
xifeng.hu wrote:
Here's hoping one of the new characters are a woodwind player! (I'm totally not biased because I am a clarinet player Razz)

Mizore is the lone oboist, you can see her in the show. Nozomi plays the flute.
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I sympathize when stuff like that happens. It sucks not having the WUG sequel movies and the Beyond the Boundary movie as well. But this movie is entirely a recap. Not even "new" footage or anything. So there is nothing to be missed. I wouldn't mind having PC release it, or seeing it show up on Crunchyroll, but yeah, it shouldn't dissuade you from watching the second season.

There are new additional scenes made for the movie actually. It's not that much and you don't necessarily have to watch it for the second season. Still it's worth watching, at least for me.

Last edited by Kamieichi on Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Responder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
More characters? The first season was ground to mediocrity by focussing on too many characters and doing little with any of them. Sapphire, for whom they dressed up as a Tuba one time, and the former leader, who left because Asuka was better, we're both dead ends that added nothing. Until the final third, when Reina took centre stage, this series made no substantial impression on me. I'll still check out the second season, though as this series seems determined not the live up to its potential, expectations are low.
Takigan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
No one gives Game of Thrones flak for having too many characters (I think the entire book series has something like 1,000 characters that all have given names)....well, I mean they do give it flak, but it doesn't really take away from the show much.

Euphonium's broad focus actually suffers not because of the large cast, but because it was conceived as a 2-cour show but had to be focused into one. You can tell by how blistering fast the pacing and dialogue are that they're trying to cram as much as they can into a small time frame....like in episode 5, they do their little marching thing and then BAM! the episode ends with zero afterglow. At the beginning of episode 6 we're on to an entirely different chapter.

Plus you can see Mizore and Nozomi in the 1st season, they just don't have prominent roles.
Responder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Takigan wrote:
No one gives Game of Thrones flak for having too many characters (I think the entire book series has something like 1,000 characters that all have given names)....well, I mean they do give it flak, but it doesn't really take away from the show much.

Euphonium's broad focus actually suffers not because of the large cast, but because it was conceived as a 2-cour show but had to be focused into one. You can tell by how blistering fast the pacing and dialogue are that they're trying to cram as much as they can into a small time frame....like in episode 5, they do their little marching thing and then BAM! the episode ends with zero afterglow. At the beginning of episode 6 we're on to an entirely different chapter.

Plus you can see Mizore and Nozomi in the 1st season, they just don't have prominent roles.

Fair argument, but short length isn't entirely to blame. Don't try to focus on marching, accused nepotism (Reina knowing the instructor), a band leader's breakdown (who we barely see again), a penultimate episode that has a break down that should have happened in the middle and been a turning point, Asuka's mysterious nature, and a largely useless final episode that attempts to communicate more progress than actual happened, all while showing the characters practice maybe three times? They should dig deep for a handful of characters, or focus on group dynamics, understanding time limitations.
pikopika

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I can't wait until the season airs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2