• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Asterisk War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Not if there's not enough time for those threads to be woven into that larger plot. If they know they've got another 25 or 50 episodes to work with, great, but if you've got half a dozen storylines going that never get resolved, that kinda sucks. You're better off sticking with the tournament.

He knows he has at least a dozen novels which is more than enough to work with. So you agree it makes perfect sense to be weaving in longer payoff plot threads. Great.

LightningShadow55 wrote:
Well they finally fixed one of my 2 main problems with this show the main characters over sized sword now all they need to change is the main characters hair color brown or black would be nice.

Uh, are you forgetting that Julis has to do that? I mean I guess as long as she is there, it is easy to just do it at any time. It isn't like the default giant ass sword version is gone though.

I agree about his hair. I don't like that shade of purple (or maybe purple at all?) on male characters. Actually, not too big on his hair style either.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
He knows he has at least a dozen novels which is more than enough to work with. So you agree it makes perfect sense to be weaving in longer payoff plot threads. Great.

I'm not sure there's any point in discussing this with you if you're going to deliberately misrepresent what I said, but how much source material is available is not the issue here. If no one is funding further episodes after these last 12, then it will suck to be left with yet another multiple dangling plot threads, go-read-the-novels finale.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not sure there's any point in discussing this with you if you're going to deliberately misrepresent what I said, but how much source material is available is not the issue here. If no one is funding further episodes after these last 12, then it will suck to be left with yet another multiple dangling plot threads, go-read-the-novels finale.

First they are adapting it, not rewriting it. Why should they remove plot elements? Second nobody knows yet if there will be more. Some LN based anime do get second seasons you know. If you cut out all that stuff, you're pretty much making it impossible to make more ever. Why would they want to close off any chance of making more before they have a chance to assess the option?

Also I can't believe you're trying to pull that crap when you are the one who first quoted me and ignored the fact that my post specifically referred to the overall LN plotline.
LightningShadow55

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I thought the sword evolved into a new form permanently my bad maybe he will learn how to do it himself someday.
natchu96

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
To be honest he's probably bad at minor adjustments because normal weapons explode when he uses too much power due to token main character OPness. This sword can actually withstand his strength, and well so far every time he puts more energy in it it basically just gets longer. Guess offensive power can't be buffed when you literally cut through everything.

So he really ought to practice some more. Default is way oversized.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Blast. The human chipmunk returned this episode. My sincerest apologies to my ears.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Hah, I just knew that the Most Annoying Voice in Anime would get mentioned this review with her expanded presence in the episode. As to why they're planting seeds this late... I guess they a) just didn't plan very well and ended up with two extra episodes they didn't want to turn into what's essentially OVAs; b) the source material conveniently has a plot that will fit into these episodes before the next arc; or c) they are really confident on season III being greenlit.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22

Interesting that her voice dropped half an octave and was almost tolerable when she got serious in her role of telling them it was time to go to the banquet. Which suggests that her usual voice is mostly her putting on a cutesy affectation, or perhaps some sort of anti-chimera defense system for the castle.

At any rate, the episode was worth it for Ayato's power-up hair transformation. Releasing Hair Gel Restriction Systems three... two... one... approval of Situation A recognized. Commencing Amagiri Shinmei Ryuu invocation. Ability restrictions lifted for limited use until the enemy has been rendered silent.
natchu96

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
Hah, I just knew that the Most Annoying Voice in Anime would get mentioned this review with her expanded presence in the episode. As to why they're planting seeds this late... I guess they a) just didn't plan very well and ended up with two extra episodes they didn't want to turn into what's essentially OVAs; b) the source material conveniently has a plot that will fit into these episodes before the next arc; or c) they are really confident on season III being greenlit.

This actually is its own volume of the novel following the tournament strangely enough. Things happen. Just not very important things. It's definitely mostly plot seeding and some obligated action.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:
To be honest he's probably bad at minor adjustments because normal weapons explode when he uses too much power due to token main character OPness.

Well, he could probably learn how to do it now. The problem before was when he brute forced through his seal he just leaked prana everywhere (which is also what prevented him from using that spacial awareness technique).

Melicans wrote:
As to why they're planting seeds this late... I guess they a) just didn't plan very well and ended up with two extra episodes they didn't want to turn into what's essentially OVAs; b) the source material conveniently has a plot that will fit into these episodes before the next arc; or c) they are really confident on season III being greenlit.

I think this is the best they could have done. Sure, they could have drug the tournament out 3 more episodes by adding in a bunch of exposition and minor scenes from the novels that got left out, but that would also ruin what felt like a reasonable pace. There actually is one previous thread that should get tied up so it isn't just developing new plot threads.

natchu96 wrote:
This actually is its own volume of the novel following the tournament strangely enough. Things happen. Just not very important things. It's definitely mostly plot seeding and some obligated action.

Well I think there are a couple of important things, and there is definitely a whole lot of important information that gets dropped in this novel. The anime is obviously rushing through this novel pretty quick though so who knows how much of that they'll get in to.
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
No review this week I guess? At least TMAVIA didn't appear, the ears were given a respite.

Edit: I spoke too soon!

Last edited by Melicans on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
LightningShadow55

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
WOW what took so long with the review.
Ittaku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
What was that crayon like animation during the action this episode Shocked I couldn't tell if it was just a bad choice or the studio running out of time and doing some half baked animation or what. Either way it looked terrible.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
Ep 23 Review wrote:
Overall, this ends up being one of the second half's most plot-intensive episodes, but why is something like this coming up so late in the series?

Come on, whether or not you approve of them doing it aside, do you seriously not get why they're doing it? They're adapting the LNs and going right through them in order. They finished LN 5 with 3 episodes to spare. This part comes next. Are they going to get to the rest this season? Nope. That is pretty par for the course for anime based on LNs or manga though. I would be far more surprised if an anime actually removed all hints of future arcs than them being left. Even if there is a second season, they obviously want to people to watch the anime and be interested in buying the source.

On the topic of Julis's brother, I'd like to think it is primarily out of concern for her. I mean he doesn't seem to care about being a king aside from living it up in high society, and brother of the queen probably doesn't mean being excluded. I'm not really sure why, but I want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

One thing I thought felt off was Julis's attack. It seemed to me that in the LN it was stronger or at least on par with the strongest attacks she used in the festa, but it didn't seem nearly as powerful of an attack in the anime. Maybe I'm just not remembering clearly though.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
ugh I hate when these ask "why didn't this or that come up earlier in then when it did"....maybe because it is an adaption and that is when it came up in the original source material. They don't choose when the next intensive thing gets to happen, they can't just skip 2/3 of the festa to get to what happens because of that festa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10