• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Geneon Titles that will disappear forever!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd like to have Dual and Last Exile and a few others, so if those are continued to be reprinted so I can eventually get them, then that would lessen the blow.

With the amount of Gonzo titles that FUNi has been pumping out these last couple of years, I'd almost be willing to bet money that they'd jump at the chance of getting their '10th Anniversary' series. Wink Oh, I don't know if there's an FYE store near you, but my local one had the Last Exile thin-pack on sale for $50 the other day, and that is a damn good deal.

Quote:
The one I'm most upset about is Black Lagoon. I loved the VA job so even if it gets picked up God knows if they'll keep the same VA's. I think it stands a good chance of being picked by ADV or Funi. If ADV gets it maybe they'll be smart, like they were with OMG season 2, and keep the original cast.

I'd say Black Lagoon's dub cast will be safe with either. ADV tends to be considerate of the fans, and FUNi kept the same cast for FMP: TSR as well as the Tenchi Muyo series' they have.

The unfinished titles I'm collecting are Black Lagoon, Hellsing Ultimate, Ergo Proxy, Fate/Stay Night, and When They Cry. Fate and Proxy are safe, they'll be fully released before the axe falls. I have no doubt that both BL and Hellsing will be picked up by someone else. Hell, we might even see a bloody battle over who gets those two Twisted Evil . When they Cry, however, I'm a bit worried about. This was mainly an unadvertised, "fans-only" release by Geneon if I'm not mistaken. BL and Hellsing are pretty big hits, and Proxy is airing on TV and already generating fans, Karin has FUNi written all over it (Moonphase anyone? Rolling Eyes ), but I can't place When They Cry anywhere else. Hopefully I'm just ignorrant to how well its been doing in R1 release? Please let that be the case.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Oh, I don't know if there's an FYE store near you, but my local one had the Last Exile thin-pack on sale for $50 the other day, and that is a damn good deal.

Shocked That's like half the original price! I bought the LE box a long time ago and was always jealous of the nice art (Murata <3) on the thin pack. I've never been to FYE, but every says their deals are very good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I just thought of something else in regards to Zipang, Ergo Proxy, and Fate/Stay night. You might want to get the last volumes from Geneon if you have the first four or five volumes since the episode count might differ in future releases. Funimation seems especially keen on releasing titles like Slayers as complete box sets, although at their low prices it costs a little more than one volume. It would be a pain to buy the entire series just for those last four episodes.

Kyo Kara has consistently made it to the top 100 on amazon with heavy hitters Hellsing, Ergo, Black Lagoon, Fate/Stay, Last Exile and Champloo being the Geneon titles that are currently doing better. Akira, Tenchi, Barefoot Gen, Chobits, Appleseed, and Trigun hover a little below and I feel this is the bottom of the "safe" zone.

This might be bad news for Saiunkoku, which despite having been seen by a good number of people here has not sold anywhere near as well as the above titles. Shana also isn't selling very well at this moment, but I think it did okay when it was released and has dropped since the last volume has been out for a little while now.

What I find really distressing is the low sales for When They Cry which only marginally sold more copies than the $80 BVUSA Honneamise, the less than amazing Shounen Onmyoji, and Someday's Dreamers. When They Cry has been seen (according to ANN) by so many people here, and has a high rating, yet it is not selling at all. This might be evidence at a highly successful fan subbed series which people just for some reason or another refuse to purchase effecting DVD sales, but who knows. Sadly Karin and Rozen also rank fairly low for sales.
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Sadly Karin and Rozen also rank fairly low for sales.

That Rozen Maiden is doing so poorly rather saddens me. The first season was so much fun, reminding me of some of the great cartoons of the 80s and 90s. While some people focus on the drama, I liked the Muppet Babies/Power Puff Girls-esque moments, such as the "Stairs" episode and a couple of other fluffy ones.

I'm also annoyed that I bought volume 1 + artbox no more than 2 weeks ago, and now it turns out it might not be finished (or at least finished in a manner that will properly fix said box.) That makes me sound bad, but it shouldn't. I ordered said box when it first came out then had to deal with DeepDiscount for 2 months after they sent me a terribly damaged product. By the time they finally gave me my refund, I wasn't finding the artbox at my usual online retailers anymore and had to luck into finding it at a random FYE. Now I'm wavering back and forth on whether or not to purchase what will be available--I think I'm settling on just finishing the first season as I didn't like Traumend all that well (too many new characters.)

What are people's thoughts on a show like Kamichu! getting picked up again, or perhaps a Sugar, A Little Snow Fairy? I personally didn't think Sugar was all that entertaining, but that's really a show that would have done well on the Saturday morning cartoon circuit--at least back in the 80s if not today. There was absolutely nothing objectionable in it, and the character designs for the adult fairies were very accessible to non-anime-fan viewers. The Elder in particular screamed 80s cartoon to me, and helped me enjoy it more than I would have otherwise. I can't help but think that if there is a company that is more likely to pick up the kiddy stuff, that Sugar would actually be a pretty good product for the 5 to 10-year-old crowd.

As for Kamichu!, while I own the first DVD plus box, I've never watched it. ^^; I think I'm just going to buy the boxset since it's cheaper than purchasing the remaining three singles. Is it something that might pique the interest of another company? I mean, ADV seems to deal a bit with "cute" as it did pick up Azumanga Daioh, but does Kamichu! not quite have the same appeal?
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I agree with the popular opinion that most of Geneon's catalog will be picked up by other distributors. I am hopeful in seeing the rest of When They Cry and Hellsing, although the delay might be annoying. Classics like Chobits, Samurai Champloo, Read or Die, and Last Exile have good chances of being picked up as well for those few who have yet to get them. There are however a good number of quality titles from Geneon that I have enjoyed and would be surprised if anyone picks them up. So here I am to say these are titles that are great and might be going out of print forever.

If anyone has other Geneon titles that don't (or almost doesn't) make the top 1000 most viewed titles that they want to add please do so. Also if there are other things about these series that you would like to add please do so. I know that there have been other "underrated anime" threads, but I feel it has been some time since one and the timing is right for one that is dedicated to Geneon titles that might be going away forever.

Uh, what's everyone talking about? Call me "oblivious", but I have no idea what's going on here. Does anyone care to fill me in? I'm confused. What's going on? Thanks.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
caseclosedfan414 wrote:
Uh, what's everyone talking about? Call me "oblivious", but I have no idea what's going on here. Does anyone care to fill me in? I'm confused. What's going on? Thanks.

Just go and skim the last week or two of headlines on the front page and pick out anything relating to Geneon. That'll tell you all you need to know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
ADV seems to deal a bit with "cute" as it did pick up Azumanga Daioh, but does Kamichu! not quite have the same appeal?

I think KAMICHU! might appeal to fans of the lighter stuff from Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli; I thought it seemed a bit like KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE taking place in a sweet, friendly version of the SPIRITED AWAY world. It's one of my favorite shows.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I just thought of something else in regards to Zipang, Ergo Proxy, and Fate/Stay night. You might want to get the last volumes from Geneon if you have the first four or five volumes since the episode count might differ in future releases. Funimation seems especially keen on releasing titles like Slayers as complete box sets, although at their low prices it costs a little more than one volume. It would be a pain to buy the entire series just for those last four episodes.

Kyo Kara has consistently made it to the top 100 on amazon with heavy hitters Hellsing, Ergo, Black Lagoon, Fate/Stay, Last Exile and Champloo being the Geneon titles that are currently doing better. Akira, Tenchi, Barefoot Gen, Chobits, Appleseed, and Trigun hover a little below and I feel this is the bottom of the "safe" zone.

This might be bad news for Saiunkoku, which despite having been seen by a good number of people here has not sold anywhere near as well as the above titles. Shana also isn't selling very well at this moment, but I think it did okay when it was released and has dropped since the last volume has been out for a little while now.

What I find really distressing is the low sales for When They Cry which only marginally sold more copies than the $80 BVUSA Honneamise, the less than amazing Shounen Onmyoji, and Someday's Dreamers. When They Cry has been seen (according to ANN) by so many people here, and has a high rating, yet it is not selling at all. This might be evidence at a highly successful fan subbed series which people just for some reason or another refuse to purchase effecting DVD sales, but who knows. Sadly Karin and Rozen also rank fairly low for sales.

Wait, do you have access to actual sales numbers? I'm not disputing anything you are saying but your post reads as if you know the actual numbers. Wait, are you going by Amazon.com sales rankings? That's probably not a bad way to determine overall sales, but its still far from accurate. B&M stores are the companies bread and butter and a decent number of the more hardcore fans probably buy from TRSI and similar stores, so less mainstream series may get a much larger chunk of their sales from there than, say, Bleach.

In any case, I think that most complete series has some chance of getting re-released. The license holders have already gotten a lot of money out of them, so I would think re-licensing them would be cheaper than the initial license. Even if the actual license cost is the same, the dubs are already done so they should be able to purchase them for a relatively cheap price. And if they are using the exact same discs and cases, well, then it should be even easier; buying the rights to all of it would cost money, but it would still probably be fairly cheap. I think they would be able to re-release the singles or sets at much cheaper prices (especially the sets since Geneon tended to be more expensive on that front).

For example, I could see some companies re-releasing the Mahoromatic thinpack since it should be fairly cheap to produce (no inserts or reversible covers, so production would be cheaper than most full box sets) and all the work is done already.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But that was a Toei license. One of their rather infamous releases that was so badly done it was practically defective.

According to DVDAficionado which is usually right on most things being a DVD guru site, it lists both them and Geneon in the publisher catagory for the disc. I was just going by that, so it's not my fault if it's wrong.

Quote:
Oh crap....I forgot all about Fate Stay Night! Will the last dvd release make the cut off?? God that would be so damn annoying if it doesn't. I mean the last bloody disc!!! Argh.

Volume 6 is probabally safe since it is scheduled for an October 9th release so it will most likely be released since Geneon's cut off date is a month later. I really hope so as I'm collecting it as well.
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
What I find really distressing is the low sales for When They Cry

That could have something to do with the nature of the title. From the reviews I've read, I get the impression that it's well done but rather disturbing and therefore might not have a particularly high rewatch value. Those who have seen it would be better qualified to comment on whether or not it falls under the "everyone should watch it once but you probably won't need to watch it again" category.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
When They Cry is part mystery (in addition to being violently disturbing in places) and has a really unique and confusing format of chapters so if you don't watch it more than once you might not be able to connect all the dots so to speak. I'm probabally not explaining it very well...the best way to understand is to watch it.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

That could have something to do with the nature of the title. From the reviews I've read, I get the impression that it's well done but rather disturbing and therefore might not have a particularly high rewatch value. Those who have seen it would be better qualified to comment on whether or not it falls under the "everyone should watch it once but you probably won't need to watch it again" category.

Indeed, rewatchability suffers due to some of the suspense coming from deliberately misleading scenes that are explicitly explained later in the series. Also being in the niche of moe horror probably doesn't help.
vbann

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Hi Im new to the fourms

The only titles from Geneon that I am collecting are black lagoon and hellsing ultimate. I wouldn't be too worried about black lagoon as it was very fortunate that It was split into 2 twelve episode series and geneon end of dvd distribution was right after the first series finished its release. Therefore it would make it all the more easier for another company to release the second barrage without having to re release the first one.

Hellsing however makes me a bit nervous. If geneon is really out the picture for good then I doubt that It will be released again untill the japan releases are nearly finished. The releases are extremely slow and it is on average 6-7 months per OVA. So at the rate japan is going it will be likely 4 to 5 years until it is completely finished. I think geneon was in a real hurry to release this series. I am devoted to the Limited editions and I don't know If I am gonna be able to find the third since geneon will not be making any more.
However, what is the possibility that geneon stopped distribution to try and persue more business deals. Could they find some way to go back to distribution by the end of 2008 or mid 2009? If they did then they would most likely continue with the releases the way they have been doing them starting with OVA 4.
There is no doubt that if geneon does not continue then someone else will pick it up(including Black Lagoon:TSB) seeing that it is one of geneons top titles right now.
If they dont Id say funimation would probably release it. But that would probably be in the next 2 or 3 years, not to mention that they would have to re-release the first three as they would be out of print.

And even worse if it took that long there would be new dubbs and this is funimations downfall
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Kelly wrote:
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

Indeed, rewatchability suffers due to some of the suspense coming from deliberately misleading scenes that are explicitly explained later in the series. Also being in the niche of moe horror probably doesn't help.

Kind of funny since I've found Higurashi to be one of the most re-watchable series I've seen in a while. I normally don't re-watch series more than twice (in fact there is only one other 26+ episode series I have), but I've watched Higurashi four times through, and have found it to be just as entertaining each time, save the first which was probably a bit more entertaining since I didn't know what was going to happen. But of course watching anything through more than once can lose entertainment value by knowing what is going to happen, so I don't see how this is something unique to Higurashi.

And sure, some parts in the anime were disturbing and/or depressing, but it wasn't like something on the level of say Now and Then, Here and There or Grave of the Fireflies. Stuff which I don't have any intention to watch again, because it isn't exactly entertaining to watch again, it's just depressing. While Higurashi is depressing in a way, it is also entertaining to me, so I have no problem watching it again and again.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:41 am Reply with quote
I wonder what will happen to the second Lupin III TV series. I'm aware they stopped releasing new volumes a while back, but I always sort of hoped they'd continue again at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9