Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of May 27-June 2


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
angelmcazares



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4608
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I was convinced that Kabaneri was going to hold on to its top spot in the cumulative ranking. But it makes sense because the 3 shows above it have been getting a lot of love from fans. My biggest question now is if Re:Zero will be able to reach the number one cumulative spot at the end of this season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
AksaraKishou



Joined: 16 May 2015
Posts: 1150
Location: End of the World
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Wow, I was convinced that Kabaneri was going to hold on to its top spot in the cumulative ranking. But it makes sense because the 3 shows above it have been getting a lot of love from fans. My biggest question now is if Re:Zero will be able to reach the number one cumulative spot at the end of this season.



It probably won't because all other will have a satisfying (i hope) ending while Re:Zero will continue, and i'm sure you know that fans usually give a better score to a show when it reaches it's finale.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malvarez1



Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 975
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
This is the highest that Shippuden has ever been, not that that's saying much. Still under One Of though. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist


Joined: 02 Jan 2002
Posts: 3633
Location: Montreal
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
last week, #844903 wrote:
That Kabaneri debate. I predict Kabaneri will go down on its cumulative next two weeks (or even next week) if it cannot beat Re:Zero, Jojo and Ushio and Tora next episodes even once. Dropping 3 spots will be not shocking.

good prediction Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Alabaster Spectrum



Joined: 02 Sep 2015
Posts: 528
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Boy Kabaneri sure had to take a long steady time of not being even close to #1 on the weeklies before it finally dropped off. I was starting to get convinced the whole thing was just rigged for advertising purposes and it was hard locked in there and out of the algorithm for other shows. I haven't really been following the season that closely but it seems like Re:Zero is that one dark horse LN show that always seems to rise up and get the critical acclaim and popularity through old fashioned community word of mouth (Last season it was KonoSuba it seems before that something like Overlord) to catch up to and even overtake the obvious hit contenders with big money, big hype, big brand names and big advertising behind them but usually a slipshod script (I have a problem in the last few years of getting into many if any big budget TV anime because of this problem where the scripts just end up offensively bad even when I'm not going into them with particularly high expectations) which is this seasons case having actually seen more than a few episodes is definitely Kabaneri.

I'm told those first few were actually the good episodes and I just found them mediocre if watchable so I can only imagine where it's gone downhill from there given it's staffs tendencies. I figured I'd watch about until I figured the script was probably going to crap itself which is usually after the first arc of a given big hype show so it sounds like I might have been right to drop it around episode 6.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3673
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Wow, I was convinced that Kabaneri was going to hold on to its top spot in the cumulative ranking. But it makes sense because the 3 shows above it have been getting a lot of love from fans. My biggest question now is if Re:Zero will be able to reach the number one cumulative spot at the end of this season.


If Re:zero keeps getting rating like it has for weeks now, it's possible but it would probably have to beat at least Jojo4 and possible Ushio and Tora (and Kabaneri if it returns to its ratings earlier in the season) consistently for it to get first in the cumulative. That is plausible though, with how its been doing in the ratings. I don't think it will happen next week though. The episodes of Re:zero, Ushio and Tora, and Jojo that will be in next weeks rankings are very close in the ratings, so the Jojo will probably keep it, as it has been more consistently high up in the cumulative, though the relevant episode of Kabaneri has not aired or been reviewed yet so that could change things if it is phenomenal.

AksaraKishou wrote:
It probably won't because all other will have a satisfying (i hope) ending while Re:Zero will continue, and i'm sure you know that fans usually give a better score to a show when it reaches it's finale.


Actually, the current number one in the cumulative, Jojo, is also continuing so that wouldn't give it an advantage over Re:zero. Additionally, while I don't know whether it bears out in general, but looking at previous season end iterations of this feature, you don't really see a significant bump of series that ended versus series that continue. So for these ratings I don't really see any strong evidence that your statement that fans give stronger ratings when a show reaches a finale.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
+ 光



Joined: 22 Mar 2016
Posts: 226
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
My attention lies with the other come-from-behind shows that no one expected to be something special, but are really showing their worth, even if they aren't top 5. Some of these series' improvement could be thanks to the viewers getting into the groove of the show, and if they can stick the landing next week and the weeks after, it will show that their are other notable shows than just the top.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3829
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I was going to ask why Concrete Revolutio had such a low rank, then I realised that it is for episode 21 not 22.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 16195
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
[Re: Kabaneri] I'm told those first few were actually the good episodes and I just found them mediocre if watchable so I can only imagine where it's gone downhill from there given it's staffs tendencies. I figured I'd watch about until I figured the script was probably going to crap itself which is usually after the first arc of a given big hype show so it sounds like I might have been right to drop it around episode 6.

I recently got Amazon Prime and marathoned to get caught up on Kabaneri. While I do think its sharpest episode was its first, I don't feel that the drop-off has been huge. I think it's more a case where the dazzling technical merits early on (and it's still a well-animated series, even if the animation has dropped off some) distracted people from there being nothing special about the plot or characters.

On another point, I am also dubious that Re: Zero will be able to overtake the much-beloved Jojo. However, its episode 10 is slightly outscoring Jojo's episode 10 at this time, so it should continue to inch up on Jojo while still maintaining its position against Ushio and Tora (which is currently scoring the same).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy



Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 1117
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
I haven't really been following the season that closely but it seems like Re:Zero is that one dark horse LN show that always seems to rise up and get the critical acclaim and popularity through old fashioned community word of mouth (Last season it was KonoSuba it seems before that something like Overlord) to catch up to and even overtake the obvious hit contenders with big money, big hype, big brand names and big advertising behind them but usually a slipshod script (I have a problem in the last few years of getting into many if any big budget TV anime because of this problem where the scripts just end up offensively bad even when I'm not going into them with particularly high expectations) which is this seasons case having actually seen more than a few episodes is definitely Kabaneri.


Coincidence that all three of those were the big web novel anime of their seasons, like DanMachi?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4125
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
It looks like Joker Game must have had a strong episode. I'm glad to see that. That gives me a good reason to catch up in the next couple of days.

I'm coming around a bit on Re:Zero as well. I never disliked it, but I felt the characters and dialogue needed some work, even while the story was quite interesting. I think developments in the last couple of episodes have somewhat mitigated those issues, thankfully.

I expect MHA to rise a bit next week. Or at least I hope it does. Episode 10 was fantastic and very much made up for whatever people felt was lacking from episodes 8 and 9.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Alabaster Spectrum



Joined: 02 Sep 2015
Posts: 528
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
[Re: Kabaneri] I'm told those first few were actually the good episodes and I just found them mediocre if watchable so I can only imagine where it's gone downhill from there given it's staffs tendencies. I figured I'd watch about until I figured the script was probably going to crap itself which is usually after the first arc of a given big hype show so it sounds like I might have been right to drop it around episode 6.

I recently got Amazon Prime and marathoned to get caught up on Kabaneri. While I do think its sharpest episode was its first, I don't feel that the drop-off has been huge. I think it's more a case where the dazzling technical merits early on (and it's still a well-animated series, even if the animation has dropped off some) distracted people from there being nothing special about the plot or characters.

On another point, I am also dubious that Re: Zero will be able to overtake the much-beloved Jojo. However, its episode 10 is slightly outscoring Jojo's episode 10 at this time, so it should continue to inch up on Jojo while still maintaining its position against Ushio and Tora (which is currently scoring the same).


In comparison to my expectations it's really not too bad a show, just mediocre and reliant on trendy late night anime tropes, visual appeal and a whole lot of marketing which is again already better than I expected. What I was expecting was to find it revolting pretty early and just retch into dropping it after a couple episodes but it held up a while never hit the offensively bad levels of say Guilty Crown where it practically seemed like it was trying to be bad on purpose with the script like a Buckaroo Banzai type deal only not ironically so just to see how far marketing and visual appeal could carry it which it turned out was far indeed. That show too me jump started a slow decline in my anime watching habits and what I saw as the scenes potential to amount to more than just a commercial interests playground to market whatever it is they feel they need to use the medium to market. I've pretty much gone from watching upwards of 5-10 TV anime a season to being lucky if I watch a couple a year just due to a complete lack of faith in it's ability to put out much of anything I'd find truly good and memorable anymore.

Anyway as for Jojo (the 3rd season of which was the last show I actually managed to finish and come out of with a largely positive opinion) it's practically iconic and a whole new generation has been getting interested in it with the recent anime series so I don't see it being overtaken either, I was merely commenting on how Re:Zero seems to fulfill that status of that one LN adaptation that slowly creeps up from an absence of hype and aggressive PR marketing you'd expect out of something like an Aniplex backed series to become popular in it's own right over time. It's sometimes neat to be reminded that old fashioned community word of mouth and a slow build in popularity could still happen in an industry/community that is almost entirely commercially dominated by a select few interests most of which belong to the Anime Consortium Japan Fund and their ever churning marketing machines nowadays.


Shay Guy wrote:
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
I haven't really been following the season that closely but it seems like Re:Zero is that one dark horse LN show that always seems to rise up and get the critical acclaim and popularity through old fashioned community word of mouth (Last season it was KonoSuba it seems before that something like Overlord) to catch up to and even overtake the obvious hit contenders with big money, big hype, big brand names and big advertising behind them but usually a slipshod script (I have a problem in the last few years of getting into many if any big budget TV anime because of this problem where the scripts just end up offensively bad even when I'm not going into them with particularly high expectations) which is this seasons case having actually seen more than a few episodes is definitely Kabaneri.


Coincidence that all three of those were the big web novel anime of their seasons, like DanMachi?


I don't think so at all. At the start of the season I picked that as the show to fulfill that role just based on reading the premise, but again it still didn't have the crazy marketing push of the Aniplex backed series like Kiznaiver, Haifuri etc got to start their runs off with which seems to be everything popularity wise nowadays except for that one instance of the LN series that breaks out in the second half of a season. Usually if you aren't set up to be immediately popular right from the get go in this touch and go industry where shows nowadays are lucky if they get more than 12 episodes to work with your just done for. Keep in mind I'm talking specifically about Late Night TV anime here, OVAs and Films which I still watch plenty of are still IMO at least a very open field with potential for more than the privileged few that garner the right kind of marketing at least for now. I mean what can you say for a format where a Detective Conan film can make 6 Billion in a little under two months with just a regular amount of marketing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hameyadea



Joined: 23 Jun 2014
Posts: 3679
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
The time for Hero Academia to shine will come. I think. I hope. I guess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BodaciousSpacePirate
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Posts: 2879
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
I don't think so at all. At the start of the season I picked that as the show to fulfill that role just based on reading the premise, but again it still didn't have the crazy marketing push of the Aniplex backed series like Kiznaiver, Haifuri etc got to start their runs off with which seems to be everything popularity wise nowadays except for that one instance of the LN series that breaks out in the second half of a season. Usually if you aren't set up to be immediately popular right from the get go in this touch and go industry where shows nowadays are lucky if they get more than 12 episodes to work with your just done for. Keep in mind I'm talking specifically about Late Night TV anime here, OVAs and Films which I still watch plenty of are still IMO at least a very open field with potential for more than the privileged few that garner the right kind of marketing at least for now. I mean what can you say for a format where a Detective Conan film can make 6 Billion in a little under two months with just a regular amount of marketing.


Detective Conan is a massive franchise that consistently places in the top 10 weekly TV animation rankings, with over 800 episodes, 80+ manga volumes, and a multimedia marketing push aimed at children and families. I'm just not buying the idea that Kiznaiver and Haifuri are somehow more "privileged" than a franchise that more Japanese children watch from week to week than Pokemon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
bumbayker



Joined: 11 Jul 2010
Posts: 24
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:20 am Reply with quote
So why doesn't ANN include Macross Delta and Kuromokuro? Just because they don't have an official license to the West or have a simulcast release doesn't mean they can't be part of it. You post articles about Macross and Shoji Kawamori but don't include it on your rankings or reviews. What gives?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group