• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Digimon Universe TV Anime & Game Offer First Full Look at Characters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
This kid looks like Yuya Sakaki from Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
Urgh this is too less Digimon-like, which reminds me with Xros Wars
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Well, he has goggles. Just hope his name begins with "T".
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
Wow. Apps. This whole idea just sounds like such corporate pandering. "What are the kids into these days?" "I don't know, they're always on their phones playing those apps." "That's it!" Seriously, is it just me or are the digimon starting to look less and less like Digimon? They look like Yokai crossed with Pokemon.
tsukumo.yuma.98

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
This kid looks like Yuya Sakaki from Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V.

So I wasn't the only one thinking that

I'm not going to knock it yet, I have to see where they are taking the app concept first, because right now, that all it is so far, just a concept and a picture.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
Looks like they save good designs for games I guess. Why couldn't we get a Cyber Sleuth anime?
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
The new gogglehead looks like he is from Yu-Gi-Oh instead of Digimon.

Anyways, I really hope that despite being called "Appmons", they should still use the Digimon name in the series and will hopefully see some familiar Digimon to show that yes, this is definitely a Digimon series.

I admire the Digimon series for always trying to do something new and different each season but I just keep getting the feeling that this really doesn't feel like the Digimon that we all know and love as it feels like it is emulating Pokemon and Yokai Watch instead.
pauladls

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Looks like they save good designs for games I guess. Why couldn't we get a Cyber Sleuth anime?

Because yokai watch and pokemon exist
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
Worth noting the twitter account mentions that it will be airing on the TV Tokyo Network this October with this bit:

Quote:
デジモンの系譜を継ぐ、まったく新しい物語が起動するー新番組『デジモンユニバース アプリモンスターズ』2016年10月からテレビ東京系で放送開始!!アニメだけでなく、玩具やデジタルキッズカードゲームをはじめとした関連商品、ゲーム、雑誌など、クロスメディアで展開していきます。 #アプモン
Sleipmon4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Looking pretty good so far! I like the map DIgimon.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
Wow. Apps. This whole idea just sounds like such corporate pandering. "What are the kids into these days?" "I don't know, they're always on their phones playing those apps." "That's it!" Seriously, is it just me or are the digimon starting to look less and less like Digimon? They look like Yokai crossed with Pokemon.

Um, so are we just going to ignore the fact that Digimon exists at all is because of that very same reasoning? They were pandering to people who were into the latest stuff, which at the time was a very new and emerging tech market. This is no different than that and your post sort of just ignores the context of the times the original series were created in.

Quote:

This would realistically only work with a much shorter series. This is most likely a series aiming for a year-long run. Toei's year-long shows tend to look pretty bad when the animation and character designs are at all different from the norm, they just wouldn't give the show the budget to support it.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

Because it was not meant to be...right now.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought of Yuya when I saw the goggles and the color scheme.

Tempest_Wing wrote:

Cellphones have been a common gimmick in a lot of shows. A lot of henshin devices in toku and magical girl are phones because, yes, that is what kids are into these days. I'd argue it makes perfect sense in Digimon given the whole digital technology theme. Digimon has always adapted to digital technology, like the card reader in Tamers and barcode scanner in Frontier, or the notWonderswan in 02.

-Stuart Smith
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I'll give this a try because I think there's some potential with Digimon and apps, but I don't have much hope. My bigger question is how successful is Digimon in Japan, because there seems to be a very loyal following in many places, even if the following is small, and I wonder what Digimon would be like if they tried to do not mature, but close to mature stories. I'm still sad that Digimon has a very big library of monsters that have yet to be animated, but they still make up new ones for each new iteration...sometimes it's tough being a Digimon fan.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the focus on collecting in the past few seasons, I don't really see the design/concept similarities to Yokai Watch or Pokemon that everyone else seems to, but... Yeah, this just doesn't feel like Digimon to me. Ever since Tamers ended their designs have gotten blockier and blockier and it's just so unappealing to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2