• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Girls & Panzer Film Sells Nearly 1.3 Million Tickets for 2.2 Billion Yen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
To think that a movie targeting such a niche audience can crack $20 million (albeit it's taken half a year) has to mean something.

Doubt it will ever top Love Live, but still. Sentai is just sitting on GuP like FUNi has been sitting on Strike Witches and it's annoying to keep having to import. Mad
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Sentai is just sitting on GuP like FUNi has been sitting on Strike Witches

What does Sentai have that they have not released?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Funimation, if I remember correctly, has the first Strike Witches movie licensed but not released. Sentai has, as far as I know, released everything Girls & Panzer that they have access to. I assume they will get the movie once it's available for licensing.

Now, it would be nice to see Funimation pick up the new Brave Witches anime.

Mark Gosdin
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
I should have been more specific - it's the Battle of Anzio OVA that we don't have yet, but that was a few years ago now. I don't actually expect the movie anytime soon, but I'm not exactly optimistic about Sentai acquiring it after not hearing anything about Anzio Confused

Regarding Brave Witches, if FUNi doesn't stream it, they might really be done with the franchise.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Bring me Anzio!
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
So, if there are 200,000 hardcore Otaku in Japan, as Justin said last week, I guess that means they each went at least 6 times. Surprised

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past Otaku to go see a movie that many times..
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
I should have been more specific - it's the Battle of Anzio OVA that we don't have yet, but that was a few years ago now. I don't actually expect the movie anytime soon, but I'm not exactly optimistic about Sentai acquiring it after not hearing anything about Anzio Confused

Regarding Brave Witches, if FUNi doesn't stream it, they might really be done with the franchise.

The Anzio OVA wasn't even out in Japan yet at the time Sentai released the "OVA Collection" set. I suppose they could potentially license and package it with the movie as a bonus feature, if they thought it would be worth the cost.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
So, if there are 200,000 hardcore Otaku in Japan, as Justin said last week, I guess that means they each went at least 6 times. Surprised

I was thinking the same thing. Though the number of hardcore otaku is probably around 3 million since in the Tokyo area there are at least 1 million hardcore ones (the ones who show up in the Comicket).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
The movie continues with its impressive performance.
This just makes me even more sad to think that I might have to wait for a year, or even more, before I can buy it on disc.

7jaws7 wrote:
- it's the Battle of Anzio OVA that we don't have yet, but that was a few years ago now.

I asked about that myself in another thread, but has Sentai ever said that they have the license for Anzio?

relyat08 wrote:
So, if there are 200,000 hardcore Otaku in Japan, as Justin said last week, I guess that means they each went at least 6 times.

Why do you think that the movie would not appeal to people who are not otaku?
The TV series certainly seems to me like it would have something for everybody, and I think that movies are usually made to be accessible to a wider audience.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

relyat08 wrote:
So, if there are 200,000 hardcore Otaku in Japan, as Justin said last week, I guess that means they each went at least 6 times.

Why do you think that the movie would not appeal to people who are not otaku?
The TV series certainly seems to me like it would have something for everybody, and I think that movies are usually made to be accessible to a wider audience.

But would that really account for a 6x between Justin's number and the amount to tickets sold? Sure, it might account for some of it, but I doubt some random anime movie is going to catch fire with the general public like that, especially one about middle school girls and tanks. If you go to comments section of that answerman post, some people posted a variety of different sources saying that 200,000 is not even close to the real number, and it's actually a lot higher.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
For a medium that's [supposedly] only supported by 200,000 people, the film of Girls und Panzer continues to shine at the box office.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Where is this 200,000 people number coming from? The GuP movie will likely reach a total sales of more than 200k discs by the next week or two so that's just plain asinine to say. Just like it'd be asinine to say that only 220,000 people support Love Live or only 600,000 that support Evangelion.

Though at least I'm glad that nobody seems to be bringing up nationalism as the reason for GuP's success anymore. It's hard to be nationalistic when the Imperial Japanese tanks are completely underpowered and the Japanese tank team spends most of the movie blindly charging at the enemy like idiots.

The movie is just insanity though. The TV series kept most of the tank combat to a (with few exceptions) relatively realistic level. The movie completely removes all that by the end and just unleashes scene after scene of physics-defying adrenaline-fueled battles. As this fanmade parody/trailer aptly put it, the world goes mad.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Where is this 200,000 people number coming from? The GuP movie will likely reach a total sales of more than 200k discs by the next week or two so that's just plain asinine to say. Just like it'd be asinine to say that only 220,000 people support Love Live or only 600,000 that support Evangelion.

Although that number wasn't mentioned, it had to do with this Answerman column.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Why do you think that the movie would not appeal to people who are not otaku? The TV series certainly seems to me like it would have something for everybody, and I think that movies are usually made to be accessible to a wider audience.

I don't know... cute girls in tanks doesn't really seem like something that I would consider to have mass appeal outside of Otaku circles. And it was a late night anime, from my understanding, so I would imagine the majority of it's audience would identify as Otaku. I'm sure some people who don't really watch much anime saw it, but I doubt it was a significant number.

Jose Cruz wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Though the number of hardcore otaku is probably around 3 million since in the Tokyo area there are at least 1 million hardcore ones (the ones who show up in the Comicket).

I agree. Based on all of the research I've done, 2 to 3 million seems much more likely. I don't know where Justin got that number, but I really don't think it's accurate.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Although that number wasn't mentioned, it had to do with this Answerman column.

It was actually this one: Answerman 6-06-16

And Justin specifically mentioned that there were supposedly only a few hundred thousand hardcore Otaku in Japan(people who buy merchandise, buy Blu-rays, go to events, watch late night anime, etc.). Which I thought was pretty silly, for a number of reasons. Something like this included. Most stats I've seen point to at least a couple million.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Garupan was a huge mass market success for a reason. In a lot of ways it's the military equivalent of Love Live. (large all likable cast, upbeat tone, innocent content, strong real world tie ins)

The movie is also spectacular, "dense", and definitely something that would get people to come back to see it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2