• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of May 27-June 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
bumbayker wrote:
So why doesn't ANN include Macross Delta and Kuromokuro? Just because they don't have an official license to the West or have a simulcast release doesn't mean they can't be part of it. You post articles about Macross and Shoji Kawamori but don't include it on your rankings or reviews. What gives?

There's no way for ANN to collect rankings for shows that have no review pages.

There's no legal way for ANN's reviewers who live in the US to watch shows that have no official US simulcast licenses.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
bumbayker wrote:
So why doesn't ANN include Macross Delta and Kuromokuro? Just because they don't have an official license to the West or have a simulcast release doesn't mean they can't be part of it. You post articles about Macross and Shoji Kawamori but don't include it on your rankings or reviews. What gives?

The bolded part is precisely why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hehaho1830

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
[Re: Kabaneri] I'm told those first few were actually the good episodes and I just found them mediocre if watchable so I can only imagine where it's gone downhill from there given it's staffs tendencies. I figured I'd watch about until I figured the script was probably going to crap itself which is usually after the first arc of a given big hype show so it sounds like I might have been right to drop it around episode 6.

I recently got Amazon Prime and marathoned to get caught up on Kabaneri. While I do think its sharpest episode was its first, I don't feel that the drop-off has been huge. I think it's more a case where the dazzling technical merits early on (and it's still a well-animated series, even if the animation has dropped off some) distracted people from there being nothing special about the plot or characters.

On another point, I am also dubious that Re: Zero will be able to overtake the much-beloved Jojo. However, its episode 10 is slightly outscoring Jojo's episode 10 at this time, so it should continue to inch up on Jojo while still maintaining its position against Ushio and Tora (which is currently scoring the same).

Um no, Kabaneri is dropping because it's been buried on Amazon Prime. It's just not going to get the votes of a show on FUNI or CR.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
It wouldn't have gotten that high up in the first place if that was such an issue.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
It wouldn't have gotten that high up in the first place if that was such an issue.

Or you could look at it from the perspective of "the show got where it is now despite being buried on prime"
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
bumbayker wrote:

For future reference, in addition to what Key and BodaciousSpacePirate already noted:
Users on this site vote for which "legally streaming" shows they want to be covered by the reviewers. This is a breakdown of the numbers only for the shows that were picked by the users and are being reviewed. Sansha Sanyou and a number of other shows are also not included.
Hakuryuu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow shounen maid no.14 nice!
LightYapper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
These legal streaming debates reminded me: why isn't that Magi sequel reviewed? I certainly saw it on the list (it's to be reviewed by Rebecca Silverman) but it's not around currently. Did some changes occur on its streaming or something?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
LightYapper wrote:
These legal streaming debates reminded me: why isn't that Magi sequel reviewed? I certainly saw it on the list (it's to be reviewed by Rebecca Silverman) but it's not around currently. Did some changes occur on its streaming or something?

At the time the poll was made, the show hadn't premiered yet and it was included under the assumption that a simulcast company would pick it up. It ended up getting taken up by Netflix, and so it'll be released all at once in the US after it's already finished airing in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2