• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shout! Factory to Release 1986 Transformers: The Movie on Blu-ray/DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd heard there's some issues with the previous blu-ray which didn't come out in the US (and is actually rather old, from 2007 or something?), so this is nice to see. I was just thinking about this again recently and expecting they'd get around to it for the 30th anniversary, so...good! Good!
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite 80s films of all time, I must have watched this over a dozen times! And I don't even like the original show that much! Snagging this right away.
Gonstead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
I'd heard there's some issues with the previous blu-ray which didn't come out in the US (and is actually rather old, from 2007 or something?), so this is nice to see. I was just thinking about this again recently and expecting they'd get around to it for the 30th anniversary, so...good! Good!

Not sure if it's the same Blu-ray that I own but for the sake of discussion, lets say it is.

The only issues with it are that it's presented in 16:9 when it should technically be in 4:3. The only other issue is one minor sound editing screw up where one of Prime's gun sound effects is pretty muted when he's mowing down Decepticons before he reaches Megatron.

Example clip here.

Other than that though, the remastering looks pretty damn amazing. A lot of details that were lost under crushed blacks in previous releases are much easier to see in detail especially.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
This movie is so much fun, I still greatly enjoy it even as an adult. It's also got a really awesome soundtrack. It probably holds the record for the most times I've ever rented a movie back when I was a kid and couldn't afford to buy stuff, I think at one point my sister and I could recite the films lines. I already own it on DVD though so I don't need the BD.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Panon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
Gonstead wrote:
The only issues with it are that it's presented in 16:9 when it should technically be in 4:3.

16:9 is the original aspect ratio.
Rychy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
Definitely buying it! This is my favorite movie of all time, I seriously watch it at least once a year. Characters and music are just great. I love Hot Rod and it always ticks me off he gets overlooked in pretty much every new Transformers iteration.

Kruszer wrote:
This movie is so much fun, I still greatly enjoy it even as an adult. It's also got a really awesome soundtrack. It probably holds the record for the most times I've ever rented a movie back when I was a kid and couldn't afford to buy stuff, I think at one point my sister and I could recite the films lines. I already own it on DVD though so I don't need the BD.

I rented it a ton when I was kid too! I don't know why my mom didn't just buy it. lol. At some point it got really hard to find and I remember being really upset because I couldn't watch it for a long time.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Man, 30 years already? I still remember being so hyped to see this in the theater when I was a kid, and then feeling totally devastated at seeing most of my favorite Autobots getting blown to bits.

Quote:
This movie is so much fun, I still greatly enjoy it even as an adult. It's also got a really awesome soundtrack.

*singing* Dare! Dare to keep alllll yooouuurrr dreams alive!

I haven't seen it in years because I only had a crappy TV-recorded VHS copy and haven't had a VCR in a long time, but I know I still enjoyed it the last time I watched it (as an adult), so I'll probably end up picking this release up at some point, especially if the HD transfer is really done well.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
The only issues with it are that it's presented in 16:9 when it should technically be in 4:3.

16:9 is the original aspect ratio.

It was animated in 4:3, but cropped to 16:9 for the theatrical release, kind of like Project A-ko. IIRC the old VHS releases used the original 4:3 ratio.

Already have the Australian Blu-ray from Madman, so buying the Shout! Factory release will all depend on the features. Like does the new transfer also clean up the dirt and scratches visible in the previous Blu-rays? Does it have the U.S. DVD commentary? Will it have both 16:9 and 4:3 video?
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
Awesome the actual Transformer film is being released on blu ray finally. Yes the Bayformer films are not the real transformers they are CGI piles of metal that Bay slapped Transformer names on that doesn't make them transformers. I will say though that if that is the cover it kind of sucks. The 20th anniversary dvd cover was much better.

http://powet.tv/powetblog/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/tf-dvd-cover-large.jpg
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
Here is the most important question: Will they put in Spike's famous "Ah, shit!" line? Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:22 am Reply with quote
No Subtitles, No Buy, and this is coming from a deaf person.
MadHi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:35 am Reply with quote
I hope they release the 4:3 fullscreen version this time. The widescreen causes some distortion in the picture. Also, this would allow me to start my project whereby I correct all the animation mistakes and stabilize the footage as best I can, unless they're willing to do that.

It'd be a nice touch if they could add the Japanese dub to it. Not that I'd be watching it very much except for comparison's sake.

Speaking of which, why was the original 35mm film print not used in previous HD remasters?

Monster Hunter wrote:
Awesome the actual Transformer film is being released on blu ray finally. Yes the Bayformer films are not the real transformers they are CGI piles of metal that Bay slapped Transformer names on that doesn't make them transformers.

I'm full agreement. I've boycotted Michael Bay films. I refuse to watch anything that guy dishes out as both director and producer. He's the Donald Trump of filmmaking, unless it's mainstream popular anything non-American has to be belittled one way or another in his movies, among other things, he comes off as someone I wouldn't want to meet. I haven't even watched the 4th Bayformers never finished the 2nd and gave Ninja Turtles a miss.

Last edited by MadHi on Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
SteelGolem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:53 am Reply with quote
Since I already own the 20th anniversary DVD, I can't see myself getting this. A blu-ray release won't make the frames look any better to these old eyes. Minor corrections aren't that important to me.

The only way I can see myself getting it is if they add the japanese sound track to it. I can't find the movie in japanese anywhere!
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:10 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen this movie in ages so glad that it's coming out here on blu-ray for the 30th anniversary edition, it's time to visit an era when Transformers were Transformers and not some flashy effects with no emotion. Rolling Eyes
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:51 am Reply with quote
Shout proves once more they GOT THE TOUCH and GOT THE POWAAAAAH! I wonder if they'll release it the same time as Ohranger to give us a very mecha Christmas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2