• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former Ghibli Producer: Women Too 'Realistic' to Direct Fantasy Films

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulinox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Another reason men have always been a better choice to put in the director's chair. Women just can't handle it, really.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Oi. That's sexist.

Just because most of the times animated movies have been directed by men doesn't mean that women can't do a good job at it. It's easy to claim that, but the fact remains that film still remains a largely male-dominated industry, as is/was music. Women are still largely seen as actresses or costume designers, but we're slowly gaining ground on other endeavors in said industry. So saying things like "Women just can't handle it, really" shows how close-minded *some* men are regarding what women can do.

Or should I remind you of Kathryn Bigelow, who won an Academy Award for Best Director?
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I figure the people in the Japanese animation industry should just stop talking nowadays.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Is it sexist? Yes. But the man is entitled to an opinion and, based on his life experiences, it may be a perfectly valid opinion for him to have. Perhaps Ghibli has tried to use female directors before and, for whatever reason, it didn't work.

Really getting tired of people getting blasted for having a non-pc opinion. The majority of people in this world have opinions on different genders, race, sexual preference, etc. Demanding people be fired for voicing those opinions does nothing to change them, and many times, just makes them hold on to those ideas even more.
nagpo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
How is he wrong? To say women and men have the same perspectives on things would be ridiculous, they have different experiences based on almost every life detail from genetics to cultural influences.

He's allowed to have his own thoughts. And Japanese tend to not give a crap about what a bunch of westerners think (thank god).
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
That is a very poorly worded headline. I can see why people might take issue with this, but reading his whole quote, it doesn't come off nearly as derogatory as the headline makes it sound. The headline sounds bad, but it's not a direct quote, and while the implication may be there, he didn't explicitly say women were bad at doing fantasy. Just that "women are good at this, and men are good at that."
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I find this a really weird thing for them to say, especially considering how many talented women Studio Ghibli employs.

doubleO7 wrote:
he didn't explicitly say women were bad at doing fantasy. Just that "women are good at this, and men are good at that."

Artistically speaking, I don't think you can categorize men and women into artistic boxes like this. I've seen tons of art that felt like they were made by men, but were actually made by women, and vice versa.

Last edited by Oneeyedjacks on Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Grrrrrrr... what an idiot.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Is it sexist? Yes. But the man is entitled to an opinion and, based on his life experiences, it may be a perfectly valid opinion for him to have. Perhaps Ghibli has tried to use female directors before and, for whatever reason, it didn't work.

Really getting tired of people getting blasted for having a non-pc opinion. The majority of people in this world have opinions on different genders, race, sexual preference, etc. Demanding people be fired for voicing those opinions does nothing to change them, and many times, just makes them hold on to those ideas even more.

No, it's not valid. Even if he says it based on experience with whatever director he's experimented with, he's invalidating a WHOLE gender based on that experience. That is still sexist as hell. Japan has a lot of issues with sexism, and if you want to speak publicly with representing a company you do NOT make sexist comments. You keep your sexist comments to yourself.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Women tend to be more realistic and manage day-to-day lives very well. Men on the other hand tend to be more idealistic – and fantasy films need that idealistic approach.

This is one of the most ridiculous "women are..., men are..." statements i've ever read...and i've read a lot.
chronos02

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
And here we go again... it's plain obvious men and women are different, both physically and psychologically speaking, but history has proven time and again that those differences are not a handicap to accomplish whatever anyone wants. The real handicap comes from society as a whole and people interializing those beliefs unto themselves, only when we are free from all that bs can we do whatever we want and reach whatever heights we set our mind into. For example, they said women were destined for the kitchen, since men were useless at it, but now look, the best cook in the world (if I'm not mistaken) is a man, would this not work the other way round?

That women are more realistic than men? Sure, generally speaking that might be the case (if that IS the case, I have nfi), and this being Japan, where the stereotype for how a man and a woman should be is ingrained into the younger generations from the get-go, it is no wonder, whatsoever, that this man has said what he has, and he's not at fault, since this is Japan we're talking about, the problem lies in their society, not in the individual.

However, I do wonder if this is like that "talent" thing we hear so much about, could the 99% effort 1% talent be applied here too? I hope not, but then again, no one has reached the pinnacle of anything yet, so that final 1% might never really mark the difference, not now, nor in the future.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
If it's a matter of realism - why not make movies with realistic themes? And even then, I've always felt that women would have a much more fantastical mind than men, who I think would have a sci-fi perspective. Just let a woman direct a movie - for a film company that has many female themes, this is just upsetting (though not Donald Trump upsetting).
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
That is a very poorly worded headline.

He said that women are realistic, men are idealistic, and fantasy requires the idealistic approach.
A headline saying "Women Too 'Realistic' to Direct Fantasy Films" is entirely accurate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Lol the one journalist countered his comment with the Female directors of Michiko to Hatchin and Oregairu. Those are both realistic shows, and that's what Ghibli producer said women were good at.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Women tend to be more realistic and manage day-to-day lives very well. Men on the other hand tend to be more idealistic – and fantasy films need that idealistic approach.

J.K. Rowling would like a word you Laughing
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9