• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To-Do: Auto-italics in articles [Greenlinks]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Something seems to have been recently tweaked on the site that's making it auto-italicize eponymous character names in articles as if they were titles. I first noticed this in the Frenemies article where Naruto's name was always italicized, and I see it again in the Couples article with Utena.

This is rather confusing since it takes me a beat to tell if the author means the character or the series, or wants to deliberately add emphasis, so it's a bit more intrusive than the auto-link for any word or phrase that also happens to be a series title (those are kind of amusing, actually).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
Can you point out an article where this happened ?

I don't think this is a new tweak, I think the editor of that article just didn't notice, and failed to disable the italics.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Since it's been a month, here are the links to the two I mentioned:

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2016-06-08/anime-fiercest-frenemies/.102975 (Naruto is always italicized even if talking about the character)

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2016-06-10/your-favorite-anime-couple/.103082 (same for Utena)

Here's an odd one - not only is Georgie always italiziced, but the exclamation point is added as well.

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2016-06-15/seven-manga-that-need-an-english-release-right-now/.103182

I'm pretty sure I ran across another one, but I forget what it was. Anyway, whatever was happening seems to have resolved itself, since I haven't seen it recently. But if it was merely editorial oversight, it seems strange that 3 such errors suddenly occurred within a week of each other.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
This happens when the title is exactly the same to the name of the protagonist (Naruto, Utena, Doraemon, Inuyasha, Nana, Lupin, etc.) or a proper noun that being mentioned repeatedly (Gundam, Genshiken).

Greenlinks are automatic; the artificial intelligence is not smart enough yet to tell apart whether a word "Naruto" within an article refers to the character or the series. Separating them can only be done manually, one by one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
I'll add fixing this to our to-do list for an upcoming tweak to the greenlinks.

-t
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
For a more recent example, look to Nick Creamer's review of Mob Psycho 100 Episode 5. Every use of the word "one" is replaced with the author "ONE." Since none of his previous reviews do that, I can't tell if this is a new thing, or if someone diligently corrected the previous reviews and was in a hurry this time, or if Nick was making a point that went over my head. All of these seem equally likely. Smile

I guess part of the question is at what point between the writer's computer and mine does the green-link software do its thing?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
For a more recent example, look to Nick Creamer's review of Mob Psycho 100 Episode 5. Every use of the word "one" is replaced with the author "ONE."

I fixed this one by having the greenlinks match only "ONE", not "one". That feature is not used very often so the writers don't always remember it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1