• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harmony between scanlators & publishers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
#857164 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, what do you mean with source material?

There are a lot of so called "Light Novels" that have either manga or anime or both adapted from them. Spice & Wolf would be a good example. If I find I like the anime or manga adaptation I want to go back and read the original. Previously it was frustrating that I couldn't do that. Now Yen Press is at least bring over some of the most popular which helps.

A lot of light novels are apparently getting fan translations. This might be an additional area for you since it likely involves the same Japanese publishers.

Oh, ok, so you meant the light novel! Yes, I plan to included them in the step 2 Anime hyper Step 3 will have manhwa (Korean) and manha (Chinese) too and, possibly, step 4 will be self-publishing!
It's crazy how much potential and work there is to do in this single project, enough for a lifetime... Overwhelming sometimes, but thrilling as hell! xD
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
#857164 wrote:
st_owly wrote:

Yes, yes I will. As Alan has said, there is more manga being released in print than people can keep up with, that includes me. I'm not that bothered about reading the latest cool thing all the kids are banging on about. If you're wanting to do a Shonen Jump style keeping up with Japan thing, if it's not a pay x much per month for unlimited reading, I'm not interested. I'm not going to pay per chapter and risk not liking something/if I do like it, then having to pay more per volume by buying each chapter individually than just waiting *shrugs*

Well, you have much more to risk buying an entire volume than a chap xD You are ok buying a paper version for 5~7€, but don't want to buy a digital chap for 0.5€ because of "the risk"? Anime hyper If you read the previous posts, you will know I already addressed that problem and the platform will give free access to the first couple of chaps.
That's said, I'm not totally against the monthly subscription thing, but it has its technical problems.
The most crucial aspect is that unlimited access means you could download the entire archive without much efforts and that will be the paradise of pirates.

May I ask you how many manga you follow regularly?

I do not have that much money to spend on manga. If I like a series, I want to own the dead tree version, not pay chapter by chapter for a copy that might vanish at a moment's notice and which requires a computer and/or internet connection to read. I already got burned by JManga, and I'm quite simply not willing to take that risk again. I now view digital merely as a way of sampling things, so all I'm willing to pay for is an unlimited subscription model a la Crunchyroll. I don't really care about having a digital copy to own.

Define regularly. In terms of series I'm buying the books of regularly, probably somewhere between 20-30.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I do not have that much money to spend on manga. If I like a series, I want to own the dead tree version, not pay chapter by chapter for a copy that might vanish at a moment's notice and which requires a computer and/or internet connection to read. I already got burned by JManga, and I'm quite simply not willing to take that risk again. I now view digital merely as a way of sampling things, so all I'm willing to pay for is an unlimited subscription model a la Crunchyroll. I don't really care about having a digital copy to own.

Define regularly. In terms of series I'm buying the books of regularly, probably somewhere between 20-30.

Yes, I've studied the JManga case and that's why I want to give the ability to download manga from the start, so you can backup anything you bought and be sure that even if we go down, you will still have what you paid for Wink Sometimes it is also convenient, like when you have to go somewhere without internet.

In your opinion, what was the problem with JManga? Why did it fail?

With "regularly" I mean something like "you buy a volume as soon as it's released" -w-
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't know enough about the behind the scenes of Jmanga to say why it failed (I'd be inclined to say lack of willingness of the Japanese publishers) but all I can say is that it's personally put me off "buy credit for chapters" purchasing models for life. I also found the site rather clunky and difficult to use, so I wasn't that keen on it anyway. Basically, I liked the idea but the execution was somewhat lacking. Call me old fashioned, but if I like something enough to want to own it, I want a physical copy which is mine to keep, not a PDF, even if it is DRM free. I am happy and willing to pay for an all you can eat digital subscription as I view that as a way of sampling a large volume of material cheaply but legally (rather than using illegal scans), which then means I can be more discerning about what I buy for my collection. 2 chapters is not enough to tell whether or not a series is worth sticking with.

Crunchyroll, having started out as pirates, realise that in order to get people to use legal sites, they have to be just as easy or easier to use than pirate sites. If your site is even a modicum more complicated than Manga(wolf like red mammal), and it sounds like it could well be given the dozens of ideas you're throwing around, people just will not use it. People are lazy. I just want the manga equivalent of Crunchyroll. Pay x much per month/year/whatever (or use the ad supported version), and read as much as you want online, with an easy to use interface. No faffing with downloading individual chapters, remembering to buy credits etc etc. Part of the reason I don't read as many scans as I used to, is that I can't be bothered reading them online as you have to scroll around so much to read each page, and finding sites for downloading them to read offline is way too much effort ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I don't know enough about the behind the scenes of Jmanga to say why it failed (I'd be inclined to say lack of willingness of the Japanese publishers) but all I can say is that it's personally put me off "buy credit for chapters" purchasing models for life. I also found the site rather clunky and difficult to use, so I wasn't that keen on it anyway. Basically, I liked the idea but the execution was somewhat lacking. Call me old fashioned, but if I like something enough to want to own it, I want a physical copy which is mine to keep, not a PDF, even if it is DRM free...

I can't really do much for your preference to paper, but please take in mind I'm the user #1, I'm doing all this work because I cannot wait of using it! And yes, I'm a lazy user too, probably even lazier than you xD I think my repulsion to repetitive task is what make me a good programmer lol
Therefore I'll make sure to make it as easier and straightforward as I can. However I think you could give a nice contribution to the project as a beta tester and now I cannot wait to let you & Alan45 play with it Wink
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to having a go at it Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3