• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Take a Tour Inside Shirobako's P.A. Works Studio in Recruitment Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Is it coincidence that the rental rate for their dorms almost matches what they pay?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
15,000 yen per month is extremely affordable, even for a simple dorm.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Skimmed the vid since it looked like 30 minutes of untranslated moe mascot voices & Shirbako clips. Does it say what the regular base pay & per frame pay they'll receive? Based on 200Y/frame (the number that guy who tweeted about anime eyes the other day gave) that works out to $660/month if they meet the 350 target. I'm assuming rent will in practice be closer to $300/month, though it's still reasonable for a fairly expensive area.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
What a nice video. And the area they live in is beautiful and clean.

And while their pay is less than western standards, I was surprised to hear they have an on-campus dorm. That does help with expenditures that animators would've faced living in the Tokyo area, such as daily costs for transportation. Not to mention the bonus of getting to bed fast and getting some decent sleep.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Is it coincidence that the rental rate for their dorms almost matches what they pay?

That's their BASE pay. They get payed for being in actual projects (per still).

Overall while not great it does look like a livable income so better than some of the rumored pay levels that we've seen reported before. It's nice to get some figures on what animatores are actually paid.

Also I do note that they didn't include Glasslip in their montage of produced anime Smile
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
What a nice video. And the area they live in is beautiful and clean.

And while their pay is less than western standards, I was surprised to hear they have an on-campus dorm. That does help with expenditures that animators would've faced living in the Tokyo area, such as daily costs for transportation. Not to mention the bonus of getting to bed fast and getting some decent sleep.

It would be nice if all animation production studios escape from Tokyo. I've read that PA Works only keeps its production coordination team in Tokyo and animation production team in rural area.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

That's their BASE pay. They get payed for being in actual projects (per still).

No, it's their "training pay." It's supplemental money paid out for the first two months because they expect new hires to be too slow to finish stills at a rate to earn any kind of livable wage. After two months, it's based on production only. I couldn't find information anywhere on their website that revealed how much P.A. Works pays per still, but it's likely somewhere around 200 yen per image.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
The harsh truth that many foreigners have to realize is being an animator pays generally pays really bad. To compare, my avg. weekly paycheck is roughly $283.4.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1