• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild NX/Wii U Game's Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korogoro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
I don't care if the game has been delayed like 4 times already, I will wait for this game and I'm absolutely sure I'll love it.... it's Nintendo.... it's ZELDA!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo didn't just drop the mic, they threw that thing so hard it hit the core of the Earth. All it takes is a few minutes of Zelda and nothing else in E3 matters
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Literally the only thing at E3 this year that caught my attention. Looks absolutely fabulous Very Happy It's going to take a while to release but I think (or rather hope) it'll be worth the wait.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
It's... beautiful...

You can do so much!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I have been bitching about the lack of voice acting since 2002 but better late than never! Maybe.
Could you image playing an NX game @ launch with awkward puppet play? The game itself won´t reach the fidelity of The Witcher, Souls and so on from what they showed, but hey, the first open world 3D console Zelda. I actually get a lot of Zelda 86 vibes.
I never burned out on the formulaic TP (the best 3D Zelda) and WW´s and SS´s only missteps were the lack of dungeons, so don´t hope for, nor expect a complete 180. A story that is better than decent would be nice though, as Majora was the first any only time i truly cared about the narrative.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Did you see it?
The Hype.
I see it. Get Hype.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Nintendo didn't just drop the mic, they threw that thing so hard it hit the core of the Earth. All it takes is a few minutes of Zelda and nothing else in E3 matters

Well that's provided you're a Nintendo or Zelda fanboy who doesn't believe that Nintendo needs any other software to help the dying WiiU and the up and coming NX.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Looks pretty good!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Well that's provided you're a Nintendo or Zelda fanboy who doesn't believe that Nintendo needs any other software to help the dying WiiU and the up and coming NX.

Yes, yes, people are happy over something and you don't like that. Look, this is just me stating facts: EVERYONE in the damn gamersphere is talking about Breath of the Wild. Why? Because it's ZELDA, one of the most important gaming franchises in history and every time a new entry comes up you can see their competition's butts collectively clench in fear. That's what happens when you show a series that has lasted for decades and influenced generations of other games (seriously, I would wager at least 90% of games since OoT owe at least feature of their design to it): people have their eyes on you.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Yes, yes, people are happy over something and you don't like that. Look, this is just me stating facts: EVERYONE in the damn gamersphere is talking about Breath of the Wild. Why?

Because Nintendo has nothing else of note to show that people are either largely interested in or has already been shown to people weeks in advance?

AiddonValentine wrote:
Because it's ZELDA, one of the most important gaming franchises in history and every time a new entry comes up you can see their competition's butts collectively clench in fear.

Don't recall anyone clenching their butts in fear over the more divisive Zelda entries like Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, or Windwaker much less the more popular entries like Ocarina of Time & Link To The Past.

AiddonValentine wrote:
That's what happens when you show a series that has lasted for decades and influenced generations of other games

And also when you want to advertise a game that's coming out next spring for a new system alongside one you can't bury fast enough.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
This looks awesome but why is link right handed again for some strange reason.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Yes, yes, people are happy over something and you don't like that. Look, this is just me stating facts: EVERYONE in the damn gamersphere is talking about Breath of the Wild. Why? Because it's ZELDA, one of the most important gaming franchises in history and every time a new entry comes up you can see their competition's butts collectively clench in fear. That's what happens when you show a series that has lasted for decades and influenced generations of other games (seriously, I would wager at least 90% of games since OoT owe at least feature of their design to it): people have their eyes on you.

WOW, overreact much? Yes, practically everyone is talking about Zelda, but practically everyone is excited about many other games as well. Persona 5, The Last Guardian, Resident Evil 7, Death Stranding, Final Fantasy XV, Insomniac's Spider-man, ReCore, Gravity Rush 2, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, South Park, NieR: Automata, etc. You must have really selective vision if you think Zelda is the only thing people are talking about. And if it's just people who only buy Nintendo systems you're listening to, well duh they're only talking about Zelda because it's all Nintendo has to show us! Which to me is kind of a risky move to push the NX with as A) it's not exclusive so Wii U owners won't necessarily feel compelled to upgrade immediately, and B) Zelda does good sales numbers but it's not the sales juggernaut that either Mario Kart or Smash have become.

"All it takes is a few minutes of Zelda and nothing else in E3 matters" I mean, REALLY? You honestly think none of these games I listed matter? If you're not interested in them, fair enough, but I'm pretty sure most would agree that means you have a rather narrow interest in games.

Also, who cares what influences what, something influenced by something else is perfectly capable of being superior to the thing it was influenced by. Also, the Zelda series still won't budge on giving us the simplest of requests: a female Link since Link is supposed to represent the player so a gender option is the LEAST they could do. Instead: "We thought about it and decided that if we're going to have a female protagonist it's simpler to have Princess Zelda as the main character. ...if we have princess Zelda as the main character who fights, then what is Link going to do? Taking into account that, and also the idea of the balance of the Triforce, we thought it best to come back to this [original] makeup."

SIGH. It's not as bad as Ubisoft's "derr, girls are hard to program and expensive!" for Assassin's Creed or Tri-Force Heroes' "derr, the prophecy refers to three male heroes so our hands are tied!" (oh, really? You mean the fictional prophecy written by your development team?!) but still has the same stupid logic behind it. Why would it be simpler to have Zelda as the main character as opposed to a Game B where Link is female and Zelda is male (or GASP, both are female! You know, unless Nintendo has an issue with that sort of romance.....)? Also, why can't Zelda fight? It didn't create an issue in OoT or WW! I think some of these developers are actually against the idea of these particular female characters taking a more active role if they've traditionally been more passive (so Samus is safe outside of bad writing COUGH Other M COUGH). It's a shame as I know The Last of Us was quite successful in Japan and if we can't get a female Link option I would have at least loved for Zelda to join Link as an Ellie-gameplay style companion. It would give the character a more active role and offer more variety in combat and puzzles. But sadly I guess even that was too much to ask for.

To be clear, I still think the game looks great. But I'm just disappointed at this borderline refusal to listen to fans and unwillingness to break from tradition.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
This looks awesome but why is link right handed again for some strange reason.

I dunno about the promo art, but maybe there's a setting for it in-game.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Im not even a Zelda fan and this looks amazing and fun!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
-snip-

Hey, if he didn't want to get chewed out all he had to do was just walk away. Don't want to get a bloody nose, then don't take a swing at someone minding their own business. Plus it's a bit bizarre for you to accuse me of overreacting when you just wrote a dissertation on me. And how it still doesn't detract from the fact that BotW is indeed one of the biggest news stories coming out of E3. Oops.

Anyway, did anyone else catch the Treehouse streams they did of this? Holy crap, they had to do separate segments for all the different aspects of gameplay like the Shrines, cooking, using the different tools, equipment, Amiibo, and even had a segment outside of the normal E3 area of the Plateau. To think that's merely a fraction of what the actual world is. Heads are going to explode when this game comes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2