• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya on Home Video in September

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Back when they announced Lucky Star, I was certain a Haruhi Suzumiya announcement would come sooner or later, hopefully by mid-summer, and boy was I right! I'm SO glad both Lucky Star and this series are coming out this year, but I was not expecting such a HUGE and AMAZING collector's edition, with all the spin-offs and the more recent Yuki-chan anime to be included as well! And that cheeky line about the filler box being the same size as a blu-ray case for something else...very sneaky, FUNimation.

Hopefully between LS and Haruhi, this might be a Code Geass announcement before the end of summer. WIth the rumors of an Akito The Exiled dub release from some outlets, I'm hoping Code Geass gets a similar Collector's Edition treatment, with both seasons and room for the Akito films to fit into a huge chipboard slipcase!

Well, time to save up a huge chunk of money for this. I can only imagine the CE set will cost at least $120 with the sheer number of BDs included.

-Marc.
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
Any chance of them releasing The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya? The movie was great, but not $170 great.

I agree, the movie was exceptionally good but no way near that price tag good - is any movie 'that' good? o.O
chito895

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely happy with this announcement. Haruhi is one of my favorite anime and I was pissed that there was no release since Funi got the rights in 2013, IIRC.

And as I've said before, I'm willing to pay anything for that LE edition. And it seems to contain more than I was expecting. Yuki-chan wasn't exactly very compelling for me, but now that I'm reading the manga, I can stand it (especially that amazing disappearance arc).

Hopefully the Disappearance movie will be available soon.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I already own copies of everything except The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan on DVD but, depending on the price, I may be tempted to get the LE to have all of it on BD; based on what the article says I should just be able to store my copy of Bandai's release of the movie (I have the BD/DVD combo) in the same box. It may look odd, but so what.
Shugo Takahashi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
-snip-

Last edited by Shugo Takahashi on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vash1306

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
I already own copies of everything except The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan on DVD but, depending on the price, I may be tempted to get the LE to have all of it on BD; based on what the article says I should just be able to store my copy of Bandai's release of the movie (I have the BD/DVD combo) in the same box. It may look odd, but so what.
The FUNImation CE box will be Blu-ray sized. So you can't fit the Bandai release of the movie unless you buy a empty blu-ray case.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the price is realistic. I assume it will be, since it's Funimation...I'm expecting less than 100 for this # of episodes (for just season 1+season 2 I mean). 30-40 dollars for 12-13 episodes is about right IMO. I see they list their pre-orders for other shows at $48 dollars...tad bit higher but not too crazy for 12 episodes.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Ah the memories of when this show first came out. Nostalgia Embarassed Won't be picking up this release because I already own it but it's good to see relatively older series seeing a nice re release treatment.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I've got all of the original Haruhi + spinoffs on DVD from Bandai and the movie on Blu-Ray. I don't know if it will be worth the upgrade. The series is 10 years old, so I wonder how much better the picture quality will be. Have to wait and see on a price as well.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
So now we know when Haruhi is coming out but when will Strike Witches movie coming out
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
YES! Finally I can own The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya on Blu-Ray especially since I missed out on the original Bandai release now I can own a great series in a fantastic Collectors Edition box set. Very Happy
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Used to own the Bandai releases of seasons 1, 2, Disappearance & Haruhi-chan and with the exception of a certain arc in S2, it was a good series with an excellent conclusion in the Disappearance film.

I'm usually not a fan of FUNi's LEs & CEs (AssClass S1's LE being an exception because of the case's cover art being better than the RE) but in this case, I have no choice but to buy this because FUNi's releasing the Haruhi-chan & Nyoron! Churuya-san BD only through the UCE while the separate RE for those shorts will be DVD-only so that kinda sucks but there is a positive to buying it because judging by the packaging & covers of both editions, the UCE's covers look A LOT better than the RE's with the crappy all-red backgrounds that they're using here (seriously FUNi, you could have used a similar background to one of Bandai's releases for the 1 & 2 set and it would look MUCH better than this). The Yuki-chan RE cover looks nice though and doesn't look as bad.

With that said, there are some things about this release that I'm wondering about:

1. Which BD masters did they get for season 1? It was produced in SD but Japan upscaled it a second time for their 2014 re-release and there are some differences between that and the original 2010 release (see here).

angelmcazares wrote:
In Funimation's website it says that seasons 1 and 2 are "presented in the same rebroadcast order used on the Japanese Blu-ray release". Does anyone know if that is in chronological order?

Indeed, what does this mean? The 2014 release of S1 had the episodes in their 2006 broadcast order so is this going to be like that, the 2009 broadcast order (probably not) or chronological order again like on the Bandai DVDs?

Last edited by NJ_ on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I'm gonna have to set aside $150 or so in September for the Collector's Edition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Bought the first Japanese BD box set back in the day. Still annoyed that they re-released it with the TV next episode previews... (>.<)
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

angelmcazares wrote:
In Funimation's website it says that seasons 1 and 2 are "presented in the same rebroadcast order used on the Japanese Blu-ray release". Does anyone know if that is in chronological order?

Indeed, what does this mean? The 2014 release of S1 had the episodes in their 2006 broadcast order so is this going to be like that, the 2009 broadcast order (probably not) or chronological order again like on the Bandai DVDs?

Since they mentioned both seasons, I'm guessing the box set they are referring to is the 2010 one that has both seasons in the chronological order.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4