• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya on Home Video in September

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Wow, finally. Did they really have to sit on that license for two years? Rolling Eyes
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched the TV series on Blu-ray in a while. The design for their box looks similar to the Japanese one! Too bad they didn't get the two live events (or did they?) "The Symphony of Haruhi Suzumiya" is amazing.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Wow, finally. Did they really have to sit on that license for two years? Rolling Eyes

Oh yes, because I'm sure they deliberately sat on the license of a popular series while twiddling their thumbs. Rolling Eyes

All of the former Bandai rescues seem to have been a headache, especially the Sunrise ones . Where the hell is my Big O re-release?
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:
Oh yes, because I'm sure they deliberately sat on the license of a popular series while twiddling their thumbs. Rolling Eyes

It would've been a lot less annoying if they'd just stated right away that there would be a two year delay before an actual release. It's pretty frustrating when anime licensors announce something you've been looking forward to for a while only to go into complete silence afterwards.
kireblue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:21 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

angelmcazares wrote:
In Funimation's website it says that seasons 1 and 2 are "presented in the same rebroadcast order used on the Japanese Blu-ray release". Does anyone know if that is in chronological order?

Indeed, what does this mean? The 2014 release of S1 had the episodes in their 2006 broadcast order so is this going to be like that, the 2009 broadcast order (probably not) or chronological order again like on the Bandai DVDs?

Since they mentioned both seasons, I'm guessing the box set they are referring to is the 2010 one that has both seasons in the chronological order.

The rebroadcast order is a combination of the episodes of season 1 and season 2 in chronological order. Its important to label this as "rebroadcast order" and not simply "chronological order" because of how some of the episodes in season 2 take place before the end of season 1. Chronological order could suggest that all the season 1 episodes are numbered first. And so "rebroadcast order" is used to distinguish the order in which the relative season of a particular episode was ignored and simply played in its order on the Haruhi timeline.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
kireblue wrote:
The rebroadcast order is a combination of the episodes of season 1 and season 2 in chronological order. Its important to label this as "rebroadcast order" and not simply "chronological order" because of how some of the episodes in season 2 take place before the end of season 1. Chronological order could suggest that all the season 1 episodes are numbered first. And so "rebroadcast order" is used to distinguish the order in which the relative season of a particular episode was ignored and simply played in its order on the Haruhi timeline.

Since they re-animated the originally S1 eps., I prefer to think of S2 as including everything, and in in-universe chronological order. Let's just forget about that silly out-of-order gimmick.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 am Reply with quote
Yeah, now that I think about it, if it really was in chronological order, That Mikuru Asahina episode would be episode 11 & not 1 like it has been since the beginning.

Ah well, that answers that question then, thanks.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
KoujiTamino wrote:

It would've been a lot less annoying if they'd just stated right away that there would be a two year delay before an actual release. It's pretty frustrating when anime licensors announce something you've been looking forward to for a while only to go into complete silence afterwards.

I remember reading that someone from Funimation said that they were having trouble getting the material from the Japanese companies for the series they rescued from Bandai. I might have been at a convention or something, I don't remember. They didn't want to wait this long, it's just the Japan side was slow. Older series has less priority to them the newest hits.

At this point, Code Geass is probably the last big series Funimation hasn't released yet.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

You are making another assumption, which is that they knew from the beginning it would be that long.

The alternative is to keep quiet about any licensing until a property is ready to schedule for release, which would leave people in the dark about anyone having licensed the property. If you subscribe to that "ignorance is bliss" policy, don't worry, I suspect that is exactly what they've adopted sometime in the interim.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:49 am Reply with quote
Funimation had better make it look GOOD.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
In retrospect, I bought all of Haruhi from DDD for a pittance including the BD movie so I could spend a bit more on it for the Ultimate...

Wait, no music? I many shows that came with soundtracks that I could do without, this is the franchise where the music rightfully has shows of its own. Just CD, a single even? Oh well... Bandai did it.

I'd like to see Melancholy and Sigh complete on their own Disk for once... probably should put the "elephant in the room" on its own disk while you're at it... So many details needed and other things left out, so much unnecessary fan fiction-"official" licensed or not, it's what it is- included in the set.

While it is better than either Bandai set I have, the standard edition cover is awful; Both of my Haruhi covers have similar drawings of her pointing, one well designed and neatly centered and the other is the season two cover. This is the season 2 cover.

Just to make a point; Her hand shouldn't be larger than her face. Sure, the red doesn't help but the image had problems before that, I know...

I know it was a long time coming but if this is what they offer for the standard version, would another week have hurt?
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
I'm absolutely ecstatic about this. I still have all my DVDs but the compression on them is terrible. I had been considering buying the Japanese Blu-ray release since it comes with English subs/dub - glad I hadn't yet because this collector's edition looks amazing, and I'll be able to get Yuki-chan while I'm at it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
I missed buying any of Haruhi from Bandai so I'm glad this is finally getting an announcement. Though I have absolutely no interest in either of the spin-off shorts or Nagato Yuki-chan so I guess I'll have to pass on the Collector's Edition, but that's fine by me. Save myself a little bit of money.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
I'm curious what the price will be. Like several others here, I have Bandai's DVDs for Haruhi already, so I can pretty easily hold off if need be. Actually, the movie is the only time I ever paid MSRP at Right Stuf. Bandai USA had announced it was closing, and copies of the movie were already low enough that Right Stuf put a counter on them on their site, so I figured $30 was a decent price under the circumstances. The Season 2 set that I got on Amazon, with soundtrack, was pretty cheap in comparison, though I would guess that Endless Eight had something to do with that.

Razor/Edge wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:
KoujiTamino wrote:

I remember reading that someone from Funimation said that they were having trouble getting the material from the Japanese companies for the series they rescued from Bandai. I might have been at a convention or something, I don't remember. They didn't want to wait this long, it's just the Japan side was slow. Older series has less priority to them the newest hits.

At this point, Code Geass is probably the last big series Funimation hasn't released yet.

Justin Rojas mentioned this on ANncast. Essentially, they are, or at least were, still waiting on materials from Japan, especially where Sunrise is concerned. As TheAncientOne stated, it's pretty doubtful that they knew that they would be stuck waiting. Zac asked about whether there was anything they could do to speed it along, and it was stated that this would probably be considered poor form and have a negative impact on future licenses. It's not like Funimation wanted to spend money and get stuck waiting. And the alternative to not announcing the licenses at the time would be to leave people in the dark as to whether the titles would be license rescued at all.

I certainly understand the frustration, I mean I'm still waiting for the Steins;Gate movie, but there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that we simply never see.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:

That was for the Sunrise titles, both Haruhi & Lucky Star are from Kadokawa and AFAIK, they never explained what was going on with those...though with it being Kadokawa, it's no surprise that it took so long since FUNi has had issues with them going back to when they originally planned on releasing Strike Witches 2 on the same month as the Japanese Blu-ray box set back in 2012.

Quote:

And Outlaw Star maybe, that show has gotten a good amount of hype since the Japanese Blu-ray box set came out in 2014.

rizuchan wrote:
I'm absolutely ecstatic about this. I still have all my DVDs but the compression on them is terrible.

Yeah, I remember some weird video problem showing up during some scene changes in episodes and also one of the ASOS Brigade extras freezing up on two different DVD players even when the disc was in perfect condition. Hope that doesn't happen again, especially for the latter.

EDIT: Crap, looks like the ASOS Brigade extras are missing from the set. Confused

Last edited by NJ_ on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4