• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of June 3-9

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
meiam wrote:
You also have to consider that some people hatewatch show and even vote for show they haven't watched themselves.

With last season's kerfuffle I hope this is being at least counted for this time.

They did implement a fix to account for the kerfuffle last season after the spamming was discovered and investigated last season
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
One odd question since this is my first time reading one of these things: does Joker Game's 9th place show ratting mean it's not as good as people once thought or is it still good but other shows are showing more quality?

It's not its place in the rankings so much as the direction of the graph. If the graph is going steadily upward, that means it's pleasing more people who watch it each time it's on, but that could be diehard fans are sticking around. But with Re: zero and Tanaka-kun the word is more people are watching and enjoying it because they're drawn in by the good ratings.

If it's steady that means that people are getting what they expect, and then the rating number is important; a steady 4 is different than a steady 2.

If it's going downhill that's just a bad sign all around. For me Joker game started out very strong, then became repetitive and the lack of a whole story arc really weakened what it could have been. So it kept going down for me until I dropped it. But, YMMV.
crx07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Ass Class overtook Flying Witch in the cumulative because it has done better overall so far. The cumulative is slower than the weekly, so it moving in the opposite direction as the weekly is not an anomaly. If you look at all the weeks, Ass Class has been above Flying Witch more often than not, so it falling so far in the cumulative in the prior three weeks is actually a little more unusual than it returning to its prior mean.
I still believe it as an "anomaly". AssClass never beat Flying Witch since ep19.
But I have a conjecture why it happened. This is confusing but please bear with it.
Assumptions:
1. There are more FW > AssClass votes than AssClass > FW votes in the cumulative rankings
2. There are more KnK > FW votes than FW > KnK votes.
3. There are more AssClass > KnK votes than KnK > AssClass votes.
4. There are more KnK > FW votes than FW > AssClass votes
5. There are no other anime ranked
If we directly rank FW and AssClass, FW is the winner (assumption 1). But if we use KnK as our judging point, then AssClass beats FW (assumptions 2 and 3). I believe there are more votes of the latter than the earlier (assumption 4), so AssClass beats FW. If we hold assumption 5, then I'm 100% sure. If we drop assumption 5, then I'm around 100% sure. MHA rating is only the potential factor that can affect my conjecture but IMO it can't. All other anime can't since their lead/loss are too far away IMO.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
#844903 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Ass Class overtook Flying Witch in the cumulative because it has done better overall so far. The cumulative is slower than the weekly, so it moving in the opposite direction as the weekly is not an anomaly. If you look at all the weeks, Ass Class has been above Flying Witch more often than not, so it falling so far in the cumulative in the prior three weeks is actually a little more unusual than it returning to its prior mean.
I still believe it as an "anomaly". AssClass never beat Flying Witch since ep19.
But I have a conjecture why it happened. This is confusing but please bear with it.
Assumptions:
1. There are more FW > AssClass votes than AssClass > FW votes in the cumulative rankings
If we directly rank FW and AssClass, FW is the winner (assumption 1). But if we use KnK as our judging point, then AssClass beats FW (assumptions 2 and 3). I believe there are more votes of the latter than the earlier (assumption 4), so AssClass beats FW. If we hold assumption 5, then I'm 100% sure. If we drop assumption 5, then I'm around 100% sure. MHA rating is only the potential factor that can affect my conjecture but IMO it can't. All other anime can't since their lead/loss are too far away IMO.

Yeah, given the closeness of the raw ratings of both, its likely that Assassination Classroom beats Flying Witch in preferences. Without the raw data, I can't speak to which assumption is correct. But 2 is plausible, at least towards the beginning and 3 is plausible at this point, given the ratings of the the last episode in the rankings (and the most recent one as well)
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
#844903 wrote:
Assumptions:

Good conjecture Smile

Without giving away the numbers, I can confirm that
1. AssClass > KnK
2. Knk > FW
3. FW > AssClass

This rock-paper-scissors nonlinear situation is resolved, through the magic of the Schulze method, with AssClass coming on top. But it could easily reverse next week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
#844903 wrote:
I expect Re:Zero to drop on its weekly rankings next weeks. So my guess is that Re:Zero cannot overtake JoJo in its cumulative unless JoJo flops.

Just to let you know, but as far as ratings go Re Zero has been scoring nothing lower than 4.1 this season. The show has not scored anything lower then 4.6 since episode 6 and has an astonishing 4.8 on episode 7. So, just judging from those numbers, it has only ever gone up in ratings,

What makes you think it will drop now? Especially seeing that, if you followed the show you would know that, episode 11 is the closing episode to the current arc and has gotten the show a lot of attention (twitter in particular blow up with episode 11).
crx07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
What makes you think it will drop now? Especially seeing that, if you followed the show you would know that, episode 11 is the closing episode to the current arc and has gotten the show a lot of attention (twitter in particular blow up with episode 11).
I forgot to take ep11 into account. What I mean is ep12 and further since it's the start of arc 3. Re:Zero went down after finishing arc 1. But it could be because of the SoL-ish nature of the episodes. ep11 may even help re:zero beat jojo in the cumulative this season but IMO that ep is the only chance since the season will end very soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2