• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Libre Ends Publishing Agreement With Digital Manga, Inc.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
I didn't even know that DMI existed until now. I guess that's a win for them in some small way.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
Yet another reason I'm glad I don't waste my time with licensed series. If I want to support an author, I'll buy the original Japanese and read fan translations. Companies that aren't under the umbrella of the Japanese publisher wind up going under and leaving fans in the lurch.

Perhaps this is a lesson learned. Lobby the Japanese publisher for your English translation (and help generate demand for Japan-based translators--there are a lot of us here who would love to work on more series) instead of relying on non-Japanese companies that are liable to go bankrupt or lose their licensing agreements, as we've so often seen in the past.
oriana3k

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Heh, "unjust." I'm sure Libre is perfectly justified in wanting to pull their books from a publisher that can't keep them in print.

I hope this means we'll soon see more Libre releases from SuBLime. Their ebooks have always been much higher quality than DMI's.
Nazca Lily #837256

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
I wondered how long it would take Libre to become disappointed with DMI. With all the backlog of titles that have yet to be released and the crazy demand for some of the popular series like Finder having volumes out of print and needing a Kickstarter to reprint all of them.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
Those titles are kinda cursed. First it was the Biblos drama with CPM/BeBeautiful, now this?
MelonPunch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
Maybe now they can be published with a company that can actually keep the titles in print. I'm sick of telling customers that we can't order the early books in a series that's still being released because they are out of print. Half the time we don't even get books we've preordered through our distros because they don't print enough!

Ever since they pulled back from selling to bookshops and focused on Kickstarter it has gotten worse.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:22 am Reply with quote
I stopped buying from DMI/june manga a while ago due to their publishing practices (last book I bought from them was Twittering Birds 2, and the amount of times publication was delayed made me decide never to trust them with series again). Maybe those books will go to a decent publisher now, one that respects customers.
Nazca Lily #837256

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
I know RightStuff stopped posting titles for pre-order because they couldn't get any of the books in stock when DMI said the books would available. Yes, I'm aware that dates can shift but when it comes and goes and no updates...

Twittering Birds vol 1 got a different/updated translation and that was in one of the Sakira Kickstarter tiers.
CYNRHEL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
I think ima hate DMI since alot of titles I love/ like and followed got stop just like that e__e

I love to collect books but almost of the manga I love got so delayed and made me decide never ever to trust them with series again. Hopefully there is more better publisher that I can trust in the near future.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
I figured that this was inevitable. I thought it was interesting that several artists with whom DMP had licensed, like Ayano Yamane, had new material being released through Viz's Sublime label. I figured it would only be a matter of time before the Japanese licensor would realize that they'd make more money going through Viz instead. Looks like my hunch was right.

I'm sad to see DMP suffer this loss. I know it can be frustrating to not be able to order books, but there are some nice people that work on their Junè label. I'd really hate to see any of these people lose their jobs over this.
ShaunHastings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:35 am Reply with quote
I actually thought the June line was dead years ago as whenever I would preorder things they would never come in and I'd never see anything except old stock titles at conventions.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
I hope SuBLime rerelease Finder and Kizuna as I missed the earlier volumes, and have no hope in hell of finding them second hand for a reasonable price.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
Well thats kind of good if they go to viz or so for it. DMI/June could never have stuff that was in print, everything was always e book or buy from their exclusive site while other retailers got the series way late.
Aisama

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprise. I have already given up purchasing anything new from them even if a series is of interest to me because what i hate most is have incomplete collection. They have a hard time publishing AND keeping their books in stock. Especially their on-going series where most of the early volumes are out-of-print which leave those who wanted complete collection to hold back on buying any new volume of the series.

Of course, I'm a bit sad that June suffer more loss, but i hope that they'll take this chance to re-organize their management and become great again because we need more than one reliable yaoi publisher in the states.

I also hope that Sublime will pick up the Finder series.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised. DMI has had a skeevy reputation for a couple of years now and haven't kept the books in print like we'd been told they would. Hopefully the series will be picked up by someone else. Finder at least is a sure money maker.

And what a dick thing for DMI to say, that it's basically them or scary scanlations. No, maybe some company will actual publish the books in English so people can read them without being extorted through Kickstarter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5