• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Stereotypical Otaku Fashion Trending Among Teen Girls in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Well... As they say, what's fashionable [or unfashionable] can change greatly when one least expects it...
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
That second outfit looks like what Steve Urkel wore.

"Did IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII do thaaaaaaaaaaaat?"

Laughing Laughing Laughing
bhl88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
If only some of those "otaku girls" can get together with some real "otaku guys", it'll be nerd heaven. I was a nerd in the '70's and it's good to see girls not sticking with "fashion" created by the media to objectify them and making their own individual statements instead.

Japan Today:
According to the representative, “It is not so much a matter of if there are more otaku males or females, or which of the two is more deeply involved in otaku culture; the difference is in the ‘quality’ of their obsession. For instance, a guy will spend over 9,000 yen on a cute anime girl hug pillow because they prefer expensive, high-quality material. If the same kind of pillow is made from a cheaper polyester material, it won’t sell.”

Otaku girls, on the other hand, aren’t particular about expensive items (and are probably less interested in fornicating with pillows). “Women are realists,” says our insider, “the most they will spend is 3,000 to 4,000 yen on something like CDs. 300 yen clear plastic folders with characters on them are best-sellers. Female otaku like to buy a number of small things at once.”

Women seem to be more frugal in their obsession. Does that mean men pay more attention to quality? “I think that when it comes to being otaku, men are more emotional and simply are more picky about what they want.“

There are other notable differences in men and women otaku. “Women tend to branch out from their original object of obsession, showing interest in other things related to it, whereas men have a tendency to be more narrow in what they fancy.”

There is also a difference in the way men and women view the voices behind their favorite anime characters. “If a guy likes a character and feels it doesn’t have a suitable dubber, to a certain extent, it doesn’t affect how much he likes her. But for female otakus, feelings toward the voice actor and the character are one and the same, and therefore it is very important that they match perfectly.”

Additionally, males tend to love their characters exclusively. Factors other than that character’s appearance or personality don’t really come into play. For females, character relationships, background, and the overall story-line in which the character is involved in all play a part in her feelings for the character.

“Women mostly like to sit back and watch over the relationships taking place, not placing themselves in the picture. Men, on the other hand, are much more possessive of their favorite character” Another key difference, he adds, is that “a number of otaku women fixate on women characters too. In this case, they are like men in that they tend to like that character exclusively and will purchase expensive items like the men do.”

Last edited by bhl88 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
@bhl Japan Today?

Your quote seems to be from a RocketNews article from December 2012(written by Karen Bremer Masuda, translator/writer for the site), which in itself is a translation of an interview published in Excite Bit News a few days earlier. No hits on the contents ever appearing in Japan Today as far as I can find.

Sorry for the nitpick, but seeing inaccurate sources tend to rub me the wrong way...
bhl88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
@bhl Japan Today?

Your quote seems to be from a RocketNews article from December 2012(written by Karen Bremer Masuda, translator/writer for the site), which in itself is a translation of an interview published in Excite Bit News a few days earlier. No hits on the contents ever appearing in Japan Today as far as I can find.

Sorry for the nitpick, but seeing inaccurate sources tend to rub me the wrong way...

It's fine. Was just Googling why otaku girls don't date otaku guys" and it came up in Japan Today (with rocket news as the original).

Edit (found another in bangin.wordpress.com):
If you are a male otaku, would you like to date a female otaku? Would you like an otaku girlfriend? The reason why I am asking this is because I heard a conversation like this in となりの801ちゃん[Tonari no Yaoi-chan]. There is a scene where the three fujoshis have a chat at the cafe(腐女子会議, fujoshi meeting).

A: あたし最近、腐女子を隠すのが面倒になっちゃって、最近彼氏と別れちゃったの。[You know, I broke up with my boyfriend a while ago because I got tired of hiding my fujoshi tastes.]

B: じゃあオタクと付き合えば?[So why don’t you date an otaku?]

A: 嫌よ!オタクなんて自分の萌え話ばっかりでこっちの話全然聞かないもん![No way! Otakus never listen to me, but just talk about their moe stuff!]

In this way, female otakus seem to care about how general people feel about otaku more than male do. Even though fujoshis dwell on the fantasy world, they can actually distinguish 2D and 3D. So I think this is why there is a term 隠れ腐女子[kakure fusjohi] and 隠れオタク[kakure otaku] which means hiding fujoshi and hiding otaku. Unless they go to such otakish spots, they never talk about otaku things. And they good take care of their looking so that other people can’t tell they are actually otaku. I guess they are not willing to get in 痛車[itasha] even if it belongs to her boyfriend…
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess my unwavering obsession with Vash is like male otaku, lmao.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Any significance to the use of ヲ instead of オ for otaku? I don't recall seeing it spelled that way before...
LightYapper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:45 am Reply with quote
Boy, trends sure change constantly, usually from one end to the other. I guess this lets some female otakus be bolder in expressing themselves, but others might just disprove the entire trend for not matching their demands. Rolling Eyes
shosakukan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Any significance to the use of ヲ instead of オ for otaku? I don't recall seeing it spelled that way before...

The non-standard spelling "ヲタク" is now widely used in Japan.
I bought and read 『ヲタクに恋は難しい』 by Fujita in the original, a manga about white-collar otaku, and the title of the manga uses the spelling "ヲタク".
To use the non-standard spelling "ヲタク" can add various connotations/stylistic feelings (such as humor, contrariness, and so on. It depends) to the term.

If you visit 2ch, you can often see non-standard Japanese usages.
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

This makes me feel old. Shocked

Though on topic I can dig it. I have a thing for nerdy looking girls.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
shosakukan wrote:
Covnam wrote:

The non-standard spelling "ヲタク" is now widely used in Japan.
I bought and read 『ヲタクに恋は難しい』 by Fujita in the original, a manga about white-collar otaku, and the title of the manga uses the spelling "ヲタク".
To use the non-standard spelling "ヲタク" can add various connotations/stylistic feelings (such as humor, contrariness, and so on. It depends) to the term.

If you visit 2ch, you can often see non-standard Japanese usages.

Interesting. Thanks Smile
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Ah, Steve Urkel--
Poster image for the old saying that "'Nerd culture' is made by the outsiders, 'Geek culture' is made by the insiders..."

(Meaning, no real nerd in human history has ever dressed the way trendy jokes think "nerds look like".
Put that alongside the current--well, "racist" wouldn't be the word, but "trendist"?--mainstream Japanese stereotypes toward "All those Geeky Girl-Phobic Anime/Manga-Fan NEET's" otaku-bashing, and you can see how social intolerance starts getting a little disturbing when it turns cute and marketable.)
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh Japan...Oh Japan Razz I guess they can make anything trendy...somehow
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2