• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Happy 20th Anniversary to the Nintendo 64 Console & Super Mario 64 Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Nostalgia!
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
One of the best games in the series!!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Here's to the console which still cannot be fully emulated by unofficial means, even twenty years beyond its genesis, no pun intended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Enrique Suárez

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Happy 20th birthday N64 Smile
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Ah...Such sweet memories... The rich adventures of Super Mario 64, the thrilling races of Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing, and the fun mini-games of Mario Party... Very good times. Anime catgrin

Happy 20th Anniversary, N64.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to feel old right now.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Happy 20th birthday to my very first console. My mother bought me this console and Pokemon Snap from a K-Mart in the fall of 1999, when I was 5 years old. The reason? I braved my first dental surgery --- getting fillings put in. I wanted the Sega Dreamcast, but it was too expensive. Later that day my brother took me to Meijer and we decided on Star Wars Episode I Racer.

Other early games I had included Mario Kart 64 (of course. First N64 game I ever played), Doom 64, Quake 1 & 2 (Quake 1 also turned 20 yesterday or the day before -- my God), and WCW Nitro. I went on to amass a sizeable collection by the time I moved on from it, around a decade ago.

I don't even have it anymore, it got ruined and died. I did get a replacement, but I can't remember what happened to that one.

So yeah, happy birthday, N64! I can now officially say I'm getting old.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
You report on this, but not the fact that it's Sonic's 25th anniversary!
JDude042

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I remember quite clearly back when it first came out in late 96. My birthday was in September and I was in my early teens, me and my mom going to KB Toys and I got the Nintendo 64 and Super Mario 64 for my birthday. I played and enjoyed it a lot, but sadly I only remember owning my Nintendo 64 for a little over a year before I switched over to the Sony Playstation and became a Playstation fan. If I recall, I owned the following games for the N64:

-Super Mario 64
-Mortal Kombat Trilogy
-Wave Race 64
-Killer Instinct Gold
-Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
-Mario Kart 64
-Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
-Doom 64
-War Gods
-Diddy Kong Racing
-Star Fox 64
-Bomberman 64
-WCW Vs. NWO: World Tour

While there were definitely some games in that list that I really enjoyed, the system really failed in the RPG department, and Square was giving the Playstation all the attention. I also had a friend who owned the Playstation and got introduced to Final Fantasy VII and Tekken 2 through him, so I went ahead and traded in all my Nintendo 64 stuff around September of 97 and got a PS1, along with Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Tekken 3. Looking back, I do not regret the decision one bit, especially being a RPG fan. The Playstation was just a juggernaut back in the day with so many fun games being released. It just seems like Nintendo's success with home consoles started going downhill ever since the Nintendo 64, although the Wii did extremely well because of how they marketed it. It just seems like the Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and Wii U have all been failures when it comes to sales.

For that matter, what were they smoking with the whole "putting 64 at the end of everything?" Lets port Mega Man Legends to the N64 and call it, "Mega Man 64." Oh really?! I must have missed Mega Man 9-63 at the time. Laughing I guess people can't differentiate the N64 version and the PS1 version without it having "64" at the end of it. It seems the protocol for titling N64 games was just to use the name of the game and slap 64 at the end of it, save for a handful of titles that surprisingly didn't put 64 at the end of it.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
Although I never owned a Nintendo 64 I do remember playing it all the time at my friends house my favorite games being Super Mario Bros and Donkey Kong so Happy 20th anniversary Nintendo 64 next up the Nintendo GameCube which turns 20 in 2021. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
Ah GoldenEye 007, everybody played that instead of studying for the finals! Laughing
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote
That time Nintendo decided to turn down the partnership with Sony and stick to cartridges.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
Congrats. Also, August 23 is the 25th anniversary of the SNES launch in North America.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
Wow...20 years. And I still have mine and my copy of Mario 64...Laughing
InuKag1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Still got mine along with Banjo Tooie, Super Smash Bros., Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Puzzle League, and Jetforce Gemini
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2