• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Reveals U.S. Debut Dates for Kuromukuro, Magi: Adventure of Sinbad Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to hear Kuromukuro is getting an official US streaming release.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully we'll get them on Latin America too for those dates. I fell behind on Sinbad and it'd be a nice late birthday present to be able to binge it Smile I also hope Netflix will finance more of the show and/or Magi, since the disc sales have been pretty bad afaik
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I would be more excited for this, but I heard Kuromukuro is pretty crappy. PA works has the straightest track record of going from anime of the season to several seasons of disappointment.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Huh....I assumed this was known because It's been up there for like a week now lol. I still don't understand Netflix's logic to split the show in half (I also hate how they call a cour a season like Funimation does...there's a HUGE difference -_- noobs). Unless the story is written specifically for this, it could "end" in a really awkward spot. They should just weekly stream like in Japan...they got the translations already obviously. They really need to realize that anime fans enjoy watching things WEEKLY, as much as we enjoy bingeing. Perhaps more so.
dago2682

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Hopefully we'll get them on Latin America too for those dates. I fell behind on Sinbad and it'd be a nice late birthday present to be able to binge it Smile I also hope Netflix will finance more of the show and/or Magi, since the disc sales have been pretty bad afaik

The series pages are already up, try searching for them on netflix
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
They should just weekly stream like in Japan...they got the translations already obviously. They really need to realize that anime fans enjoy watching things WEEKLY, as much as we enjoy bingeing. Perhaps more so.

I agree, but Netflix's execs think that all of its audience likes binge-watch, and dislike a weekly piece-meal updates. It is sad that they announce they have the rights to a show, and we automatically know that it means that show won't be available for at least 3-4 months.
dago2682

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
They should just weekly stream like in Japan...they got the translations already obviously. They really need to realize that anime fans enjoy watching things WEEKLY, as much as we enjoy bingeing. Perhaps more so.

I agree, but Netflix's execs think that all of its audience likes binge-watch, and dislike a weekly piece-meal updates. It is sad that they announce they have the rights to a show, and we automatically know that it means that show won't be available for at least 3-4 months.

They do it for some live action series so i really do not understand why they can´t do the same with their anime.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
And this is without dub i assume?
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
I would be more excited for this, but I heard Kuromukuro is pretty crappy. PA works has the straightest track record of going from anime of the season to several seasons of disappointment.

I have been watch- *coughs* *coughs*

I heard from a friend that it's not bad at all, it's kinda of generic but good generic (if that makes sense). No molds being broken or anything but a decent enough mecha and the male MC is pretty fun to watch as well...

TheMorry wrote:

Yeah, I don't think so plus I don't think Netflix does dubs the last time I checked though could be wrong.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
princess passa passa wrote:
Razor/Edge wrote:

I have been watch- *coughs* *coughs*

I heard from a friend that it's not bad at all, it's kinda of generic but good generic (if that makes sense). No molds being broken or anything but a decent enough mecha and the male MC is pretty fun to watch as well...

TheMorry wrote:

Yeah, I don't think so plus I don't think Netflix does dubs the last time I checked though could be wrong.

Knights of Sidonia, Glitter Force, Seven Deadly Sins, Ajin (demi human) yup no English dubs by Netflix Razz
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Knights of Sidonia, Glitter Force, Seven Deadly Sins, Ajin (demi human) yup no English dubs by Netflix Razz

Netflix did dub Cyborg 009 Vs. Devilman btw.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-04-01/netflix-streams-cyborg-009-vs-devilman-anime-in-190-countries-20-languages/.100547
JC_Denton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:53 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:

I watc...heard from friends it's pretty fun show, and it's a show that no need to worry about any "crazy"(in bad way) happen like recent mecha shows.

Kougeru wrote:
Huh....I assumed this was known because It's been up there for like a week now lol. I still don't understand Netflix's logic to split the show in half (I also hate how they call a cour a season like Funimation does...there's a HUGE difference -_- noobs). Unless the story is written specifically for this, it could "end" in a really awkward spot. They should just weekly stream like in Japan...they got the translations already obviously. They really need to realize that anime fans enjoy watching things WEEKLY, as much as we enjoy bingeing. Perhaps more so.

Well about that.
http://fightingfornippon.com/kuromukuro-has-netflix-date/
Quote:

I talked with Netflix Support to confirm any further details on the subject and while they couldn’t specifically confirm the release format yet, they noted that

"-it’s very likely that the next episodes will continue to be added weekly right after they’re broadcasted on the channel!"

A very curious answer since it means that the first 13 episodes would be uploaded in bulk and the remainder would added afterwards weekly. Quite a different change of pace in how Netflix formats its releases, but as I mentioned earlier they haven’t confirmed the release format yet so don’t take these words seriously until there’s solid confirmation.

Let's hope it's real.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:33 am Reply with quote
Well it looks like when they dub the shows it'll be by next year.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Huh....I assumed this was known because It's been up there for like a week now lol. I still don't understand Netflix's logic to split the show in half (I also hate how they call a cour a season like Funimation does...there's a HUGE difference -_- noobs).

My post was in response to this article ANN posted Friday:
animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-06-24/magi-adventure-of-sinbad-anime-finale-to-air-as-1-hour-special/.103563

I was initially puzzled by their lack of mentioning the upcoming Netflix premiere in that article, as I thought they had an earlier article on their site mentioning it, but confirmed that wasn't so.

Frankly, I'm glad they decided to split the series in half, as otherwise viewers would have been waiting until September to begin viewing. As many 2 cour series are initially released here on BD/DVD in 2 parts, it also isn't without precedent.

I can forgive Netflix using "season" more so than Funimation, as Netflix deals primarily with US live action series where the term has a long history, and is appropriately used.

princess passa passa wrote:

TheMorry wrote:

To date, I can't recall Netflix having premiered any of their "Netflix original" anime series without a dub. With the exception of The Seven Deadly Sins those have all premiered within a short time after the last episode aired in Japan, so I doubt these would be an exception.

That said, it should be noted that the trailer they currently have available for Kuromukuro is subtitled.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
While I am still disappointed with Netflix's binge watch approach, I am glad that they are at least making the first half of Kuromukuro available next month. It is not the ideal situation, but it is better than waiting until October for the whole thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2