• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spirited Away's Canadian Network Premiere on Sunday

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otae-san

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Even though I own the DVD and have already seen it several times, I'm actually pretty excited to hear this :D though it's kind of curious that it wasn't advertised on the channel itself...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I should try to remember this, since I've actually never seen Spirited Away. And it's early enough that it shouldn't be up against big TV shows like Desperate Housewives!
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
It's airing on CBC's version of The Wonderful World of Disney, so this gives US fans hope for a broadcast on ABC [who periodically shows movies under the WWoD banner..... CBC's is weekly however, so I wonder if we'll be seeing more Ghibli movies here in Canada Smile]

OhNoesBrigade- don't worry, Disney and Ghibli's contract strictly forbids any editing.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
This is great however I currently have a copy of Spirirted Away I borrowed from my local library in order to write a review for an assignmenti n my English class and I watched it on Monday. But I don't actually own the DVD yet. So I'll definitely be watching it once more. Smile Perhaps, I should inform my teacher so she can see it for herself as well. Very Happy
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I should point out that CBC's viewer relations department is INCREDIBLY receptive to comments, and will usually take any suggestions they receive into strong consideration! You don't even need to leave a message - they'll usually pick up and take your comments directly!

I encourage you all not only to tell as many people you can about this airing, but also to contact CBC's viewer relations either through phone or e-mail to express your interest in other Studio Ghibli movies. Due to their ties with Disney, CBC should already have direct access to every one of those films, and if demand is even moderately strong, they will likely play them.

But again, people need to contact them directly. Their contact information can be found here:

http://www.cbc.ca/contact/index.jsp
Kurishojo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately for any watching Spirited Away on CBC right now, they are being treated to a heavily edited version. Entire scenes have been cut out, almost 30 minutes worth. What a horrible way to share such a wonderful film!

I'm sure CBC will get a lot more negative feedback for what they did to it than positive feedback for airing it in the first place.
Mini-Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Kurishojo wrote:
Unfortunately for any watching Spirited Away on CBC right now, they are being treated to a heavily edited version. Entire scenes have been cut out, almost 30 minutes worth. What a horrible way to share such a wonderful film!

I'm sure CBC will get a lot more negative feedback for what they did to it than positive feedback for airing it in the first place.

Yeah I saw it..I just couldn't believe how much they cut Confused
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, almost every movie ever shown on television has significant amounts of scenes cut out in order to allow for commercials and matching up with a timeslot.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Given the no-cuts policy for Miyazaki's movies (Even CN has aired them uncut), heads may be rolling over this.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
BUTCHERS...

If they aired my movies like this, they would never be allowed to show another one of them - ever.
Damius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god.... To fit in a timeslot..... edited. Man that is really to not respect someone it`s like they say. Hey, we are doing what we want with it, to fit our timeslot... Anyway what we can do...
micpp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression they weren't allowed to edit any of the Ghibli films, that it was in the contract or something. Not sure how they can get away with this.
Virenity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
They shouldn't be editing such a legendary film... It kind of cancels out their intentions. I didn't think it was legal, in this case, anyway.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
We need to remember that going militant otaku on CBC collective ass is not the best strategy here. After all, they are pretty much the only station in Canada that has access to the Studio Ghibli library (YTV got Princess Mononoke through a loophole, so they don't count), and we can't let something like this close off all chances of the other films showing up in the future.

What people need to do is call the station (not e-mail, call) and explain to them to horrific mistake they've made, and insist that they should be obilgated to re-air the film completely uncut in order to rectify this disaster. Furthermore, we need to keep insisting that they play the rest of the Ghibli library uncut. I mean, they practically owe it to us now, anyway.

micpp wrote:
I was under the impression they weren't allowed to edit any of the Ghibli films, that it was in the contract or something. Not sure how they can get away with this.

They shouldn't be allowed to. I'm pretty sure the CBC was unaware of the no-edits policy. It will be interesting to see what will happen as a result. Again, people need to call them and inform them of this problem, and make sure that the film airs uncut in order to rectify it.

Policy or no, it's still amazing that they'd cut so much content from the film just to cram it into a timeslot.
standalonecomplex

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Given the no-cuts policy for Miyazaki's movies (Even CN has aired them uncut), heads may be rolling over this.

Forgive me, but where is the evidence of such a policy?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2