• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kuma Miko: Girl Meets Bear (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Yoshio is a bit of an idiot, he had no idea that Machi did not want to be an idol, he did at least change is toon upon learning it. Machi should have had it in no uncertain terms what she was in for if she accepted, it probably was an interesting experience that was open for her that could help her grow. I kind of blame Natsu on it, it did feel like he knew what would convince her to go, and it probably falls into that he actually does not want her to leave so on a level he did it knowing it likely won't help her leave for the city for a long period of time.

But they helped her pretty seriously be able to do the event, including an outfit that she looked like she would be comfortable in, and she got to go somewhere she wanted. It is unfortunate that her inferiority complex flared up in thinking that the other girls were looking down on her. If she could just understand that no one has a problem with her being there and could have some fun, it would be really great for her. But, yeah, social anxiety is tough to deal with and creates a problem where others would think there is none. The whole thing makes me think that I could not do it, but also a couple times I was in situations where I thought it was Impossible and maybe had similar thoughts, but overcoming it can be awesome. It is kind of what I am hoping will come of it, that Machi might struggle a bit, go through something scary, but survive and say that she went through the experience.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Wait, whaaa? Thats how it ends? Well, so then what was the point of the series? I mean, I liked Kumamiko, but for it to end with Machi spoiler[deciding to stay in the village because she suddenly imagined people throwing rocks at her? And she learned nothing, on top of that.]

Sigh. Conclusion was a let down, but I enjoyed most of the series. Cool beans, Kumamiko.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I am more than a little annoyed with how it ended. It was actually going really well in following themes that although she was anxious and avoided it for so long, she came to terms with the childlike wonderment of the situation she was in and was able to use it to perform. As a person with such anxiety I can think that the story of struggling with your anxiety and in the end being able to forget it for a moment to do something else you can, is a good story, I can empathise with that sort of thing. What actually makes me mad is that after the fact thinks everyone hated it and she is not corrected on it. Being shy can be hard, like real hard, and I think Machi has been a good representation of it. But what Natsu did in letting her the results of her anxiety was just plain wrong, it was like an act of trying to make her depend on him, and I would actually call it abuse. Her character is essentially allowed to be regress.

I liked the series in general. Some call "making fun" of a person with anxiety as bad taste, but in my opinion a show which can convey what that person is thinking, is actually kind of good in showing why someone can be seen as timid. I think that one of my favourite episodes was when they went to the shopping mall, I might be a guy and have less pressure some level of sophistication, but Machi's perception that she does not belong and the various pressures of others was something I could connect with. And it made the moment in the last episode where a little girl is saying she is cool for being an idol have some weight, that she is having someone else perceive her in a way she was not expecting.

A cute series that I think had some good jokes at times, but others just kind of confused in not understanding what they were trying to do, like Machi suddenly being a fashion store master or something. Characters were flawed, but the series was too. My favourite part of the series I think still goes back to the first episode where a little girl calls Yoshio out on sexual harassment and tells him not to touch her in English, it was unexpected. I think that I would have rated it as "Good", but I think the ending kind of soured it a bit as not very genuine, it would have been better without any conclusion on the subject of her living in the city. I rate it as Decent (6/10), I am happy I watched it overall, it was worth seeing up until certain parts.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Im with you on this one, Dusk, those final moments were just strange. I mean, it really seemed like Machi had some kind of mental breakdown. She was behaving like she was 6 years old or something, way more childish than she seemed in Ep 1. And the way Natsu was speaking to her was almost like "Yes, Machi, yes, now we can be together...forever! Buahahaha!" It was all a little twisted, really. I couldn't wrap my head around it.

I mean, I was fine with all the things they put Machi through in the series, but only because I thought it was means to reaching her ultimate departure from the village. But, after this, its basically like the writer was stomping her to the ground for thinking she could leave. I would have understood her staying if she ended by stating something like "This is the place that holds everyone I care about," but she's inches from sitting fetal position in a corner. After sleeping on it, that ending just left a really bad taste in my mouth. Definitely lowered my opinion. I'll give this a 5/10.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
Judging by the response that the manga author gave regarding the ending, it seemed to go in a different direction from the manga, and drew the criticism of the fans. I really did feel like the ending really cheapened all the efforts made by Machi trying to achieve her goal of going to the city, which really leaves the audience wondering why they wasted their time watching the series at all. I think better efforts could have been made with the ending, of course the anime creators are entitled to their creative liberties, but as with anything the anime industry never learns from making sure they create a decent ending for a manga that's not finished. Case in point, Fruits Basket and original Hellsing anime. Now they went back and corrected Hellsing with Hellsing Ultimate, but it still stands to see that the Kumamiko ending debacle is the first, and certainly not the last anime series adapted from a manga that will have it's ending screwed up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3