• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toshiba, Manganovel Offer User-Translated Manga Online

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nkaze

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Very cool idea. I don't think it will replace the regular manga market, as most of readers like to have something physical to hold onto, but as a supplement I think it will be a huge success.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Now THIS is a forward thinking company! Awesome! Get the scanlators to move to this service, and let them pick up a few hundred titles!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Either i'm slow or they're starting to let people sell scanlations now.
Or, users submit the scans and then the company sells them. Either way....it still seems bad to me.

When/if the manga gets lisenced i'm going to guess it'll be taken down? I can slightly forsee uproar later on if this becomes a big thing- that Del Rey or some other manga company has ripped from these scans.

I wonder if they'll have Nymhpt. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Or, users submit the scans and then the company sells them. Either way....it still seems bad to me.

When/if the manga gets lisenced i'm going to guess it'll be taken down? I can slightly forsee uproar later on if this becomes a big thing- that Del Rey or some other manga company has ripped from these scans.

Manganovel has already licensed all of its manga titles before they were put online. So far, that includes works from Shonengahosha and Manganovel's own in-house imprint.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Well this is a new avenue for fanfiction artists to explore...@_@
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome - they are missing a page zoom in the viewer though - thats the only complaint I have... Good service, and they have a contest too - check it out!
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING.

And these seem to be actual scanlation instead of translation.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE. I don't know ANY of these titles, but I am SO checking this out just to support these amazing brilliant people.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

I wonder if they'll have Nymhpt. Wink

I don't think so..... they're selling the manga itself, and then I'm assuming they're selling text translations to accompany them. Though it could be that they will have readers uploading digitially retouched scans....

Unlike Scanlations, you have to buy the manga, and profits from sales of the original manga should go back to the original company and creators. And I imagine there'll be some kind of restrictions on titles with licensed titles in the given language someon seeks a translation for. And obviously, it will only feature titles of artists who authorize for their works to be shared online in this form.

Looks likea good way to offer fans the chance to amateur translate , while keeping things legal, combatting bootlegs, and respecting the artists involved. Looks okay so far.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I don't think so..... they're selling the manga itself, and then I'm assuming they're selling text translations to accompany them. Though it could be that they will have readers uploading digitially retouched scans....

The translations work kind of similarly to scanlations-- Manganovel provides a program so that translators can take the manga, white out the Japanese text in speech bubbles, and type in their own.
Ichimaru087

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
i agree, it sounds like a great idea, but nothing can replace the regular manga market Very Happy
Banshou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this!
Za_randomness

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Sounds pretty sweet, if you ask me. I look forward to seeing how it pans out.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
Exactly what companies should have been doing all along -- 'partner' with fansubbers/etc. and use them as cheap labour. Why fight what you can devour?

Hope we eventually see some big titles on a service like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1