• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
ok, crunchy already released all the episodes of relife, how is this going to work (p) review wise?
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
ok, crunchy already released all the episodes of relife, how is this going to work (p) review wise?

Oh damn, you're right. Maybe they'll all just check the first episode to post it in the preview guide? As for weekly reviews, maybe it won't be possible, or maybe they'll do it like they did with the classic reviews a while back and just review an episode every week, regardless of the circumstances.
+ 光

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

Oh damn, you're right. Maybe they'll all just check the first episode to post it in the preview guide? As for weekly reviews, maybe it won't be possible, or maybe they'll do it like they did with the classic reviews a while back and just review an episode every week, regardless of the circumstances.

Or they could just do a normal 'streaming review' (like with the recent Concrete Revolutio), but instead of being released at the end of the season, it comes out at the beginning? I think a once-off review would be best. It's just not going to be part of the weekly rankings then.

Last edited by + 光 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

Zac said on twitter that they'll post the preview guide for the 1st episode and then someone will review the whole show in a couple of weeks. So I guess the show won't be eligible for Daily Streaming
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll did the Netflix thing and released all 13 eps of ReLife at once. On the one hand, I was really looking forward to this show (based on the premise alone, I haven't read the manga), so I'm kind of happy. On the other hand, the experience of watching a good anime weekly, reading episode reviews, and reacting on forums (and social media like Twitter) every week is so much more memorable and fun than a weekend binge-and-forget experience. I'm assuming ANN will go the full show review route for this one, that just makes the most sense.

Just started episode 2 and am really enjoying it so far. *This* is an anime fantasy I'd want to be stuck in! Very Happy
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Zac said on twitter that they'll post the preview guide for the 1st episode and then someone will review the whole show in a couple of weeks. So I guess the show won't be eligible for Daily Streaming

Good. So that narrows the potential DSR Candidates number a bit.
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Berserk- 7.8/10- too much CGI

Honestly, I thought that it was a 25 minute trailer for Berserk Musou
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Dr.N0 wrote:
Berserk's directing, cinematography, and editing were a mess. Framing was consistently bad; most shot were from weird, wonky angles; editing was frantically random, swerving from shot to shot without anchors; and camera work was nauseating and only served to accentuate the other flaws. I can only begin to imagine how long-time fans must feel. Was this not supposed to be a big production? What a disappointment.

You'd think Berserk would warrant more of an effort, at least on the animation front. Considering the manga maintains its popularity and has people very excited every time it comes off a lengthy hiatus, I would think that it could afford a budget that didn't result in lots of ugly CG. If nothing else, I'm still perplexed that they went so heavy on the CG when it was consistently pointed out as a major flaw in the movies.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Berserk 2/5. Sorry, but CG just doesn't work for dark fantasy-style shows.
I want to see Guts getting dirty and bloody, I want to see flowing movements of his sword and feel the impact upon a hit. Instead I got low quality puppet thing that just feels... wrong.
I have nothing against CG! In fact, I thought that Knights of Sidonia was quite an entertaining show. You don't need to deal with dirt or blood in space and clean, sterile designs work great in sci-fi.
But this... *Sigh* Sound design,direction both are pretty good, but not enough to save this mess of a show. Music felt cheesy and unoriginal to me. "Hatching" effect did not improve the atmosphere and seemed weirdly off-putting to me in some scenes. Very "meh" overall.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Now that I've watched a couple more episodes of ReLife, it's not as bad as I initially thought. It's a solid 3 - 3.5/5.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
If nothing else, I'm still perplexed that they went so heavy on the CG when it was consistently pointed out as a major flaw in the movies.

VoidWitch wrote:
I have nothing against CG! In fact, I thought that Knights of Sidonia was quite an entertaining show.

In my opinion, the problem is less with the CG (again, see Sidonia and Ajin), and more with the production. We all know how rough schedules can be in this industry. I do not like bashing the director outright, but the direction was lackluster. Even if the CG sucks (I do not think it does), the showrunners have to steer their creative vision toward completion. When they miss their fundamentals like this, it does not bode well for the rest.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Berserk 0/5. The CG was absolutely awful and so was the direction in general. I wouldn't recommend anyone who's unfamiliar with the franchise to watch this because they skipped 2 arcs.

If anyone's interested in the series then READ THE MANGA or just watch the 1997 version of the anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Going to binge watch ReLife today but so far, I am impressed by what I see especially the characters and comedy content.

For Berserk....yeah, that animation style is going to be hard to get used to. At least they got the music down right for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
while the berserk CG isn't great it's definitely not the worst thing in the world, then again I actually liked the new movies so that could be where I differ with most people's opinions. They at least got the atmosphere of the manga down pretty good

I'm just happy about the fact that we actually are getting a Berserk anime, and a double season one at that.
JoeQ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I'm glad I didn't go into this new adaptation of Berserk blind or I'd have been even more disappointed than I was. What a mess, can't see how Jacob and Zac thought this merits anything above 2. Yeah, it's still Berserk and there are rare flashes of goodness, but in every other way this was just awful.

Still going to watch it though, not like this season has much else to offer...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 40