• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Having caught up with the webtoon, I pretty much know what I'm getting into with Relife, so I'm enjoying the animation thus far. Nice how they condensed all those chapters into the first episode.

Question: Is anyone else getting the whole season of Relife on their Crunchyroll account? Because I'm watching episode 2 right now.

CR released all of Relife, yep. Comico (Japanese producer) also published every episode on their app, with the first episode available for free. CR must've been able to strike a deal for a similar release.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Dr.N0 wrote:
Berserk's directing, cinematography, and editing were a mess. Framing was consistently bad; most shot were from weird, wonky angles; editing was frantically random, swerving from shot to shot without anchors; and camera work was nauseating and only served to accentuate the other flaws. I can only begin to imagine how long-time fans must feel. Was this not supposed to be a big production? What a disappointment.

My thoughts exactly. I could ignore the CGI if the rest was good but this plus the mishmash script is too much. Background music often felt out of place to me, also, and animation is OK but a long way from being excellent -- poorly timed small movements stood out at times. Sadly, I can imagine how (some) long-time fans must feel. Anime cry

Imagine a Berserk adaptation with the One Punch Man staff.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Dear God, I wanted to like Berserk but I couldn't even tell what I was watching most of the time. And the rest of the time I thought I was watching game play from 10 years ago. There was no soul to the show! Doesn't even rate a number.

Momokuri gets a pass. It's cute at times, creepy at others, and sometimes the lead female's voice and actions make me want to put my fist through my new tablet. I can't afford to watch this. 2.5

ReLIFE is at least entertaining. I'm going to binge. 4
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Berserk 4.5/5 Berserk captures its visceral world through it's gritty minimal animation & strident sound design. The episode has an appropriate feel of the manga without being redundantly 100% faithful to it's adaptation. I love the uniquely harsh somewhat shrill sound design & score that felt impactful & intense. The heavy metal matched the feel & sound of the strikes of Gut's explosively powerful sword. Also the animation elicits a feel of dread & immediacy of this dark & surreal world. I very much enjoyed myself this episode & look forward to what is to come next.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
So did they just sit on all the episodes of ReLife until it was completely finished before releasing any of it anywhere? oO Has that ever been done before?

Anyway, I liked it. Kinda weird to hear Tanaka-kun so energetically emotional though after 3 months of listlessness. Wink It seems like this series merits watching for its characters and story, but to tell you the truth, I think I'd watch it just for Kaizaki's eyes. >.>"
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I kind of liked Momokuri. The cute/creepy juxtaposition is a sort of insanity that I enjoy. It would be too much to expect it to actually do or say anything interesting with the stalking premise, but it's an amusing way to spend a half hour at least.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first two ReLife, not bad, not bad at all. I agree with the preview, the main character is pretty interesting and he has good chemistry with pink hair girl (I'm guessing she's also a ReLife). The musical choice is very strange though, not bad, just strange.

I didn't think I'd like it based off the premise, I had a good high school life but adult life is so much better. I don't really get how sending people back to there high school is going to help them stop being NEET (good luck getting hired back when they'll look at your resume and see a giant one year gap, unless ReLife will provide him with some fake reference), but w/e its comedy so I don't think about those stuff (although I can't even begin to imagine how much money the main character could have gotten if he just stole the pill and sold it to some rich old dude).
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
Another season, Yahoo!

I've not seen Berserk in any form, but I think I'm going to stick to the original because wow, that CG is literally unwatchable, like usual.

It's interesting that Re:Life exists in its entirety right out the gate. I like that. I don't know if it's my kind of thing, but I think it's cool that these series can spring out in their full glory nowadays, and that's something that's really only possible in these streaming times. Hopefully this sets a trend and we have something more like the OVAs of the 80s and 90s.

Last edited by Galap on Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
Watched Momokuri. Yeah, definitely not my thing. Not cute enough to be super heartwarming to me, and I didn't find the stalker stuff funny. I'm sure someone would find it cute though.
2/5.

I kept watching more Relife. I'm highly entertained and the characters are great - oops I guess I'm binging this one by accident now.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
traffiktiger wrote:
Berserk 4.5/5 Berserk captures its visceral world through it's gritty minimal animation & strident sound design. The episode has an appropriate feel of the manga without being redundantly 100% faithful to it's adaptation. I love the uniquely harsh somewhat shrill sound design & score that felt impactful & intense. The heavy metal matched the feel & sound of the strikes of Gut's explosively powerful sword. Also the animation elicits a feel of dread & immediacy of this dark & surreal world. I very much enjoyed myself this episode & look forward to what is to come next.

I gotta second this. Watching with headphones adds to the experience as well. Lots of bass and effects.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
I'm just gonna copypaste my impressions on Berserk from my blog, I still haven't watched ReLIFE and I'm not sure if I will this season, since it's already finished.

Quote:
More than complaints, I have questions on things I’ve noticed about this.

Apparentely, these people CAN do 2D animation pretty well, what with the cross-hatch shading and stuff, I know they won’t pull off anything incredible but they are decent enough. Evidently, what these guys can’t do is an armor even if their life depended on it.

For example, when you watch the opening, everytime an armor appears, it’s in an still shot, and while the opening is pretty stiff already, the only characters that move are not wearing any armor at all. Not to mention, the whole direction of the opening is pretty wonk and doesn’t get any hype done. But the most immportant thing…why don’t you just make action scenes WITH armors in CGI?

I mean, the scene of Guts vs the cursed tree and stuff looked pretty cool, honestly, there were some very cool loking shots and scenes. But also, all of the close-ups and 2D animation looked really well, especailly on Guts’ face. I know that animating armors is hard but I don’t think it’s that impossible to make the most mundane scenes in 2D (especially considering Guts is wearing a clock most of the time in this episode that except for the last 5 minutes it looks stupid and weightless). Also, why would you animate Puck in CGI? He is NAKED, it’s the easiest one! ESPECIALLY IN HIS GOOFY MODE, WHY, IT’S EVEN EASIER.

Moving on, while I think that Guts’ nightmare was more or less okay…why. Why would you show that part. It was off-puting in two ways: it’s my second less favorite page in the whole manga (first one is Wyald carrying the impaled torsos of the girls he just raped) because it couldn’t have put Casca lower on the rank of female plot devices, and having it when we will se her being groped by Femto every week is even more saddening. The second reason…IT’S GODDAMN CENSORED. Why the HELL would you show that when all you can see is literally Casca’s face, if the idea was to sell BDs so someone can enjoy that…my God. Also why does Casca look white, why do you hate her so much.

Other than that, a lot of direction shots were pretty nice and all, my two biggest complaints being how Guts walks off the bar by day and it’s already night without no transition, and the fact that Colette and her father looked really atrocious, it was downright jarring to see them, I felt very weirded out by how they are adapting things. No Blackswordsman arc (why bother promoting it like that?) AT ALL, which has one of my favorite character moments just after the Golden Age arc ends, no Lost Children, which is a shame but you can kinda make the story do without it. So we are in deep straight into Conviction arc, and I feel like it’s going to go off rails.

There is a bit of an spoiler that the anime and movies didn't cover, but nothing significacnt.

Oh, and to add to it, yeah, I liked the sound direction, it helped when the animation wasn't helping at all.
Chacranajxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
I really didn't think Berserk was that bad. I mean... it wasn't precisely *good* or anything, but it wasn't the disaster it could've been, either. While they've obviously truncated a lot of stuff to remove a couple of the story arcs and jump right into Conviction, the episode was pretty faithful in how it adapted the events in the manga that take place right after the first episode of the '97 anime. It was actually kind of novel in that regard, because it felt like finally, after all these years, I'm seeing what happens immediately after that battle in the first episode. It remains to be seen how they'll handle the more delicate, profound moments of Berserk, but what they've shown so far seemed relatively competent given the source material.

The CG animation is obviously garbage, but I felt like it was less garbage than what was in the movies. Movement was less awkward overall, and it wasn't quite as choppy. That said, I still insist that if you can't do something well with CG, just don't [expletive] do it. There's no reason why this show had to be done this way. It's dumb.

The music was pretty weak, too, with the exception of one track at the very end of the episode, as Guts walks away from the carnage. I wasn't expecting Hirasawa-tier music, but I was hoping for something a little bit less... tryhard.

I'll keep watching the thing because I'm curious to see what they did here, but this is pretty clearly not a reasonable substitute -- or even compliment to -- the manga. I remember saying back in 2003, when those last episodes came out in the US, that I would be completely fine with a new series that had the same level of animation, as long as we got more Berserk. I guess I'll have to keep waiting.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
After watching the first episode of Berserk, I'll try to remain as positively objective as possible.

It's...a tv show? It's streaming via app? It...has characters? It will probably pop up on Netflix within this year, preferably uncensored.

That's all the positive I can think of.

Oh! The CG was far superior to King of Thorn. That's a positive, right?
ssj1236

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
Worst anime of the season -_- like really why the hell did they make this -_- . Anyone who watched this pile of crap read the manga the manga is infinitely better and worth it unlike this shit
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So did they just sit on all the episodes of ReLife until it was completely finished before releasing any of it anywhere? oO Has that ever been done before?

If you're talking about legal streaming with English subtitles and/or dubs then that's Netflix's regular shtick when they claim a title. They have done so previously with Ajin, Knights of Sidonia (both seasons), and The Seven Deadly Sins and it looks like they're doing that on a season-by-season basis with Kumromukuro.

Oh, and just a general reminder to all gentle folk: always cite what series you're talking about when responding to previews for a title, as all of the titles get filtered into the same general Preview Guide response thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 40