• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Second Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
If the stank washes off later, I'll wait patiently. I'm curious to see how much of the stupidly fast pace was because they were trying to cram a recap, a character reintroduction, and a full match all into one episode. I'm also hoping whenever Souma eventually gets knocked down a peg, it isn't by Erina or one of the Evil League Of Super Snobs, but by Megumi or someone else actually worthwhile. A girl can dream. Smile

I'll just say, keep watching, I would be surprised if you are disappointed Smile
Gore17

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
Interesting, I seem to be the only one who enjoyed the pacing of the first episode. I find most series are way to slow, so maybe I'm just impatient.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Gore17 wrote:
Interesting, I seem to be the only one who enjoyed the pacing of the first episode. I find most series are way to slow, so maybe I'm just impatient.

I'm with you on this. The character interactions outside the competition can wait.

Reading ANN forums regularly, I suspect if they made a rule where nobody could complain or praise the "pacing" of whatever anime they are discussing there wouldn't be very much left. Probably 8 out of 10 postings would be aborted.

Ep 2 review wrote:
the most egregious being the foodgasm when Megumi tries Ryo's ramen

Yeah I have to agree that was just flat out weird. They might have been trying for comic distortion and just didn't pull it off. But look at the bright side: you haven't had to talk about boobs yet this season after two whole episodes! Progress, ma'am. Progress.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention that I think deserves more attention: the work the VAs do for the supporting characters, particularly the judges. For minor roles they sure put in a full day's work and really make the sense of competition work. It is sort of like the beginnings of baseball, where the sports writers learned how to make what was boring really interesting to the point that baseball is an international obsession.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Reading ANN forums regularly, I suspect if they made a rule where nobody could complain or praise the "pacing" of whatever anime they are discussing there wouldn't be very much left. Probably 8 out of 10 postings would be aborted.

Amen (I would add comparisons to source material). Awhile back I said that if I never heard the word "pacing" again, it would be too soon, especially since everyone seems to mean something different by it when they use it.

review wrote:
The very fact that Megumi has a cheer section (to the Aldini brothers' bemusement), while Ryo just has a gloating illustrates this as well as any dialogue.

A gloating what? Don't leave me hanging like that!

That was pretty good, especially since I had just finished the latest episode of JoJo's before watching this. Also, the drama over the Headmaster "being forced" to go topless "without posing." I dunno about cheese on ramen though...
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:51 am Reply with quote
Oh man, yesterday was NOT my best typing day! Laughing That would be "a gloating Alice." (I also screwed up the link in the preview guide for the tale of the beaver-eating python in Westbrook, ME. Sigh.)

That's a good point about the background characters - the judges hadn't made much impression on me, but I'll pay them more heed next week. I was consistently impressed by the people at the hotel during the school camp arc.

Also, noted about "pacing." Smile I use it to mean "the speed at which things happen."
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
I noticed the closing credits showed Soma in a cook's uniform and Shinomiya together. So it really will enter the Stagiaire arc thats why they're trying to rush the Election finals
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Megumi's dishes always make me hungrier than anyone else's, so by this point, you'd think I'd have learned not to watch Tadokoro-centric episodes on an empty stomach. (Nope!) Also, for my money, the ingenious spoof of the JoJo/Dio battle is the funniest joke the series has given us thus far. I love when things are referenced in a creative, semi-relevant way instead of the "we're acknowledging this property exists, so it's funny" approach that many American comedies have adopted in recent years.

Princess_Irene wrote:
Also, noted about "pacing." Smile I use it to mean "the speed at which things happen."

Same here, and I think Food Wars is perfectly paced for the type of show it is. Still, if we're going off this definition of the term (which, admittedly, I thought was the only definition of the term), I also think a lot of anime suffers from pacing issues. Longer shows tend to stretch their respective source material to the breaking point, and limited-run series often breeze through it with wild abandon, diminishing emotional resonance and increasing confusion in the process. This isn't to say I agree with every pacing-related gripe I come across, but I can often understand where the complainer is coming from.

I'm not really bothered by source material comparisons, either. I'm not a fan of the "this sucks because it isn't exactly the same as the manga, light novel, etc." mindset, but if a commenter genuinely feels that an ostensibly important piece of information has been omitted or justice hasn't been done to certain characters or story elements, I'm generally cool with them pointing this out.
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I saw the butt shot as a clench myself.

I also agree with complaints about pacing. It's not even the definition that's the issue. It's the personal preferences and expectations that are. There's hardly a classic Disney animated movie that doesn't feel a little rushed to me, but a 7yr old would probably tell you Dumbo's 64 minute runtime is an eternity.

IMO the pacing complaint should be saved for the times its super obvious like a dbz fight or something. I thought the last 5 episodes of Ushio to Tora were overly drawn out but that just might be me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:

Same here ... Still, if we're going off this definition of the term (which, admittedly, I thought was the only definition of the term), I also think a lot of anime suffers from pacing issues. Longer shows tend to stretch their respective source material to the breaking point, and limited-run series often breeze through it with wild abandon, diminishing emotional resonance and increasing confusion in the process.

And yet you've used two different meanings of it in just that paragraph. Smile The speed at which things happen (which is actually just the pace and not the pacing) and the rate at which source material is adapted per episode are not the same issues. An anime that leaves out huge chunks of source material may still be perfectly well-paced to those unaware of that material and still get complaints about pacing from those who are (or they leave out nothing and the complaints will come from the anime-only side). One Piece and DBZ fights will get complaints about pacing from almost everyone, because they are blatantly padded, slow and drawn out (the manga-related motivations for it are irrelevant to whether the result is good or bad).

As for the difference between pace and pacing, I'd hold that the pace of a scene or the entire piece can be fast or slow, while pacing is the sum of creative/directorial decisions that resulted in that fast or slow pace. In other words, pace is the speed ("the pace feels rushed"), pacing is the process ("the director seems to have lost control of the pacing"). A series has a problem with pacing when its pace is off. But everyone uses pace and pacing interchangeably now, and that's not my linguistic hill to die on, so carry on. Smile
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The speed at which things happen (which is actually just the pace and not the pacing) and the rate at which source material is adapted per episode are not the same issues.

When it comes to manga-inspired anime, they're often closely intertwined, though - at least in the sense that one has a direct impact on the other. For example, events tend to unfold quickly in shows that adapt 3-5 chapters of source material per episode (latter day Gintama), whereas things generally happen very slowly in series that tackle one chapter or less per installment (latter day One Piece). There are certainly exceptions to this rule (My Hero Academia, for one), and there are a number of other variables at play, but with many shows (especially Jump adaptations), the amount of source material adapted in a given episode tends to govern the speed at which things happen.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Ep 3 review wrote:
I have to admit, I was really hoping for Megumi to win her match.

Actually I think Megumi got cheated. Ryo got grandpa to bare his chest but Megumi actually got his fundoshi off without him even noticing!

This contest has been pretty rough so far for the female chefs. 0-3.

This Mimasaka guy seems pretty uninspiring. Who would want to eat something he cooked? It is pretty clear they are just writing up to be the guy you want to be totally defeated. There is no way Takumi is going to lose to him, not when they upped the stakes like that.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
For reference, the Arato vs. Hayama match was recreated nearly panel for panel from the 3 and change chapters of the manga (the shokugeki announcement for Mimasaka vs. Aldini technically happens in the first couple pages of the next chapter). They're not leaving anything out, at most a couple lines here or there.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I've come across a number of groups that faithfully recreate the dishes that appear throughout the series, but I'm not sure any of them have tackled the suppon burger - presumably because turtle meat isn't widely available in most countries. I'd definitely be open to sampling one, provided I didn't have to be privy to the preparation process.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that the reviewer warns people that they are seeing a turtle being butchered (and even that is pretty mild). Not the kind of thing I really expect after seeing zombies and titans eating people and seeing people get skinned or melted in some anime, or all the brutal animal deaths in the JoJo series (burned alive, torn apart, getting their faces bitten off etc). I guess they expect people watching a show about cooking to not be as exposed to that stuff?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The breed of turtle is raised on farms in China for food

Yes, I'm sure that's where this top tier cooking school gets its turtles. Rolling Eyes

I agree with HaruhiToy - since everyone was saying Megumi lost because she didn't force the headmaster to bare his chest, I kinda got the impression that she actually won, but the headmaster just didn't realize it until it was too late. Smile

As for the "hamburgers" I don't think I'd want to eat either of them. At least Akira's had some beef in it (it's not a hamburger without beef), but he put cloves in it, which would ruin it for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9