• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Mob Psycho 100's art style is ugly-on-purpose, but it's still really ugly. The most attractive named character was Reigen, and that's not saying much. I like how the show lampshaded this by having Mob see vegetable heads on all the girls in his class except the one he had a crush on (who was cute, but not yet named). The *animation* is amazing, though. The OP was really trippy. Not sure how much I got out of the plot/characters yet. Reigen is hovering around "obnoxious," but maybe he has some reasons that might humanize him--like maybe he *was* a really powerful exorcist who lost his powers somehow, or he's the least powerful black sheep in an exorcist family trying to prove he can do it anyway? He's a bad mentor, but he's not completely awful to Mob (he did buy food for the kid, even if he spent less on it than he did his own meal).
Mob himself is a cypher, a really naïve boy who hasn't expressed any extreme emotions yet. That intrigues me. But in terms of character designs, at least One Punch Man had Genos fanservice!

Talking about character design, she was on screen really fast, but doesn't his crush have essentially the exact same head as him just with a different hairstyle?
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Question: Why am I seeing names romanized as Ikta and Takt, are these characters meant to be foreigners? Otherwise I'd think their names are supposed to be Ikuta and Takuto? Is this the official romanization? I haven't watched either show so I've no idea but it just seems weird to change the spelling of your everyday anime japanese name

I dunno if it's official or not but whoever translated the first volume of the LN over at Baka used Ikta too so I'm guessing that's accurate for some reason or another.

So the future arc of Dangan is pretty much for people at least somewhat familiar with the events of the 2nd game correct? How does the other arc airing this season fit into the story? From what I remember seeing announced it's supposed to be like a prologue or something? Does anyone know if that will be enough to fill in the gaps between the 1st anime and this sequel for someone who hasn't played the games?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
maxwell3094 wrote:

So the future arc of Dangan is pretty much for people at least somewhat familiar with the events of the 2nd game correct? How does the other arc airing this season fit into the story? From what I remember seeing announced it's supposed to be like a prologue or something? Does anyone know if that will be enough to fill in the gaps between the 1st anime and this sequel for someone who hasn't played the games?

Yeah, "Despair Arc" looks to be a prequel series following the cast of the 2nd game when they were in school, so before any of the events in the first game/anime. Hard to say if that'll be enough to totally fill new viewers in, but as the creators have said it's meant to be watched in tangent with Future Arc I don't think it'll be too informative. Unfortunately folks who want to follow the new series are proooobably just gonna have to play the 2nd game (or watch an LP like I did) or at least read up a summary of it to understand the inciting elements of Future Arc.
kyuudere

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
Even though first episode of Mob Psycho 100 doesn't have Oda and most of OPM alumni yet (actually everyone is busy with their own project, for example Imai with Titan), but the animation was excellent.

Best animated first episode in this season!

Names that caught my attention are Ayako Hata and Keiichiro Watanabe.

First, Ayako Hata is a prominent animator and has worked on many Dennou Coil episodes and I'd consider her as one of the "selected talents" that was approved by Mitsuo Iso himself (just like Toshiyuki Inoue, and Kiyotaka Oshiyama). I'm still not sure which parts she did in this episode, but her name is listed in the top of credit so I guess she did a big scene in it.

Second, Keiichiro Watanabe. I don't know him until Space Dandy happened. Just like the other young webgen peers, his animation is quite skillful, and I have high hope for him.

Also, there's a speculation that Hironori Tanaka did the opening sequence (Non-Credited), but who knows. I hope Kameda himself will spill it out for us :p

Oh, I also need to mention that Kameda did a great job as AD in this episode, and he said that he will not doing Chief AD works in the future episodes as he want to do more key animation rather than just correcting other people's works. Smile

By the way, everyone need to read this excellent review :
https://sakugablog.yshi.org/2016/07/11/mob-psycho-100-episode-1/

And this interview with Tachikawa Yuzuru and ONE:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2016/07/11/mob-psycho-100-creator-one-and-director-yuzuru-tachikawa-discuss-the-new-anime0[/url]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
I fell behind over the weekend so I'm late to the premieres, and I haven't finished catching up yet:

Amanchu: 3.5/5 Rating it more on the lovely visuals and the potential I see in it rather than how much the episode impressed me. I think they overdid it a little with the silly faces, but they were cute silly faces so they didn't bother me that much. I might drop it if it doesn't deliver on the character/relationship development or if it gets boring.

Tsukiuta: 2.5/5 Definitely inferior to B-Project, although I did like the CGI dancing, it's a lot better than the ones in UtaPri 3, it looked very fluid and not uncanny. I also really liked the character designs, but just the episode was really dull, even if it had some heart-warming undertones. I'm probably gonna drop it

Handa-kun: 3/5. This was indeed very different from whatever I was expecting. I saw people complaining about how the references to the original show were heavy-handed, but I didn't really notice any? Other than the calligraphy, there's nothing connecting the two shows. Barakamon was my favorite show of 2014, but it seems evident that the tone of both shows is completely different. I'm unsure about keeping this one up, it did make me laugh, but I just don't care about it as a branch of Barakamon.

Chikyuu Boueibu 2: 4.5/5 This is everything I wanted from a sequel of this wonderful show. This show gets right everything that Sailor Moon Crystal got wrong, especially the bonds of friendship between the guys. The scene when everyone's conspiring and trying to encourage Atsushi and Kinshiro to break the ice was super cute. The only reason I'm not giving it a 5/5 is because the transformation sequences were very short -except for Yumoto's, who had a fabulous transformation, I really wanted something like that for the others.

91 Days: 4.5/5. For an original story it starts very promising! I like the setting, the designs, the details of historical context (though I know nothing about the time period in question, so I wouldn't know if the portrayal is accurate) and I'm very excited about getting a story about adult character with a coherent plot, here's hoping it won't end up being a dud like Joker Game

Thunderbolt Fantasy: 4.5/5 purely on visual merits, I never even imagined puppets could look so cool! The dolls themselves are absolutely gorgeous, but it's the direction, movement and effects that really sells it. Those fight scenes are spectacular! The plot so far seems by the book ancient legend-y fantasy-y stuff, but I'm definitely looking forward to what the Butcher will bring to the table of the story and characterization. And if he doesn't, well, I'm overall very well-inclined for legend-y fantasy-y stuff
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
maxwell3094 wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say... no, I highly doubt it.

It is strongly recommended that viewers are familiar with at least both main games, if not also the spinoff game, Ultra Despair Girls, and perhaps even the DR/Zero prequel novels and the Killer Killer side-story manga. Those last two may be optional, but it's hard to say at this point. Despite being a prequel, it's a safe bet the Despair Arc will assume the viewer has knowledge of DR2. There is a reason both the sequel and the prequel are called "Danganronpa 3".

The series creator/writer said that, while you can enjoy either arc on it's own, he wrote both arcs with the intention of them being watched concurrently as they air. To what extent they may reference each other is unclear, but since this is supposed to be the end of the Hope's Peak storyline, between both arcs, I would not be surprised to see nearly every major loose end from all canonical Danganronpa media addressed, or at least a whole lot of references. For instance, a recent official timeline published in Japan made sure to point out that Zero takes place during the events covered by the Despair Arc, and that towards the end it even overlaps with some of the events that would eventually kick off the UDG storyline. Merely simple clarification of timeline placement, or a not-so-subtle hint that you should probably know this stuff before going in? You decide!

tl;dr
Chronological order is a bad idea. Danganronpa is really just one of those series that's meant to be experienced in release order, as newer entries don't shy away from explicit references and heavy spoilers for what came before, regardless of where they're set on the timeline. It's unfortunate that anime-only fans are left out in the cold, but the reality is that these two new series simply aren't for them. They're basically a treat for super-fans who know the entire franchise front-and-back and have been chomping at the bit for a proper conclusion for years.
dany_elle1908

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
After checking few animes that were in my list I decided on what I'll watch aren't many but still. Others good,others bad lol.

91 Days - i think it had a strong start and set the plot. The animation is good so the sound. I hope will remain like this and not change dtastically in something shallow.

D, gray man hollow - well after watching the first part was impossible to jump the new season. Animation is good though I still must get used with the new VA on few characters.

Fukigen na Mononokean - i took this as a random choice. Isn't great but neither bad, pretty enjoyable for a late sunday night to relax with something. Animation characteristic to this type of animes pretty colorful, characters decent

handa-kun...random as hell but think the stupidity of the character made me slight enjoy the first episode

Servamp - to tell the truth yet do not know what to expect from it alli can say i lovedthe opening song while most hate it. I like kuro as a character so far and that it.

BAD to the bone but still want o see what it is about : Hitori no Shita: The Outcast - it has a mix of light horror with super powers though i'm pretty sure this show won't be put its mark on zombies though. Seems more on super powers and "martial arts" so far the comedy felt bit forced. Feel some fanservices as well..ya why not be -.-

DROPPED: days - WHY??? i wanted a good sport anime and from two episodes didn't catch me no interest the MC is dull

Arslan Senki 2nd season on hold i'll watch full whenfinish airing
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Mob Psycho 100's art style is ugly-on-purpose, but it's still really ugly. The most attractive named character was Reigen, and that's not saying much. I like how the show lampshaded this by having Mob see vegetable heads on all the girls in his class except the one he had a crush on (who was cute, but not yet named). The *animation* is amazing, though. The OP was really trippy. Not sure how much I got out of the plot/characters yet. Reigen is hovering around "obnoxious," but maybe he has some reasons that might humanize him--like maybe he *was* a really powerful exorcist who lost his powers somehow, or he's the least powerful black sheep in an exorcist family trying to prove he can do it anyway? He's a bad mentor, but he's not completely awful to Mob (he did buy food for the kid, even if he spent less on it than he did his own meal).
Mob himself is a cypher, a really naïve boy who hasn't expressed any extreme emotions yet. That intrigues me. But in terms of character designs, at least One Punch Man had Genos fanservice!
No, Mob Psycho's art style isn't ugly on purpose, ONE can't draw to save his life.

My god, this show is weird. Good weird and really funny. I can't wait for more.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
Everything of interest aired, a certain pr0n shit show lost a distributor along the way (lol) and the Kumite survivors are:

91 Days 8/10 reminds me of the days when no-nonsense and "non-anime" shows, as Baccano, Master Keaton or Monster, looked like a viable endeavor. Nothing about the pilot blew me away, which is best described as a straightforward modern US mafia drama, just in anime form, and +1 for the non-animu opening credits and ED. Even my mother could comprehend this series! I predicted all plot points, the budget looks tight and I would have preferred less cutaways from the violence but I got a no-nonsense Seinen show, and what more can I ask of?

Amanchu! 7,5/10 I can only repeat what a said in my season preview. Make a 1 cour run (with a slight gecko ending) and leave the further manga alone. The material for a possible 2nd season is a frustrating Moe-crap snooze.

Arslan Senki: Fuujin Ranbu 7/10 suffers from the same dash to rush it as the last season. How exactly was the 8 ep. run-time decided? Oh well, Tanaka´s real opus LOGH is next year and the new LOGH manga rocks.

Berserk 3/10 Read my linked Imdb review. Lord, have mercy...
How many insults does the masterful manga deserve?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5847454/reviews-1

Orange 7/10 is basically the manga. A fine enough tale i bothered to finish but it lacks any close. That aspect needs to be fixed and don´t expect the time slip to make any sense. The state of this decade´s romance and school life shows is such a mess, is this is one of the better entries.

Planetarian 7,5/10 It turned out that the other Key anime i barely noticed was the one with potential. The ONA was emotionally manipulative, the interesting setting seems throwaway and the designs are bland (the "Junker" is supposed to be middle aged?) but i was interested by what I saw. A short 5 part format to adapt the (apparently breezy) VA and the wholly original sequel film seem like a weird idea though.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 8,5/10 My expectations were nonexistent, neither is my respect for the Urobutcher and who cares about puppets but this mad mix works. Shockingly so! The visual and direction are phenomenal, the soundtrack is exiting, the VAs are appropriately over-the-top, the hand-puppets have a lot of personality and there is even full blown gore. Fans of high adventure PSX RPGs and Wuxia films as House of Flying Daggers need to see this. And I now hope for more puppet anime in the future. Wow. This is what I always want from the current industry, quality original anime and I got if from the strangest place possible. But dear Urobutcher , no more Psycho Pass.

Ongoing are: Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable.
Also: BoJack Horseman and Steven Universe + Teen Titans Go! (both need a coherent airing schedule).
Japan turned the disastrous looking season around, well done. I even got 2 original shows and atypical ones at that! I skip direct adaptations of martial i ain´t a die-hard fan of and "my" shows are thus:
91 Days, Berserk Crying or Very sad , Planetarian and Thunderbolt Fantasy. WB´s The Killing Joke is lastly about to come out and will redeem their somewhat average 2016 output. Hype!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
This really seems like the most divisive season. Mostly.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
I have all the same complaints with Mob Psycho 100 that I did with One Punch Man, to no surprise. ONE's sense of comedic timing just perpetually irritates me. You always come up with the punch line in your head before it does, making the entire show feel like an irritating "friend" that's repeating your jokes louder to look cool. The more natural jokes that are built-in, like Mob seeing the girls he isn't interested in as vegetables, are decent at least. Plus, there's a little more range in those jokes than the obsession with having one core joke that just gets repeated endlessly.
That said, the animation was fantastic and so was the soundtrack. I'm surprised I haven't noticed any comments on the latter. Either I missed people noticing, or people missed noticing. The latter would be a tragedy, in my opinion.
In any case, it might be worth watching just for the cool designs of the baddies. Really fantastic stuff. Enough to make me forget the pain of the "jokes".
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Battery is going to be simulcast anywhere?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

I was sure I read that FUNi has that show, but I can't find any mention of it neither here nor on their site. With the premiere tomorrow, I hope it will get picked up.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
So I forgot that there actually were other shows that I wanted to check out.

The Art Club Has a Problem-Usami was extremely annoying which makes me not want to continue with the show. 1/5

91 Days-This was my favorite first episode of the season. I was invested in what was going on almost immediately and I thought the transition to the flashback was well done. When the end credits started, I my reactions was, "Damn, now I have to wait a week for the next episode!". Looking forward to seeing where this is going. 4.5/5

Alderamin on the Sky-I liked how the first episode had some world building and introduced us to the core cast. I grew to like the characters fairly quickly and enjoyed the chemistry between Ikta and Yatori. 4/5

Planetarian-The world that they set up intrigues me, which is why I ended up giving it a higher grade than I normally would. Yumemi was annoying which was the point, but I couldn't help but wonder why Junker just didn't walk away instead of still talking to her. spoiler[He does later in the episode but still.] 3/5

Time Travel Girl-I wasn't expecting the show to start out with spoiler[Futa going into cardiac arrest. I immediately thought of the Anchorman meme.] I liked how the episode created a foundation for the show's overall story. I wonder if it will explain spoiler[how Mari and William were able to hear the other talking in their respective language. I'm guessing that Eiji made the necklace do that. ]. I love history and enjoy learning so I'm curious to see how the show progresses. 3.5/5
Random 21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
sunflower wrote:

I was sure I read that FUNi has that show, but I can't find any mention of it neither here nor on their site. With the premiere tomorrow, I hope it will get picked up.

Didn't Amazon get the exclusive streaming rights for ALL Noitamina shows? I would've thought they would have it in that case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 40