• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 1.0 is Now Top Grossing Eva Movie

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I guess that's top billing by their standards. Of course $12 mil here isn't a huge margin. That's like lower than standard. For us blockbuster is like $100-$300 mil.

Man, it shoots up and goes back down and shoots back up again. Man, the fans must really been taken in by that movie. Of course you know 'ADV' probably has the "papers" and are ready to sign on the dotten line when the time comes.

I soooo want to see this movie.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Of course you know 'ADV' probably has the "papers" and are ready to sign on the dotten line when the time comes.

That would be the obvious thing. But, in the back of my mind, I can't help but think that people in Hollywood aren't stupid, and this *is* basically a license to print money. So I would not be surprised at all if Sony swoops in. Or even someone else enterily unexpected...Hell, even Manga isn't out of the game!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
"Top grossing Eva movie"

Uh.. considering it's only the third one overall, the first of four remakes, and after about ten years of animation development, how exactly is this shocking?

I think a better headline would've been "Top grossing Gainax movie."
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
"Top grossing Eva movie"

Uh.. considering it's only the third one overall, the first of four remakes, and after about ten years of animation development, how exactly is this shocking?

It is to the people loudly proclaiming that Eva is "dead." Wink

Quote:
I think a better headline would've been "Top grossing Gainax movie."

Strictly speaking, this movie is not a Gainax production like the other Eva movies. Part of the reason for the formation of Khara is to separate the new movies' production from Gainax. That's why Gainax is not listed in the production credits, and is only given a cursory nod for the original series' story.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
That's technically incorrect, if you adjust for inflation.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That's technically incorrect, if you adjust for inflation.

Technically, you're even more incorrect that you were before. Remember, Japan has been experiencing deflation this past decade. The new Eva movie's total is even higher when that's taken into account.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Um, no. It's behind the first movie by $3 million.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Um, no. It's behind the first movie by $3 million.

Um, you're thinking America-centric. That's inflation for America. To repeat, the Eva movies' box office is in Japan, which has experienced the opposite of inflation this past decade. In both unadjusted totals and adjusted totals for Japan, the new movie has now made more yen than either of the old ones.

Wow, what the other posters say is true. No wrong point goes undefended.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Since they're computing in dollars, it's ok to think in dollars.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Since they're computing in dollars, it's ok to think in dollars.

Uh, Box Office Mojo calculates its Japanese totals from the original Japanese yen (subscribe to a premium pass to see those totals). Because, you know, Japanese theaters' box offices don't accept dollar bills. Hence, the conversion rate on those pages.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I still say, that regardless of which Eva movie sold a few pennies on the dollar more at the ticket booths, it doesn't really matter. Essentially Eva 1.0 has sold about the same as End of Eva. The difference is pennies on the dollar. Inflation and yen-to-dollar exchange rates could probably run either way and probably aren't that significant (I agree that Japan's inflation rate is more applicable, in any case it's not a huge multiplier so I don't think it is important). DVD sales would probably be a more important figure and there's no info on that yet, obviously.

I suspect that in the end, End of Eva and Eva 1.0 will do about equally well. If that's true then IMO that would be equivalent to Eva not doing well. Not quite a death, but a substandard performance. Being the first Eva movie to come out in a decade, I would expect better. There's a good chance that the later Eva movies will do worse, extended sequels tend to run that way.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I still say, that regardless of which Eva movie sold a few pennies on the dollar more at the ticket booths, it doesn't really matter. Essentially Eva 1.0 has sold about the same as End of Eva.

In the end, Eva 1.0 will have sold significantly more than End of Eva, because it's still in theaters to earn more. It earned $1.6 million just in the past week, and its totals have only dropped 22%-35% week-to-week.

Quote:
I suspect that in the end, End of Eva and Eva 1.0 will do about equally well. If that's true then IMO that would be equivalent to Eva not doing well. Not quite a death, but a substandard performance. Being the first Eva movie to come out in a decade, I would expect better. There's a good chance that the later Eva movies will do worse, extended sequels tend to run that way.

The expectations are different in Japan, because year-to-year box offices have plateaued, not gone up. (Ticket prices have not gone up in Japan, unlike America. Most of the reason why later movies have bigger box office totals in America is that tickets prices have gone up, not that more people are watching movies now.) To have a third movie in a franchise do better than either of the previous two is considered good in Japan.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Of course you know 'ADV' probably has the "papers" and are ready to sign on the dotted line when the time comes.

That would be the obvious thing. But, in the back of my mind, I can't help but think that people in Hollywood aren't stupid, and this *is* basically a license to print money. So I would not be surprised at all if Sony swoops in. Or even someone else enterily unexpected...Hell, even Manga isn't out of the game!

There's an interested thought. After all we still haven't gotten that live-action 'EVA' movie that was supposed to be done here. Maybe if enough people here hear about it maybe it will get them to move whoever plans on doing the movie to move their asses.

On a side note, I finally figured out where your "avatar" came from. Hahaha!!
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice is correct about Japan's deflation. I can't believe that I totally forgot about this.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,501030303-425952,00.html

EVA is not dead. I rest my case.

/j
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I do not buy your guys' claims or logic that Eva is NOT dead.

Note that I did not say Eva was dead, but I said that based on what limited info has come out so far, that it does not seem to be doing as well as I would have expected, which is a bad sign.

You guys haven't refuted my arguments at all. testorchoice's second paragraph above doesn't respond to what I said. He misunderstood what I said completely and is randomly talking about something unrelated.

Whether there is inflation or deflation doesn't matter to me. I said that I agreed that there is probably a little bit of deflation in Japan. That doesn't affect my arguments.

Also, keep your claims that Eva 1.0 will end up selling significantly more than End of Eva to yourself. That hasn't been proven. If you want to make that claim, wait another month for the actual figures to come out, then make it. I still think that the difference in ticket office sales between Eva 1.0 and End of Eva will be pennies on the dollar. If it's not more than a 20% difference, I won't hold it to be of any significance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3