• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
Didn't Amazon get the exclusive streaming rights for ALL Noitamina shows? I would've thought they would have it in that case.

You are right. I completely forgot that this is a noitaminA title Embarassed
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Does anyone know if Battery is going to be simulcast anywhere?

I was sure I read that FUNi has that show, but I can't find any mention of it neither here nor on their site. With the premiere tomorrow, I hope it will get picked up.

Thanks! Me too. It looks like the kind of lower key sports anime I like.

And... I just saw the above. Ok I'll watch for it on Amazon.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
I've always hated Danganronpa's magenta blood. It weakens the horror tone it sometimes tries to use and the characters are not so stylized (except for some of the eyeballs) that I can buy that they're bleeding printer's ink. It doesn't look like a CMYK world.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, as far as shorts go, it looks like the gap left by Luluco will not be filled. Shame.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I was really on board for Fudanshi, as I don't have a problem with straight people insisting that they're straight. I'd prefer less panic over it and not using "normal" as interchangeable with heterosexual, but I don't expect such nuances from high school boys.

But then I watched the second episode, and could only sigh in disappointment all the way through. I'd hoped that Sakaguchi's gay friend fellow student would add something to this, but apparently he's only tolerated because he's willing to be a gofer to be near the straight boy he's in love with. They're going to have to have something pretty spectacular up their sleeve to dig themselves out of that pit. I am not optimistic that they do.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Nick Creamer wrote:
Welp, we've done it, everybody. We've clearly arrived at the final anime, because I don't know where we go from Bananya. Bananya is about a cat who lives in a banana - that's the joke. The cat lives in the banana, and it bounces around on its banana-bottom. It likes sweets, apparently. Its name is Bananya.

In a world where Bananya is an anime, anything is possible. Feel free to follow your dreams, because this cat is also a banana. It wants to be a chocolate-covered Bananya one day. That is a noble goal.

Bananya is an anime, an anime you can watch. There are other shows too, but they are not this one, and they do not feature a cat who is a banana. What are you waiting for. What is there left to say. Bananya.

Of all things, is this what finally broke Nick? Lol.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
@Nick I usually leave this convoluted thread alone, outside of my own seasonal anime write-ups, but why did Bananya break you and not Onara Gorou? It´s about sentient no-budget farts, or whatever i skimmed through. I saw way crazier animu shit, not counting pr0n. The ultra creepy history behind this famous meme is much more insane than a simple Banana-Cat. Even i could market those! (That anime Jesus looks like me... crazy.)

Live your dreams everynyan, Never Stop Never Stopping.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But then I watched the second episode, and could only sigh in disappointment all the way through. I'd hoped that Sakaguchi's gay <strike>friend</strike> fellow student would add something to this, but apparently he's only tolerated because he's willing to be a gofer to be near the straight boy he's in love with.

Casting that character as the resident Meg struck me as reductive, too, especially given the show's premise. It's a shame to see such a bad decision made so early on, since the premiere had such great energy and sharp jokes.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess anyone could guess which show i'll be watching.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I couldn't guess, which? Luluco is gone and now we have Bananya Confused This makes me involuntarily envision biting the cat head off when eating my daily banana, not good. Yes, anime shorts are sounding the depths of the barrel with this and Onara Gorou. Lets not forget Hybrid x Hearts either.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Though is it much of a bugbear for there to be trace amounts of alcohol remaining in cooked food? Even leavened bread is slightly fermented!

Sorry, dropped off the face of the earth there, so this reply is really late.

For most people? Nah. But as someone who is, for lack of a better description, "alcohol intolerant" for even small amounts (we're talking less than a teaspoon's worth here, barring yeast and extracts), it is something that affects me personally, so I get a little miffed when it's championed as a mark of "safe" eating. But it's really just the misinformed part that irritates me more since I, oh, wouldn't be able to drive myself home after eating banana fosters, despite the waiter's insistence that it "cooks out". Rolling Eyes So, more of a pet peeve, really.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Danganronpa 3: Despair Arc: 4 / 5. That's more like it! Again, another warning: This first episode must be seen right after the first one of the Future Arc, and it looks like that's going to be the order, just as they are shown. That's really interesting. But yeah, this episode was faaaar far away better directed and better at hiding the animation shortcuts, this had the energy, joy and bizarre humor of the franchise (though it makes sense, the first scene already tells you the tone structure and it already hintes the despair part of it), it presented again all the likable cast of the 2nd cast (mostly by their one-traits, but it's still charming to see them again) while keeping things simple enough to understand (mostly thanks to the familiarity with the cast), and it also brought a shitload of likability and charisma to the teacher that spoiler[now makes me sad about what happened in the other series (in case she's really dead and she talking in a cinema is more an after-life meta epiphany)]. I'm excited again for both series and how they complement as a whole Very Happy .

I don't know if waiting until the episodic reviews, but I comment it now, spoiler[about the imposter. It seems now they have taken the form of an (female?) animator, but in the future arc, before they were abducted and when they caused troubles, we can see them as Byakuya, so that means inbetween they assumed his identity and that's the memories they kept when they went to the experiment of Dangan Island. However, we can clearly see that their fatness and love for food is a clear part of their identity, and I also wonder if their good nature and willness to do things right are also theirs, because that's one of the things Byakuya 2 had that the original didn't (and in my opinion made him far more likable and engaging the short time he was in the game).]
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I've heard good things about Battery in terms of it's quality as both a relationship story and a baseball story. (and over the past couple of years I did kind of go on a baseball anime and manga kick, watching and/or reading Cross Game, Touch, Ace of the Diamond, H2 - which might be my favorite, and Big Windup!) what is available of Mix, Knowing it is on Prime, I will be adding it to my watch list soon, especially since the reviewer whose reviews I am usually most likely to agree with seems to like it so far...
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Battery. Now that's the Noitamina I know and love.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Some clarification for Theron: Zero-G isn't the same Zero-G Room from the '90s, but a relatively recent studio made up from the old remnants of Radix, producers of Haibane Renmei and Kikaider.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 40