• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, Battery has already won me over. Go is awesome, Takumi is a snert with lots of room to grow, and the grandfather is terrific. I hope I'm wrong, but spoiler[Seiha seems to have death flags all over him.]

OP and ED are lovely (very reminiscent of Grimgar), and props to Amazon for getting them subtitled right out the gate. Why can't Funimation and CR do that? On that note, I wonder how Amazon feels about having their series' thumbnail with Funi's logo plastered over it...
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Battery is what I like in a baseball anime, as much slice of life as about people who love the sport. It has a relaxed feel that suits the sport. This actually reminded me of a Miyazaki film, not in animation quality, but in how the characters and place felt very real, like this very family might live one town over. 4/5

And now I need to figure out if I can watch all these series this summer and still have a life!
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
I'll be watching Battery, mainly because I definitely remember being incredibly fond of the J-drama adaptation years ago and if the anime is half as good, it's sufficient to somehow make time for it in my viewing schedule. *crosses fingers*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
I read the reviews on Alderamin on the Sky, and I watched the first episode. Their main gripe was the unlikable snarky sexist protagonist. To be honest that was what sold me to this anime. Finally we have a lazy, smart guy who doesn't get flustered when there is a girl nearby (there's are already too much of those guys in anime these days). Finally someone who makes inappropriate jokes and sexual innuendo's like normal guys do (at least I do IRL) and that makes the guy unlikable? I, for one, loved the first episode and am curious to where the rest leads! Very Happy
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:26 am Reply with quote
Not exactly a complaint, but Takumi and Go from Battery do not look their age. It's a good thing Grandpa Harada informed the audience that Takumi is "12 or 13," because I initially had him pegged for 15-17, with Seiha falling into the 11-13 range.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
I've noticed something about "Scar-red Rider Xechs" and I hope everyone doesn't get mad at me for saying it. It's about the name of the alien invaders in this anime. They're called "Nightfly O'Notes" and to me,like the Lucifer Hawks of "Silent Mobius" fame,they sound like the name of a character from an old Hanna-Barbera cartoon. Or is it just me?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
^
No, it's not just you. I also thought it sounded like a name from some old American cartoon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe how many people don't see Hatsukoi Monster as a parody. It can't be more blunt that it is unless they outright said so on screen.

The show fully expects the kind of response people have with the crazy age differences. Kind of hard to gauge it from episode one as a result.

And I have to agree the over the top 'this is sexist!' complaints about Alderamin on the Sky is really offkey to me. The protagonist for once isn't a bumbling, fumbling mess and apparently that is 'sexist'. There's plenty of room for him to grow and to be humbled and it's a little too soon to make out his potential in the story right now. Besides, I don't really mind seeing some protagonists who could double as anti-heroes or are bit of antagonists in their own shows. It mixes things up a bit.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised Alderamin ended episode 2 the way it did. I was expecting the "twist" to come out. It was already hinted at throughout the episode, so to leave it hanging at the end seemed like a poor decision.

I'm less surprised that they left out Ikta's taste in women ;P
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
I can't believe how many people don't see Hatsukoi Monster as a parody. It can't be more blunt that it is unless they outright said so on screen.

Just because it's a parody doesn't mean it's a good parody. Kokkuri-san is a good parody. Hatsukoi is just a mess of toxic tropes thrown against a wall, none of them stick, and the result is a foul-smelling goo on the floor no one wants to clean up.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Probably the wrong place to ask this, but what determines if an upcoming anime gets an Anime Spotlight or not?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Probably the wrong place to ask this, but what determines if an upcoming anime gets an Anime Spotlight or not?

They have said in the past that the Spotlights are based on material supplied by the Japanese license holder. Which shows get a spotlight and when is dependent on the company supplying the information. Since it is material solicited by ANN for the information of their readers it doesn't qualify as an ad.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:35 am Reply with quote
>That moment when people still don't know that Qualidea Code is a cross-over anime.
Thus, the characters in the anime may seem bland due to the lack of development and backstory because that was already covered in their respective series.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:53 am Reply with quote
I'm in the minority of those who likes Berserk, despite its ugliness/cheapness. Berserk deserves better, but the essence of Berserk is still there. If they got Berserk's story or characters wrong, it would get less than a 3.5 from me.

I feel that since the anime audience is so young, they have little tolerance for ugly design or animation. I've watched quite a few anime that have ugly design (usually on purpose) but are beautiful otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 40 of 40