• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ReLife (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
They're constantly being monitored so if things went too far it would be easy to put a stop to it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
True. The lighthearted nature of this anime makes me believe that even if the relationship were to happen they wouldn't actually have sex. Since Gina brought it up, I got a bit carried away. The relationship I had in mind was the sweet and fulfilling kind with maybe a kiss at most. How the memory wipe would factor into that, I don't know. Hishiro looking up in the sky thinking that she's happy she made friends and Kaizaki having managed to get his life back on track thinking back to the sweet memories he made. Maybe the show ending with the two of them meeting somewhere out of coincidence a few years later. FIN.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
I forget if it was explained in the anime or if I'm remembering something I read in the manga, so I'll spoiler tag it just in case. spoiler[The memory wipe would make others forget about the Relife subject, but memories of the events themselves would remain. So Hishiro would still remember falling in love and having a relationship, and thus retain all the emotional growth that occurred during that time. She just wouldn't remember who her partner was.]

Of course this might be a moot point since spoiler[they're both adults and might remember everything about each other once the year is up.] Or alternatively it's possible spoiler[that since the Relife subject would be erased from the minds of all their classmates that might include each other and neither of them will remember the other.]

The ending will likely see them being hired by the same company after the program allowing them to start fresh in either case.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I'm not sure what kind of dude cares whether their girlfriend is a virgin or not.

Some people are old fashioned about it. The point was, if she told her next lover she'd never been with a guy before, and he realized that wasn't true, it would raise some trust issues. But if she has hazy memories of a relationship, sex included or not, then the point becomes moot. Instead, she'd just feel like a tramp for sleeping with someone she couldn't even recall.

Quote:
How would the guy even know whether she is a virgin or not?

Are you seriously asking that? oO Since this isn't a sex ed class, I'll just say signs are indicative, while lack of same are not indicative, which is problematic for cultures where the woman's life may depend on it.

Quote:
With roofies it's just rape. There is no consent in that situation.

I don't think she consented to having her memory wiped, which is also a part of the roofie experience. :/

Vaisaga's spoiler info doesn't make this any more palatable for me. Do you remember your first kiss or your first love? How would you feel about it (or about yourself) if you couldn't remember the face or name of the person you were in love with? (like a few days later, not decades down the road) I feel shitty when I can't remember casual friends' names from the past, but if it was someone I felt I'd loved, I'd really feel like a jerk (who was that I was making out with a few days ago...hmm). Not to mention the sense of loss. If this happened to Hishiro spoiler[when she was actually in high school], she'd probably crawl right back into her shell of worthlessness.

To summarize, my beef is with this aspect of the situation never even being addressed, let alone handwaved. It's all about how it impacts Kaizaki. But other than that, I still love the series and really hope for another season. If they make disks, I will buy them. Smile
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Are you seriously asking that? oO Since this isn't a sex ed class, I'll just say signs are indicative, while lack of same are not indicative, which is problematic for cultures where the woman's life may depend on it.

As I understand it the only way the guy could know for certain is to ask.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Figured the dub was a good excuse to rewatch this show. Up through #7 on Funimation.

Being dumped all at once I think hurt this show, a week to week build up would have benefited this one. If you buy into the highly unlikely premise, the results play out pretty much as you would expect and very competently.

I blew through it in a few days subbed initially on crunchy back when it was new, and was surprised by the nostalgia buttons it hit.
Who would not want a chance to redo high school with 10 years additional experience?

Dubbed is a fine effort, nothing really to complain about except my own personal preference.

It is a show about Japanese High School, so hearing it in a foreign language is a bit jarring.
But, once over that, its easy to fall into liking the dubbed roles.

The different ends are pretty sweet, guess I am showing my age though....
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
OVA (Episodes 14, 15, 16 and 17)

So these suddenly showed up on Crunchyroll. Actually really enjoyed it, especially as it feels like some finality with the series, which can be a rare thing.

Interesting to see that Hishiro was actually really smart to put together the pieces in figuring things out. Even if she was not supposed to, she did say it out loud to the handlers, which was funny. But with how it worked out, it started to look even sadder as neither of them would remember the other after the experiment. They did fall in love with each other, but the graduation thing was hard. Honestly, it did feel like things were a bit on fast forward compared to the original series, with a length of time being put into these 4 episodes, or maybe mostly 3. The school festival part was fun though.

It was kind of a depressing ending, that these two would forget each other, that this pair would be wasted at the end. Especially with the ending playing and nothing was pushing towards these guys interacting with each other, maybe just accepting the emotions of that as a bittersweet part of the series. But then it went on, there was more left, and it happened, they got to interact with each other again, and by that force of an impression they left one each other beyond just memory, they remembered each other, and I would say it did feel earned.

In general, it was mostly the same fun stuff, the general theme running through these OVA episodes were that things would be forgotten, that they will drift apart, but there was still value in meeting each other, and getting the most out of their ReLife. I rate it Good (7/10), and was certainly worth watching. That I can feel complete with this series.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Finale OAVs

So, it made for a really nice dramatic ending but for the life of me I just cannot think of a logical reason the company would have for erasing their mutual memories. Not in the least.
The ending wouldn't have been possible without the memory erasure being overcome but IT MAKES NO SENSE!

Did the source manga create some reason?
They had a decent reason to not to reveal that they were both test subjects during the ReLife and maybe even to not outright tell each other afterwards, because their experience was supposed to be their own struggle and own accomplishment-- but how does erasing the most key part of their ReLife rehabilitation have any purpose?

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:28 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm really glad they did these OVAs because they addressed most of the issues I was having with it before. Overall, it was a very satisfying wrap-up for me.

I agree with Minnow's lament that there's no logical reason to have them forget each other, so I kinda chalked it up to the pharmaceutical magic of making everybody but the handlers forget the ReLife subject, and that would naturally include other ReLife subjects. A side-effect that can't be helped. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But it seems to me this "other division" that apparently takes care of erasing artifacts of the subjects, like photos, was lying down on the job by not confiscating the phone straps. I assume they wiped everybody's phones of evidence, so why would they leave that?
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the OAVs and it was a satisfying conclusion to the story. I remember the TV series being really funny at times while the OAVs didn't really have any moments that made me laugh. Also all the emotions that the first season had generated in me had kinda dissipated over time and so I didn't have as good of an emotional grasp on how close all the characters were and where the story was. Since this was so short by the time I got to settle in again, the show's already over. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone.

The first season didn't exactly have great visuals but I feel like it atleast had background characters. I just couldn't help but notice the obvious transparent blue and pink shapes that were supposed to represent background characters.

I'll say that I agree with Spastic Minnow and Gina that there's no logical reason to have Kaizaki and Hishiro forget each other. I was kinda hoping that Yoake or Onoya would pull something off, but Kaizaki and Hishiro were reunited in the end so I'm happy with that.

Rating this good.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Check out the responses to This Week in Anime - Giving ReLife a Second Chance, those familiar with the manga explain the fake-science reason behind the mutual mind-erasure... although there's a little something left to be desired about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3