• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
In Memory of Innocence: A Guide to D.Gray-Man

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Kingoanime wrote:
Beansprout Midget wrote:
Kingoanime wrote:

I figured we wouldn't get an ending with Hallow since it's only 13 episodes, I just hope it does well enough for a full on ending. Has the mangaka ever finished it or is it still on hiatus?

The manga's been off of hiatus for just over a year now. In fact, the newest chapter just came out (Chapter 223 I believe) recently. The only downside is that it's on a quarterly release, so about four chapters a year. Confused

Man that's great/sucks. How much material do they have for the anime if it went into a full continuation?

Not to much because after Hallow there is a new arc called spoiler[Searching for "Allen Walker" and it had yet to be concluded]
tsvkkis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
The only character design I have a real issue is with Miranda's, she looks like a completely different person. Where is her signature black ringed eyes? Also it will take me some time to get used to Lavi's voice change, it just seems so weird to me.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I remember hearing about this series when it originally came out, but I never got around to really looking into it. What should I know, if I'm curious about the original?
Kingoanime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
I remember hearing about this series when it originally came out, but I never got around to really looking into it. What should I know, if I'm curious about the original?

The first 18 episodes are a bit of a slog with some gems sprinkled in, but it gets great once they introduce Krory. It get's really great once you hit the undubbed half of the show.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I've been binging on the manga to recall what happened (last time I read it, I was in high school....)

I have to say, I really love the art style change that went into Hallow. It's closer to the manga, and the later manga looks quite lovely to me. Allen especially looks awesome Smile

(To be fair, I was never a fan of the old anime...they reaaaally stretched stuff out over a ton of episodes xD)
Kingoanime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Kingoanime wrote:
Beansprout Midget wrote:
Kingoanime wrote:

I figured we wouldn't get an ending with Hallow since it's only 13 episodes, I just hope it does well enough for a full on ending. Has the mangaka ever finished it or is it still on hiatus?

The manga's been off of hiatus for just over a year now. In fact, the newest chapter just came out (Chapter 223 I believe) recently. The only downside is that it's on a quarterly release, so about four chapters a year. Confused

Man that's great/sucks. How much material do they have for the anime if it went into a full continuation?

Not to much because after Hallow there is a new arc called spoiler[Searching for "Allen Walker" and it had yet to be concluded]

Does Viz still put out new Volumes or have they let the license expire?
janchicsiken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
Beansprout Midget wrote:
Seeing this made my day, thanks ANN! I don't think people realize how great this series is, as it (as well as Hitman Reborn) have been over-looked in my opinion.

As much as the art style is different, I don't mind it, as it matches Hoshino's art style in the manga better than the older one would have at this point in time. And, having the same music from the first series is definately a huge plus for me; especially since I love the composer's works.

The only thing I'm having a hard time with is the new VAs. Most of the originals are still alive and acting (sans a small handful), I won't really understand why they recasted everyone. I don't mind The main 4 so much (though Lavi is a little higher pitch for my tastes). I don't remember Link/Inspector too well, as they had very few episodes back in '08. Komui is a little too different for me, and Cross spoiler[ only had an episode and a half ] So I'm not that concerned. The only ones I am worried for are the Earl, Tyki, and Alma. Tyki and the Earl sounded great in the original, so I hope these new VAs can carry on. Alma we've never heard, so hopefully it's okay. At the end of the day, I can just turn my sound off I guess.

Oh my god, I 100% agree with your comment!!!! Katekyo Hitman Reborn and D. Gray Man are my top 2 animes and in all these years I never really got into any other animes as I did for these two.

In the first ep of DGM Hallow, I was super disappointed to hear Lavi's voice. This seiyuu just doesn't do as much justice as the previous one, in my opinion. He just sounds too high-pitched and annoying and Lavi is my fav character (hence the dissatisfaction). I wished they used back the old seiyuus but I guess that thought that changing everything was a good thing idk.

In general, the first ep of DGM Hallow was a lil disconcerting because of all the different seiyuus, and how some characters changed physically (looking at you Miranda with your spanking new hair colour). But the vibes were alright and I was just too dang happy to be seeing new content again (after 8 years guys. No one can complain with that).

13 episodes though......that seems to be too little to properly go deep with what has been going on:
1. Allen and Neah
2. All them new Noahs (like we only had a few in the past cmon)
3. Kanda and Alma - Like he's in one of the posters and he hasn't appeared in the first two eps cmon
4. spoiler[Lavi and Bookman dammit. They better at least put that part in and show what is happening to them.]
5. The creepy ass Apocryphos, like what is going on there. He creeps me out so much in the manga lolol.[/spoiler]

WE NEED MORE EPISODES PLS. I NEVER FORGOT DGM AND I NEED MOREEEE.
Animegrannie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
By now most/all of the DGM fans have seen the newest episodes that have been offered for DGM. The 13 eps are a continuation of where they left off 8 yrs ago.
I for one am disappointed in this, it's like they felt they could ride on the coattails of the original series and call it good. I'm sorry that's what Hollywood does i don't expect that from a country that has such a large pool of talent and imagination to draw from.
spoiler[Ok, first there is the time skip, I can live with that it's been 8 years after all and time skips happen all the time. And I can live with some of the changes in the characters, it's a time skip thing, they were kids (most of them) after all. But what happen with Noise Marie!? Did he bleach his skin or something and what happened to his top knot? ]That was one of the things that I just couldn't get my head around. And the pacing of this was way too erratic, it's like you're on some high speed roller coaster being jerked around wherever the tracks take you and when it stops your just glad it has so that you can catch you breath and try to take in what just happened and whether you enjoyed it or not.
If they had stayed with the same dark feel of the original, not gone with such cartoonish colors, and not rushed the story line I think that a lot of fans of the anime would have been happier.
But that is just this old lady's opinion. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2