• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rewrite

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
What I said about the 6th route is directly from the mouth of the head honcho of Visual Art's, said only six weeks before the series debuted - IOW, well after it would have been far into production.

I already know that.

Key wrote:
Now, that doesn't exclude them summarizing some of the other routes on the way there.

This is what I'm referring to. Even if the "main" point of the series will be that 6th route, it could still end up making a hodgepodge of routes that aren't supposed to be happening at the same time. That's what I fear. It feels like the producers want to have their cake and eat it too.

Key wrote:
Again, the goal here is to retool the story so that the real main point is clearer, so you can probably assume that any decision made on how the story is shown feeds into that. That's also why this is a rare case where saying "read the VN instead/in addition" might not actually be helpful.

I know that that's how it's supposed to go, but really, I can't recommend this to someone new to the series at all right now. I'll still watch it and reserve my final judgement until it ends, but I already told some friends that I was hoping would watch it to avoid it.

The big thing that puts me off is the addition of the scene with the giant crab. This isn't even foreshadowing or anything. It takes away the amazement from later on. That's why I'm saying that this feels even more like a product made for the fans of the original than how a direct but summarized adaptation (like Little Busters) would. It's been nothing but teasing and little winks and nods.

No story details, but I'm still tagging it: spoiler[The "retooling of the story so that the real main point is clearer" already exists in the visual novel itself. It's the Moon and Terra routes.]

To summarize: other than the scene with the crab, the anime hasn't actually been doing anything different. It's not its own separate thing yet. The only thing it's been doing is move around some events, skip others, and completely destroy any buildup.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
Key wrote:
What I said about the 6th route is directly from the mouth of the head honcho of Visual Art's, said only six weeks before the series debuted - IOW, well after it would have been far into production.

I already know that.

Key wrote:
Now, that doesn't exclude them summarizing some of the other routes on the way there.

This is what I'm referring to. Even if the "main" point of the series will be that 6th route, it could still end up making a hodgepodge of routes that aren't supposed to be happening at the same time. That's what I fear. It feels like the producers want to have their cake and eat it too.

Key wrote:
Again, the goal here is to retool the story so that the real main point is clearer, so you can probably assume that any decision made on how the story is shown feeds into that. That's also why this is a rare case where saying "read the VN instead/in addition" might not actually be helpful.

I know that that's how it's supposed to go, but really, I can't recommend this to someone new to the series at all right now. I'll still watch it and reserve my final judgement until it ends, but I already told some friends that I was hoping would watch it to avoid it.

The big thing that puts me off is the addition of the scene with the giant crab. This isn't even foreshadowing or anything. It takes away the amazement from later on. That's why I'm saying that this feels even more like a product made for the fans of the original than how a direct but summarized adaptation (like Little Busters) would. It's been nothing but teasing and little winks and nods.

No story details, but I'm still tagging it: spoiler[The "retooling of the story so that the real main point is clearer" already exists in the visual novel itself. It's the Moon and Terra routes.]

To summarize: other than the scene with the crab, the anime hasn't actually been doing anything different. It's not its own separate thing yet. The only thing it's been doing is move around some events, skip others, and completely destroy any buildup.

From an interview with Director Tensho. iNVivO from MAL did the translation:
Quote:
The routes are distinct in the game, so how will the story composition of the anime be?

Tensho: In the game, there were 5 heroine routes, but for the anime, Tanaka Romeo helped a lot on creating the original sixth route, which I'd be happy if you guessed it from seeing the second key visual. No worries, we will make sure that the heroines get their time to shine. It will be a really great story so please look forward to it.

Since Tanaka is the one penning the script and supervising along with Kai, this new original route is canon AND correspondent with the heroine's routes.

From an interview waaay back with Tanaka, Kai, and one of the main scenario writers. Usuzumiiro from MAL did the translation:
Quote:
ーー 原作との整合性みたいなもの、考えながら進めていくわけですか?
-- Are you proceeding while thinking about the consistency with the original?

脚本 / Scenerio guy
その辺りは原作では、今のように隣に原作者のひとりがいてくださるので、「これで大丈夫ですかね?」みたいにすぐ意見を交換できるので、僕としては楽です。
It's still like in the original, where now even I have one of the authors of the original by side me, so I can say something like 'Is this OK like this?' and exchange opinions right away, so I'm at ease.

田中 / Tanaka
でも設定はかなり忘れちゃっているので、僕自身も確認しながらという感じです。
But I have forgotten the setting quite a bit, so even I have to re-check it.
〜〜
ゲームと違ってアニメは、毎日毎日お話を作っていくわけですけど、そういうところの苦労はありますか?
Unlike with the game, you are working everyday creating the story, but do you have any trouble doing this?

田中 / Tanaka

そこらへんは監督が指示をしてくれるので、毎日導入を工夫したりとか、引きを作ったりとかするのは、うまくやれているかなと思います。
About that, the director guides us, so I think coming up with an approach everyday, and building connections is going very well.

魁 / Kai

監督は結構具体例を挙げてくださいますよね。たとえば「ここでちはやを活躍させたい」とか。
キャラクターが多いので「このときあの子は何してたっけ」みたいなものがあるんですが、そういうのもカバーしてくれてます。
The director gives quite a lot of examples. For example, "I want you to have Chihaya be active in this part" and etc.
There's quite a lot of characters, so we often think something like "What were we doing with that girl this time again?", he also takes care of that kind of problem for us.

脚本 / Scenerio guy

構成をやってくださっているだけあって、ちゃんと盛り上がりも締め方も考えてくれていますね。僕としては脚本の中に身に集中できるのでありがたいです。
As expected of someone doing the composition, he's respectfully thinking of the climax of the story and how to tie it up as well.
I'm thankful to him for this as it means I can concentrate on the scenario.
〜〜
ーーゲームでは、構成が複雑なところもありますね。
-- In the game, there's parts where the composition is quite complicated too.

魁 / Kai

そういった意味では、ゲームの複雑さをちょっとわかりやすくというのは心がけていますね。
Putting it that way, we will be keeping in mind about the game's complexity, and make it easier.

脚本 / Scenerio guy

一見さんにもわかりやすい物語にできればなと思っています。その辺は、みんなさんの頭を悩ませてしまっているんですが(笑)。
We think it will be good if we can make it so it's a easier story to understand for the first-time viewers.
Though that worry about is on everyone's mind (*laughs*).

魁 / Kai

こちらはキャラクターの行動の目的と結果を知っているんですよね。
だから「初見だとこれは理解されないかもしれない」ということに、かえって気付かなかったりすることがあるんです。そこは不親切にならないように気を付けていますね。
We know the intentions behind the actions of the characters and the outcomes.
So, 'if they are a first-time viewer, they may not understand this point', it follows we may tend not to notice this. We are being careful not to make this point too unfriendly for them.

田中 / Tanaka

だから、設定が本編とちょっと違ってもいいかなと思っているんですよね。もちろん、ガラッと変わってしまってはダメなんで、なるべく整合性がとれるように調整はしているんですが。それを気にしすぎると、
わかりにくくなってしまいますからね。そのバランス感覚をだいぶ意識してやっています。
And as I said, I think it's OK if the setting is a little different from the original.
Of course it's not OK if we change it beyond recognition, but we are coordinating it so that it doesn't lack consistency. If you worry too much about it, it will become too complex to understand. I'm very aware of the sense of balance.

脚本 / Scenerio guy

僕としては、大元の設定は固まっているので、ヒロインたちをよりかわいく、ときに面白く……
Keyさんのゲームでおなじみの日常描写ですね。その辺のところをうまく出せればいいなと思っています。
In my opinion, the original source is stiff, so I want to make the heroines more cute, and more fun......
The everyday life portray that Key works are known for.
If I can produce this well, I'll be happy.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I've already read interviews.
I already know Tanaka himself is working on it.
I already know they're trying to make it easy to understand for newcomers.

But whatever they said doesn't matter when we can see the the actual finished product.

Like I said, I will hold my final judgement until it ends, but I also can't recommend it as of now.
The truth of the matter is that they didn't have a proper build up to the supernatural happenings that was a very strong point in the visual novel in my opinion. That's already done and there's nothing that can be done about it. Now we'll just have to see how they handle things after the common route ends. That is obviously the stronger part of the game, so who knows, it might end up being good after all if handled correctly.

By the way, making it easy to understand for newcomers doesn't mean the same as making it good. I'm not complaining that newcomers won't understand what's going on. Everything's perfectly understandable (as far as they should understand as of now) so far. The problem is that it it's not quite good.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
I've already read interviews.
I already know Tanaka himself is working on it.
I already know they're trying to make it easy to understand for newcomers.

But whatever they said doesn't matter when we can see the the actual finished product.

Like I said, I will hold my final judgement until it ends, but I also can't recommend it as of now.
The truth of the matter is that they didn't have a proper build up to the supernatural happenings that was a very strong point in the visual novel in my opinion. That's already done and there's nothing that can be done about it. Now we'll just have to see how they handle things after the common route ends. That is obviously the stronger part of the game, so who knows, it might end up being good after all if handled correctly.

By the way, making it easy to understand for newcomers doesn't mean the same as making it good. I'm not complaining that newcomers won't understand what's going on. Everything's perfectly understandable (as far as they should understand as of now) so far. The problem is that it it's not quite good.

Mkay, then I'll just say that I recommend it for any newcomers. And I have witnessed others who had no knowledge of the VN and watched the show. The confusion was there, but they enjoyed the comedy and had fun, they also liked the supernatural elements at play. I'm not of the monotheistic belief that the original is always better, nor do I adhere to the baby-duck syndrome. The creators admit that the original was convoluted in its composition. With the anime, there are many things they can do better or were not able to with the original medium.

One person's trash is another person's treasure.
One person's treasure is another person's trash.
Vice versa of the phrase.

This is mass media entertainment, where the audience's self-interest is high priority. If the audience doesn't like what they see or are not entertained, then they naturally drop it. Whatever notion that someone else or a group considers "good" doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
So, VN experts, when do you think the boring introductory arc will be over? The only things I like about this show are the protagonist messing with his male school friend (those incidents are funny and remind me of the humor in Angel's Beats) and the mystery of the ribboned ghost girl.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So, VN experts, when do you think the boring introductory arc will be over? The only things I like about this show are the protagonist messing with his male school friend (those incidents are funny and remind me of the humor in Angel's Beats) and the mystery of the ribboned ghost girl.

As a joke and reference, Everybody Loves Yoshino, lol.

From an interview with Morita (Kotarou) and Saito (Kotori). iNVivO from MAL did the translation:
Quote:
4: Besides Kotarou and Kotori, what characters do you like?

Morita: Yoshino (answering immediately). I like him to the point that I want an episode which features Yoshino and Kotarou only. I want to do a gig consisting only Yanagita-kun (VA of Yoshino) and me!

For the VN, the turning point was on November 13th. As for the anime, if what Morita said at the pre-screening is any clue, "half of the half of the story," then the turning point is EP.7. If my memory serves me right.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
RaylenCypher wrote:
Mkay, then I'll just say that I recommend it for any newcomers. And I have witnessed others who had no knowledge of the VN and watched the show. The confusion was there, but they enjoyed the comedy and had fun, they also liked the supernatural elements at play...This is mass media entertainment, where the audience's self-interest is high priority. If the audience doesn't like what they see or are not entertained, then they naturally drop it...
Well, I'm one of those unfamiliar with the VN and the only reason I watched Ep3 was to see what Mr. Martin was on about since Ep1-2 had almost nothing happening except to gather the harem. The rest was very out of place and superfluous, therefore uninteresting. If I were a casual anime consumer who might not know other good Key shows, I'd have checked out already. Ep3 had only one funny bit, and I don't mean the "grope the Sempai's Oppai" fixation. However, I haven't seen a "can crusher" in decades (I have been recycling since 1982) so that was a bonus of sorts...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
well, generic key title, so I'll enjoy, tahknkfully the jokes are nto written by tanaka so they are now hit or miss instead of pure miss, i mean, I "liked" his "jokes" in the sense that they lightened the mood and as that they worked, but they were never funny, so that's an improvement at least.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
The common route isn't over yet. This backstory was part of the common route when you're going for Shizuru's route. Next episode is going to be the same for Lucia.

The adaptation of the actual backstory was rather fine, but again, the problem was the build up. I feel we aren't too attached to Shizuru here to give it the proper impact.
Even then, I've gotta say they had me there with Koibumi. Changing right afterwards to Lucia ruined it, though.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

It's Key, so it'll probably be a while. Maybe more stuff will happen during Lucia's focus episode due to the nature of her powers, but I sort of doubt it. Assuming every heroine gets one focus episode, (5 - Lucia, 6/7 - Chihaya/Akane, 8 - Kotori seems like a natural order), stuff will start happening in episode 8.

I'd personally recommend someone to wait for the 2nd season of Rewrite (if there is one) so they could marathon it through rather than wait weekly. While Rewrite is different from other Key works, it's definitely a slow burn like most Key VNs. Right now, Planetarian is obviously better, but it's unfair to compare the 3rd episode of a 5 episode series to the 4th episode of a 26 episode (hopefully) series. Unless they give Moon and Terra their own individual episodes, which would be a trainwreck to say the least.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
I like what they did and why they did it.

The main con of the VN was having subtle details that were integral to the overall story very faint. And another is the limited resources it had, for instance, we never got a clear or even full visual of Shizuru's parents in the VN. To add to that since you may not know this, the camera/journalist Inoue, never had a sprite for her character (but she was voiced, and she'll have her own sprite in Rewrite+).

First, the subtle details are now explicit and apparent. Esaka-san clearly knows more than he lets on, since he was shown looking younger in Shizuru's backstory. The guy Kotarou ran into, purple-jacket wearing Imamiya, shows hints of a possible past with Kotarou. Upon asking and learning Kotarou's name, he replies, "I see. You really are living an everyday student life."

Yes, it appears that there is an organization that's aware of people with superpowers and the monsters that exist. Fodder for speculation, the Opening shows Kotarou in professional attire that kinda screams Men In Black. There's even a quick frame that you might miss of what looks like a hospital room. This might link him to that organization or the other one you brought up. By the way, they touched up the Opening if you notice at the end, that weird symbol that looks like a clock at the end is more apparent and moving forward.

Speaking of which, there was some confusion about Kotarou's ability you had. In the 1st episode, Kotarou monologues, "Should I step on the accelerator?" He also off-offhandedly reminded himself while chasing after the ghost in episode 2, that his rewritten abilities won't revert back.

Lastly, something of interest that connects his desire/motivation to his ability. Back at the end of episode 2, the answer he wrote to the question [You have power, and are discontent with this world. Tell me, do you wish to change the world? Or do you wish to change yourself?] he wrote, "I hope I can become a somebody." In the first episode, Kotarou's introduction starts off with this line: "One day, I realized I had nothing."
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Right now, Planetarian is obviously better, but it's unfair to compare the 3rd episode of a 5 episode series to the 4th episode of a 26 episode (hopefully) series. Unless they give Moon and Terra their own individual episodes, which would be a trainwreck to say the least.

I was under the impression this series was twelve episodes, hence the massive amount of backlash on these forums about it going to end up being a rushed adaptation (not to mention it adapting a new route on top of that).
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm just along for the ride now. Rewrite is my least favorite KEY work, but I don't dislike it. So far the anime is doing a decent job (animation is another story) a bit rushed but what can you expect?

I can only think of a handful of endings that can be done for the girls, since a few go down a route that can't work. In the VN you had to do them in a certain order but that has no meaning here. I didn't expect them to do any of the routes to be honest with such a low episode count. I thought they would've saved the stories for OVAs or whatever.

I have a feeling there will be a second season since the pace they are at and the opening sequence is all daily school life.

invalidname wrote:
I've been much happier with the more adaptive VN anime that really rework the material for anime (for example, ef or Rumbling Hearts) than slavishly loyal "we must reproduce each arc for the fans" shows (lookin' at you, Little Busters!)
The thing is with Little Busters you need those stories for the ending for it to work. I can't really think of a what they could've done without hacking the story up.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
I was under the impression this series was twelve episodes, hence the massive amount of backlash on these forums about it going to end up being a rushed adaptation (not to mention it adapting a new route on top of that).

I think most of us are hoping that there will be a second season since I believe they said something about adapting Moon and Terra in the interviews. Due to the nature of those routes, it wouldn't be possible to adapt them during these 13 episodes.

So, most likely the first half of this season will be adapting the common route (including backstories such as this episode) and the other half will be the original route (with bits of the other routes, as they've hinted in the interviews).

That means another season for Moon and Terra. I'm thinking they'll pull a Grisaia and adapt Moon in an hour-long special and then Terra for the rest of the cour. That's where I'm putting my hopes for a good Rewrite anime on. Needless to say, if they somehow add those routes into these 13 episodes, it will be quite a massive trainwreck.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Looking through these posts, I've never seen English as a foreign language before as I have no clue as to what most of that means; Anyway, that episode four thumbnail reminded me of that "moe parody" character they came out with for Welcome to the NHK, the one where they combined everything moe into one character and somehow created its antithesis so I was curious to see what show it was...

Key. Say. No. More. Kyoto Animation made their versions plotted, ie "watchable", the rest are not so much.

Also, now that I look at the image as a "Key as a Kyoto Animation production wannabe", I can't help but notice the "not" Ishihara trademark sunset. However, the sky's too bright and the sun... suns?... in his sunsets don't cause lens flare like that as it looks more like a bomb going off.

Wait. I'm not watching the show: Is it a bomb?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7