• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 10 Pokemon You Don't Want to Become Real

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
It would be kinda funny seeing Muk being real.

The pokemon may not be real, but chemicals that smell that bad do actually exist. I wanted to share this because if I didn't know about these kind of things I'd think that Muk was ridiculous.

On another note, let me link something else too. I generally don't read fanfiction, but one I can give high recommendations for is Pokemon: The Origin of Species which, among other things, is a meditation on what it might be like to actually live in a world where such creatures exist, and how societies form around domesticating them. It's really interesting because the core spirit of the games is kept intact, while having things be a lot more sensible and 'realistic', in that the danger these things would present is actually depicted: 'killed by pokemon' is still a leading cause of death in that world, and when the legendaries come out it's like a natural disaster.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
Wow! I've never played the games,I just watch the anime,thank you very much. But,can you imagine how a pokemon would feel after reading Jacob's list? It's response might go like this:"Are you serious,Mr. Chapman? Pokemon might not exist in your world,but we're not all dangerous. Most of us aren't dangerous to humans,especially children. And yes,there are real world animals in the pokemon world. There are bugs and stuff like that but unlike many animals we like being around humans. Take a deep breath everyone. Most pokemon aren't like the terrifying creatures of myth and legend. We're much closer to the creatures in the anime than the creatures in the games.
Like humans,pokemon can be good and bad. The behavior that you shown on your list would be looked down upon by other pokemon,just like the terrible things that some humans to do other humans,like stealing,kidnapping,or murder. Not all of us are like John Wayne Gacy,Ted Bundy,or this freak in Nice who ran over those innocent people with his truck. You'd be glad to know that most pokemon aren't out to hurt humans or stuff like that. We like you far too much for that. So,if you're going out looking for a pokemon,don't worry. Much of that stuff is just silly myths to scare people."

If there were real pokemon,that's what many of them would respond to this list. Me,it doesn't matter one way or the other. There are people out there who enjoy this sort of thing. I'm not the guy who's going to put a stop to it.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
Regarding Pokémon types, it depends on the medium. If we're talking about video games, it's Ice. There are some really neat designs among the Ice-type, such as the graceful-looking Glaceon and Froslass to Avalugg, a walking iceberg mixed with an ice carrier (which was seriously considered among the American military for use in polar regions due to impure ice being extremely resistant to damage but was scrapped due to difficulty in construction).

If we mean the TCG, it has always been and will likely always be the Psychic-type. Pokémon categorized as Psychic in the TCG have really weird and interesting effects, some of which don't look that useful until you give it a lot of thought, which is perfect for a Johnny category player like myself. I have built more interesting rogue decks using Psychic Pokémon than any of the other basic Energy types.

If we mean the anime, I don't really have a favorite type there. The anime plays fast and loose with physics and rules, so none of the types really develop any patterns or styles.

FilthyCasual wrote:
Man, just think of all of the times that Muk hugged Ash...

And I've always been creeped out by the Lake trio most of all. Just touching them turns you into an emotionless, blind, mute shell of a human being... urrrgh.

Perhaps it's like with Rapidash: It's only harmful if they're in a bad mood or don't trust the person nearby. Muk loves Ash and loves Professor Oak, and perhaps it can turn off its toxicity like that.

The Lake Trio definitely have messed up abilities. I think they only use them when they absolutely must, however. But of them, Uxie is the worst because all it needs to do is open its eyes.

CrownKlown wrote:
Although I am surprised Mewtwo is not on there, he is basically the most powerful pokemon in the game and an emo with deadly psychic powers.

Mewtwo is a unique Pokémon (though its uniqueness is debatable), and each time it's appeared in a video game or the anime, its motives are not pure evil, but a troubled soul of some sort.

Except for Yveltal, all of the Pokémon listed are common where they live, and so someone who lives nearby will probably encounter one frequently. And Yveltal is a Pokémon that can bring instant death to whatever it wants whenever it wants as long as the living thing is close enough. Pokémon Y has, as a major plot point, Team Flare attempting to harness Yveltal's power to eliminate every living thing on the planet save for itself. And Yveltal can do just that in an instant. (By the way, in the Diancie movie, Yveltal spoiler[kills Ash's Pikachu.] Seriously, they went there.)

The only reasons Yveltal isn't the most horribly broken Pokémon ever, at least from a story perspective, are that it treats mass death as a job (so it selectively kills, and Yveltal will not kill without a good reason for it), and its powers are directly counteracted by Xerneas, which has the opposite ability, the dominion over life. As far as I can infer, Xerneas is the one being Yveltal cannot kill.

SailorTralfamadore wrote:
I haven't played the fifth generation games, but I heard Yamask are found all over the area that's supposed to be the Pokemon world's version of Ground Zero. Is that true? That just makes them worse...

I'm glad that Jake didn't just fill this list with Ghost Pokemon, but Banette is the one that made me like "yeah, I'm glad this Pokemon didn't exist when I was 10." I was the kid that got super-attached to my stuffed animals and had trouble giving them up even when I got older. My generation got enough of the pack-rat mentality from The Brave Little Toaster and Toy Story, we don't need some evil former doll that hunts down the kids who threw it away.

For the former, Yamask is found in a barren desert region with ancient ruins. It has no parallels to Ground Zero besides corresponding roughly to the place in New York City if you place a map of NYC over Unova. These ruins have been around for hundreds of years, and the same region is populated by Sigilyph, ancient artificially-created guards. If anything, the Yamask were most likely citizens of that ancient civilization that got wiped out for unknown reasons.

I don't know if you've played through a Kalos game, but you can find a wild Banette in a trash can. It's found in the Pokémon Forest, a remote secluded area used as a sanctuary for Pokémon abused by their trainers.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
DRosencraft wrote:
Yeah, I think that universally there is
not a single Pokemon that is "just okay".

Ledyba isn't that bad... wait, it's HOW tall?

Well, there's Audino. If you fight one, it may choose to heal you!

penguintruth wrote:
This is why "oh, those poor Pokémon, people keep them as slaves and have them fight each other" doesn't track with me. They're horrifyingly powerful creatures that need to be subdued. It's amazing humanity ever even sprung up as the dominant species in the world of Pokémon, if you can even call them that. Master Balls need to be mass-produced! (And then only given to me.)

Johto lore, as well as the 4th movie, state that humans managed to carve out their niche in the world because they discovered Apricorns could be modified to catch Pokémon, and once caught, could be trained. Poké Balls are actually stone-age technology; only recently have they become totally artificial.

Another possibility is that some Pokémon were naturally friendly to humans, or humans learned to tale and domesticate them, and humans became the dominant species through combining the powers Pokémon had into teams. It'd parallel real-life humans domesticating the wolf early on into dogs, with cats and horses not long after.

jr240483 wrote:
i'm surprised those two werent in that list. in fact i'm more surprised they mentioned victribell and not carnivine since it does the exact same thing and more. not to mention darkrai considering it gives nightmares too all instead of only doing it to kids like drowzee.

I'd guess variety. I personally wouldn't want it to be dominated by the waste Pokémon, who have similar abilities. (Grimer and Muk represent liquid waste, Koffing and Weezing represent gaseous waste, and Trubbish and Garbodor represent solid waste.)
peno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote
I've just found this interesting article on Eurogamer.net: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-15-uk-police-ask-pokemon-go-players-to-please-take-care
It seems like Pokémon can be dangerous in more ways than we thought Very Happy
Though I can hardly say I am surprised by this. If people are willing to risk not only their own lives but others as well by texting while driving, why they can't make the same risk when playing Pokémon Go Rolling Eyes
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I am personally victimized by this list. Poisonous gas? Don't care. Houndoom is my baby and I want one. Even the most temperamental breed can be trained. That said, don't like my Houndoom? Fight me.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
A couple of Pokémon that no one seems to have brought up yet: Tyranitar and Aggron. These dangerously aggressive giants can go on a destructive rampage if their territory is badly disrupted.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
The more and more people talk about these things, the more and more I think the folks at Game Freak don't think these things through. It makes you wonder how the hell the Pokemon world got to the point of telephones when the wires can be cut by even the weakest of these godbeasts.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
The more and more people talk about these things, the more and more I think the folks at Game Freak don't think these things through. It makes you wonder how the hell the Pokemon world got to the point of telephones when the wires can be cut by even the weakest of these godbeasts.

The answer they'd probably give is, "Don't think so deeply about it." I mean, there are barely any roads for vehicles, almost no government (libertarian paradise), children don't attend compulsory school, and society, industry and socialization revolves entirely around Pokémon in the world of the games.

I mean, the entire game screams of the MST3K Rule, but for games. If you're wondering how they eat and breathe, and other science facts, you should just repeat to yourself, "It's just a game, I should probably just relax."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:34 am Reply with quote
Don't forget that Pokémon Centers heal Pokémon for free for everybody. Then again, they could be paid for by the government, whatever little of it there is. Also, terrorist groups get completely wiped out by upstart children and teenagers.

Also, we can add Mudsdale to list of calamity-causing Pokémon, a big and bulky Pokémon that literally throws its weight around recklessly, causing huge damage wherever it goes.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Also, we can add Mudsdale to list of calamity-causing Pokémon, a big and bulky Pokémon that literally throws its weight around recklessly, causing huge damage wherever it goes.

Hmm...Not sure about Mudsdale, since, judging from his bio and going by the nature of Clydesdale Horses, he would be regarded as more of a gentle giant who just happens to be massively powerful. It probably would take a lot to provoke it into an outrage.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
Well, the article is about Pokémon with dangerous tendencies. It doesn't have to be about them getting upset. Yveltal is #1 on the list, for instance, because it is a force of death. It can kill everything around it without even trying, regardless of its emotional state.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3