• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [Hosoda Collection] BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Nice review. Though I still have the question of if a person already owns the Bandai Blu-release of this film is there any reason to buy/trade-in for this Funimation edition? Like does this release contain better audio/visuals and/or have extras/special features that the Bandai release didn't have? Or are they identical content-wise?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm a tad curious as to what these "unfortunate narrative choices" are.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I loved this movie the first time I saw it but with each viewing certain flaws came out and by the third viewing, the only sequence I still liked was the Vincent Van Gogh inspired visual sequence.

I loved Battle Athletes Victory when Akari is told by her dead mother that her future only begins once she runs toward it so run, Akari, run! It was a race against her formerly dead mother so, yeah, it's weird and very literal. The running part, not the future part.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time; It's all very literal... for her, while spoiler[the guy probably had an easier method because... well, it's easier for guys. You know?]

Oh this movie.

spoiler[If he had a no nookie clause... I mean, not trying to change the past, why was he trying to ask her out?]

spoiler[Why is ok for him to go back to the future but have Makoto run after him?]

spoiler[Why did Makoto suffer from karma while the guy did not?]

spoiler[With the painting and the girl, this guy had his cake and ate it too. I know a lot of time travel stories but one is ridiculous in how easy the guy gets off. No butterfly effect, no "you have already changed the past" by having him be the one who destroyed the painting... oh, oh. That would have been so cool if Makoto was the one who destroyed it because the guy was such an ass. No luck there, her love was genuine, his was convenient.]

spoiler[The aunt. If you want to get really cynical about this series, it's the Time Traveler's Mistress. If she was, I don't know, maybe a Wife it could mean something to her life as well as his; But since it's just a Summer memory for the aunt, it should be no different for Makoto.]

spoiler[The aunt. So sequel, remake or history repeating itself?]

spoiler[The aunt. You all know it would be so cool if that was Makoto who travel...]

And that's one of the more basic problems with the movie; It's cute because that's all it wants to be, no complex time travel, no paradoxes, not even the basic "your time travel caused the event to happen that you tried to stop" set up. There's also the awful sexism but it could just be Japan. spoiler["Hey, the guy has to wait, think on how hard that will be for him!"]

Yes, just terrible. Serves him right... He could feel bad for hours? Or, just a thought, he could be the one to do something?

spoiler[Couldn't he just live in the past? How was he living in the past to begin with? Why go to school? Why get close to people? Why go back to the future?]

It's an ok movie if you don't think about it?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
^
Wtf? People really are looking for sexism where none exists, these days...right after being sexist youreslf. Things are not "Easier" for guys...wow, that's just rude. Things are "Easier" for certain people, regardless of their gender. Some people just struggle with things other people find easy. That's life.

As for why he couldn't live in the past..... He "didn't belong". There also hints that he might've been monitored or something by people from his time. But it's a common theme in time-travel that if you don't belong in a time, extremely bad things will happen (such as being erased completely). As for him not having "bad karma", we don't know he didn't. We didn't really see much of his side. You make too many assumptions based on things we DIDN'T see.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

The aunt. So sequel, remake or history repeating itself?

"The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" is loosely a sequel to the book, where the Aunt is the main time traveling character. I'm not sure how that is considered a flaw in the show.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:34 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
^
Wtf? People really are looking for sexism where none exists, these days...right after being sexist youreslf. Things are not "Easier" for guys...wow, that's just rude. Things are "Easier" for certain people, regardless of their gender. Some people just struggle with things other people find easy. That's life.

As for why he couldn't live in the past..... He "didn't belong". There also hints that he might've been monitored or something by people from his time. But it's a common theme in time-travel that if you don't belong in a time, extremely bad things will happen (such as being erased completely). As for him not having "bad karma", we don't know he didn't. We didn't really see much of his side. You make too many assumptions based on things we DIDN'T see.

For some reason alot of people don't like to say anything bad about this movie and hold it up there along side of ghost in the shell and akira. I just watch it a few days ago and was shock on how much I disliked it. I'm a huge fan of time travel do over stories all you need is kill, bioshock inf, madoka hell even trucks in dbz. After i watch it i went and read/watch review to see if anyone felt let down by its story and no they just say its fresh to watch a time travel movie you don't have to think about its just slice of life. The slice of life part of the story was also not that great the cheese line at the end spoiler[after a fake out kiss] had me rolling my eyes. The characters looked flat in a world that look very realistic was always a sore thumb to watch.

This movie is over rated turns out to be pretty dull this is the worst thing a piece of entertainment can be in my opinion
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Yay, people are finally saying negative things about this movie!

I watched it like 6 or 7 years ago, so it's not fresh in my mind at all, but I remember being crazily let down by the last 1/3 of it. It was like 25 solid minutes of crying, and the gist of the plot wound up being spoiler[dude goes back in time to make women guard a painting for him]. Seems kinda sexist to me, or at the very least a bad plot. Then again, I thought Sayaka's ending in Madoka was super sexist, which I know is not a popular opinion to have. spoiler[teenage girl willingly ceases to exist so a boy she likes can play the violin...seriously?]

But yeah, it started out good, and looked really nice. The "too early climax" seemed poised to deliver something interesting, but...it did not.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
I thought it was an okay movie, but the guy is bad news. It seemed pretty obvious to me what he was doing.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I own the Bandai special edition (chipboard box + soundtrack) which I got when some local Best Buy stores sold off all their anime a few years ago. I thought the movie was very good until it kind of fell apart at the end (which, IMO, pretty much all time-travel movies tend to do at some point); however, I was not that impressed with the visuals. Not that it looks bad at all, but not so impressive that I would want to double dip. Summer Wars was much more visually impressive to me.
Stratum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Then again, I thought Sayaka's ending in Madoka was super sexist, which I know is not a popular opinion to have. spoiler[teenage girl willingly ceases to exist so a boy she likes can play the violin...seriously?]

If it had ended with spoiler[Madoka telling Sayaka that her wish wasn't a waste because the guy can play the violin,] then I would probably agree with you. Instead, however, it ends with spoiler[Madoka telling Sayaka that her wish wasn't a waste because it had meant something to her and that it needs to be honored and respected. The emphasis is placed entirely on respecting Sayaka as an individual and not on Kyosuke or his gender,] and I can't view that as being sexist. Unfortunately, I don't remember The Girl Who Leapt Through Time well enough to comment on that specific subject, so I might rewatch it sometime soon.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:15 am Reply with quote
These comments are cringey as f*ck, Jesus, what is wrong with some of you people? If it was a guy doing something for a girl would it still be sexist? Or are you modern wave feminists just hiding behind that narrative to push your "men are evil" trite? It doesn't matter what gender someone is, if a person loves them them they're going to make sacrifices for that person.

Also, congratulations to those who didn't like a movie. I applaud you for your bravery to speak up against the masses that have silenced you. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1