• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon Games Introduce Newly Discovered Pokémon in Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
The only one I'm not crazy about is Bewear, terrible name by the way.

Must hate Pokemon like Tyrunt, Weezing, Throh, Horsea & Seaking.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Gen V meets a contender in Pokemon that are "just plain weird".
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
Serebii lists Groudon's weight (the non-mega version) as 2,094.4 lbs, and according to this article, Mudsdale weighs 2,028.3 lbs. So unless one or both bits of info is incorrect, Groudon is still slightly heavier.

Whoops! I misread Groudon's information on Bulbapedia--my bad. Embarassed
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
Damn Mudsdale is quite the heavy hitter when it comes to brute strength and Mimikyu sure is depressing but doesn't seem all that strong. Confused
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Damn Mudsdale is quite the heavy hitter when it comes to brute strength...

Bewear also makes for a heavy-hitting contender. Wink
tsvkkis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
I guess Hyper Training will make it easier to train comp pokemons Very Happy
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Mimikyu is the monster's English name? You'd think they'd have gone with "Mimichu" or something. I see that "kyu" and it reads like the transliteration of a Japanese word.

I think that's intentional. It's been tradition to change as little of Pika-clone names as possible (the one exception being Emonga changed to Emolga). Mimikyu is an honorary Pika-clone, at least as far as I'm concerned.

SnowWarren wrote:
Also wow, a pokemon based on a horseshoe crab!

It's actually based on the Isopod, hence its English name of Wimpod.

SejinPK wrote:
I'm hoping Mudsdale isn't yet another slow, physically bulky ground type with low special stats. From the description, it already seems like it'll be slow, but I'm still hoping they'll do something different with its other stats, as the whole ground/rock/steel Pokemon with high/decent HP and physical stats, while having low speed and special stats, has been done plenty already.

Stamina alone will set Mudsdale apart from the others. It'll probably have low Special Defense to offset that, but those shenanigans people did with Justified (especially with Terrakion) and Beat Up could potentially be done with Mudsdale too.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
These abilities and designs yes Pokémon! Competitive will be interesting for sure. If Mudsdale has high defense stat to begin with could be a perfect stall for Mega Kanga. Especially since Kanga knows no STAB super effective moves.

Bewear is amazing I love him. And that ability totally makes sense so essentially adds an extra weakness to fire but on the flip half all moves that make direct contact so kind of gets rid of its fighting weakness? Sorta.

Comfey is great too. Love the ability hopefully it means it is quite defensive and special defensive could be a great general staller.

Mimikyu I love so much aha so awesome and essentially a free sub from the start and if disguise works again once switched out brooooken.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Comfey is great too. Love the ability hopefully it means it is quite defensive and special defensive could be a great general staller.

Comfey's Triage should be enough to help it excel in its niche by a huge margin. Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Mimikyu I love so much aha so awesome and essentially a free sub from the start and if disguise works again once switched out brooooken.

I highly doubt it. Disguise, looking at the video, invokes a physical change onto Mimikyu, and that indicates the status remains even if switched out and then back in, at least as long as the conditions to invoke the change are still in effect. (Other cases I can think of are Zoroark's Illusion, Castform's Forecast, and Cherrim's Flower Gift.)

I am certain Momokyu's sheet will remain damaged even if switched out and then back in, meaning you can only use it once. It would still make Mimikyu a great scout, however.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Comfey's Triage should be enough to help it excel in its niche by a huge margin. Smile

If Wimpod can learn Endure (and eventually, there WILL be a Move Tutor who can teach Endure...it's happened every generation since Endure stopped being a TM), I can see it pairing well with Comfey. I guarantee Comfey can learn Heal Pulse, and through that, could allow Wimpod to use Wimp Out multiple times in a match.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2