• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Reveals When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace English Dub Cast, Video

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or do the girls sound almost the same as one another? Seems to lose a little of the individuality for each character, I feel.

Also, I know it's not the same person, but it's nice to see new work from Phil Collins. Very Happy
jaykayjk10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or are these English VAs awful? I thoroughly prefer Japanese dub over English dub anyday, but the voice acting in this sounds horrible.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Very interested to find out if they can do justice for Hatoko's epicness in episode 7. Saori was phenomenal... Smile (They say she did it in one take.)
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Seems like most of the cast is made up of new/seldomly used VA and not even Greg Ayres or Brittney Karbowski (<3) whom either of them are in 99% of all of Sentai's dubs it seems are in this one haha I had pegged this as being released sub only when Sentai licensed it so any dub makes me happy and excited and looking forward to watching it once bought! Anime smile
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Very interested to find out if they can do justice for Hatoko's epicness in episode 7. Saori was phenomenal... Smile (They say she did it in one take.)

Spoilers...they can't do it justice. It won't even come close. Listen to their other works on youtube or something if these previews don't show you how "low end" these voices are compared to the JP. There's a reason they make a lot more money in Japan. That scene will be ruined for anyone that has seen it in Japanese. Probably won't be too bad for dub-only people since their standards are lower, but it won't be special like it should be.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Spoilers...they can't do it justice. It won't even come close. Listen to their other works on youtube or something if these previews don't show you how "low end" these voices are compared to the JP. There's a reason they make a lot more money in Japan. That scene will be ruined for anyone that has seen it in Japanese. Probably won't be too bad for dub-only people since their standards are lower, but it won't be special like it should be.

I wouldn't say standards are "lower", that just seems like a douche thing to say (but I watch both so it doesn't matter to me in the long run).

Either way even with the iffy clip shown I'll still probably pick up the show since I liked it when it aired. Sentai's dubs have always been hit and miss with me but I still give them a try.

Also Yay! Terri Doty! Always nice to hear her in non-Funi stuff every once in a while.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Why do you even bother reading/commenting on dub related articles if EVERY single time you comment it's saying how much you dislike English dubs? It's perfectly fine to not like them but do you honestly have nothing better to do then comment on something you know you don't like just to say you hate it and even worse act like a elitist jack*** by saying "Probably won't be too bad for dub-only people since their standards are lower, but it won't be special like it should be." ? I can't stand Japanese VA, I've watched and played many anime's and games that feature only Japanese VA and it's like listening to nails on a chalkboard but that has NEVER compelled me to EVER comment on a single Japanese Seiyu announcement article on this site or belittle the hard working VA or its fans. It doesn't matter at all to me what audio track one prefers but since joining last year I have seen you comment on dozens of articles for Eng Dub cast announcements and always saying the same thing how you hate it and how Eng VA are always awful so why do you bother commenting or reading these articles if you really hate the contents so much? Most people if they don't like something just ignore it but you seem to love antagonist comments. Do you get a feeling of superiority because you think you are a "real" fan and those who prefer dubs are just "fake" "Low standards" fans?.... I just don't see what you possibly gain from wasting your time commenting on things you are predisposed to hate regardless of potential quality.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
jaykayjk10 wrote:
Is it just me or are these English VAs awful? I thoroughly prefer Japanese dub over English dub anyday, but the voice acting in this sounds horrible.

Welcome to Sentai Filmworks.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
jaykayjk10 wrote:

Lol I was about to say there exact same thing. Typical Sentai here.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Is the show even any good? I mean it sounds generic based off ANN's summary. I'll check it out, it can't be worse than Magical Warfare.

Kougeru wrote:

I feel like I'm reading a bias elitist post from many years ago when comments like this were common. Aren't we past this?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
I feel like I'm reading a bias elitist post from many years ago when comments like this were common. Aren't we past this?

No, unfortunately we're not. Sure, sub elitists are some of the more uncommon, extreme examples, but so as long as the majority of people will spend time watching entire episodes of anime in Japanese and only watch 1-2 minutes, maybe one whole episode of an anime dubbed every once in a while, people are still going to likely be dismissive, even disgusted towards dubs and we'll still potentially see attitudes as seen earlier in this thread.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh Lord I was waiting for this come up. A bratty little girls nonsensical rant belittling her love interest because she can't understand him, and wants him to change to suit her, unlike the other girls who like him for who he is. Fantastic character, I still feel to this day, if you change him from being an otaku/chunni to being gay or some other group that feels to be pushed to the fringes, she would easily be the single most reviled character in anime for the same speech. Its only get love, because ironically despite its audience being anime fans, it lampoons a group like chunni who looked at with disdain. Its basically like the Mighty 9 commercial making cracks about anime fans not getting dates, but much much worse.

Seriously, play her whole speech but change him to being gay or autistic or something similar. And then tell how great of a speech that was.

Terrible character, and honestly i wouldn't mind if they just cut that scene out altogether, loved the anime other than that.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
If I can give some constructive criticism(which most people don't do and just call the dub crap), try giving the characters more emotion and actually sound like they're scared. I understand if some of the VAs are new, but watch the raw version a few times and maybe you'll get how to make the character have the same feel in English as the Japanese version did.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Geez, every time I see one of your posts, it's always full of hate. That being said, this one clip IS poorly dubbed.
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

Treeborn wrote:
Lol I was about to say there exact same thing. Typical Sentai here.

Welcome to typical Sentai Filmworks dub bias. Where tards still think they're living in 2010 thinking sentai (seraphim digital) is still the shittiest dub company around.

The clip seemed fine with me except for the MC sounding a bit like Scott Gibbs, but with every clip I want to see the full product.

Lizzie_B wrote:
try giving the characters more emotion and actually sound like they're scared. I understand if some of the VAs are new, but watch the raw version a few times and maybe you'll get how to make the character have the same feel in English as the Japanese version did.

English voice actors are not supposed to imitate the japanese performance or delivery. Its all up to the director and the actors trying it out inside the booth and a few times with the japanese producers giving the thumbs up or down. You can only follow the script, animation and design for the characters. When looking at this clip, all of the girls were clueless with no over exaggerated gestures to imply within the script and body language that it would call for an over the top delivery of being, "scared." Except for the MC, but even the body of the character and his faces were implying a character trying to play it cool yet confused. Plus, when it comes to criticism on the direction and how the actors act. Like Mike Mcfarland and Chris Ayres agree on, "criticise me, not my actors."
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3