• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses TOHO's 2016 Shin Godzilla Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Great it's licensed for the US. Not going to pay to watch it in theater but I'm definitely going to pick up the disc release.
Desslok

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
So I wonder if Funi will dub it? They've got a pretty robust dub staff and some reasonably deep pockets on a property that should sell well enough if a dub is laid down.

Either way - good news! Seeing a Godzilla movie in the theater is always fun!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
They have dubbed many live-action films but those are not really as well-known as their anime catalog. In terms of dubbing it, they might. However, it is probably weirder dubbing a real person than an animated person.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to be going to the theater to see this, dubbed or subbed, when Funimation releases it. I hope they announce release dates well in advance this time, unlike some of the other movies they've been putting out.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
So I wonder if Funi will dub it? They've got a pretty robust dub staff and some reasonably deep pockets on a property that should sell well enough if a dub is laid down.

Either way - good news! Seeing a Godzilla movie in the theater is always fun!

Calling it now. Theatrical run will be sub-only, Blu-Ray will have a dub. Then again, with Godzilla 2014 having done pretty well for itself and a sequel on the way for 2018, there might be enough tailwind for it to be dubbed out of the gate.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
I'm definitely going to be going to the theater to see this, dubbed or subbed, when Funimation releases it. I hope they announce release dates well in advance this time, unlike some of the other movies they've been putting out.

Vic Mignogna as Godzilla
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
[quote="rootsofjustice"][quote="Desslok"]So I wonder if Funi will dub it? They've got a pretty robust dub staff and some reasonably deep pockets on a property that should sell well enough if a dub is laid down.

Either way - good news! Seeing a Godzilla movie in the theater is always fun![/quote]

Calling it now. Theatrical run will be sub-only, Blu-Ray will have a dub. Then again, with Godzilla 2014 having done pretty well for itself and a sequel on the way for 2018, there might be enough tailwind for it to be dubbed out of the gate.[/quote]

If it's dubbed theatrically I won't be seeing it. As much as I hate dubbed anime, I hate dubbed live action far more.

If it's released in theatres subbed, I'll see it.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
Well I most certainly didn't see this one coming but I'm happy none the less and will definitely be going to see it in theaters dubbed preferred especially since I would love to hear Funimation's English VA in a Godzilla movie. Very Happy
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
Nice that we know it will have a north American distributor this early on. Takes some of the worry out.

The likelihood of this having a wide release (like Godzilla 2000) is basically nil though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
Adventure: They might do the Fathom thing with it.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
gravediggernalk wrote:
Vic Mignogna as Godzilla
I'd pay just to see that, because I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't watch something that bizarre given the chance. Seriously, though, I hope it gets a subtitled run, at least somewhat comparable in size to the Dragon Ball Z movies. For everything but those, I end up driving 3 hours in the middle of the week just to see something . . . and that's assuming they announced that screening more than a few days in advance.
Inopethflames

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
Is this going to be at all good, or are Japan's live action action movies basically terrible. Cause the only ones I've seen were the two attack on Titan films and they were horrible, especially the second one, and not from the visuals but from how terrible the plot, dialogue, everything else was. And the director of those is one of the main guys on this??
Blankslate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:44 am Reply with quote
Inopethflames wrote:
Is this going to be at all good, or are Japan's live action action movies basically terrible. Cause the only ones I've seen were the two attack on Titan films and they were horrible, especially the second one, and not from the visuals but from how terrible the plot, dialogue, everything else was. And the director of those is one of the main guys on this??

It's being directed by Hideaki Anno, so it has the potential to be amazing.
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:26 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
They have dubbed many live-action films but those are not really as well-known as their anime catalog.

They've even dubbed movies for third party distributors, like Well Go USA.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:50 am Reply with quote
If this is anything like how they handled the Yamato movie they picked up, I'm not too hopeful about a wide release in any form which is a shame. When Funi refers to a theatrical run, they most likely refer to an extremely limited Eleven Arts/Fathom run, if that.

I don't think they have the connections to do an actual wide theatrical run anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2