• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rewrite (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
episode three

Wait, we're still introducing important characters? Ouch. I'm not sure how much this new route deviates from the routes available in the original VN, yet, but I'm getting worried that it's going to end up feeling horribly overstuffed like a lot of VN adaptations tend to.

On the plus side, all the character interactions continue to be really charming and the jokes continue to work well.

Something that doesn't make sense to me (yet) is the main character's power. If he can rewrite parts of his body to change their properties, why can't he just do another rewrite to set them back? There doesn't seem to be any explanation for that so far. Feels more like his power is just "write" not "rewrite". I assume there is a reason. I just hope it doesn't get left out of the anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Feels like pacing have suffered a bit but I'm glad the episode covered some of Shizuru's background story. And it wasn't quite pleasant either...

Meanwhile, I kind like how they are balancing out the comedy with the drama. Kagari still remains the most mysterious character in the show imo though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else feel like the episode ended quite abruptly? Or maybe there was an issue with the video I watched (since I used "fan"subs). I dunno.

Personally I'm not all that excited to go over every girl's backstory and it looks like that's exactly what's going to happen.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Anyone else feel like the episode ended quite abruptly? Or maybe there was an issue with the video I watched (since I used "fan"subs). I dunno.

Nah, it's a typical after credit style stinger.

Cam0 wrote:
Personally I'm not all that excited to go over every girl's backstory and it looks like that's exactly what's going to happen.

That's how all these Key adaptations are set up.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Nah, it's a typical after credit style stinger.

Hmm, maybe it felt sudden bacause there was no next episode preview or anything. This show doesn't seem to have those.

Vaisaga wrote:
That's how all these Key adaptations are set up.

I kinda knew that. Doesn't make me any more excited though.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I just hope it turns out more like Kanon, less like Clannad.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
episode four

Here comes the backstory tour! Do we really have time for this, though? By the time we get to our "new route" there's not going to be any time left for it be more than paper thin.

Shizuru's backstory was cool, though. I'm sure, for people who've read the VN, this version was highly abbreviated and left out no fewer than 100 different important plot points, each of which would bring readers to tears. I liked this Cliff Notes version, anyway.

I can't help but think that the wolf pack could have been cut from the episode. Were they really setting something up with that? I mean, something that's actually going to make it in the anime. Otherwise, it just seems like a waste of time for a series that doesn't have a lot of it to spare. To be fair, it was amusing but it just doesn't feel connected at all.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
The format of the show makes it difficult to care about the tragedies of the characters since we hardly know them. Yea, it's sad what happened to Shizuru but the little time we get with each character just makes her story less. . . effective. And this will be the general complaint towards each girl's arc unless they surprised with a multi episode one where we may have some reason to care for the characters.

Me being a negative Nancy aside, I do think the music was really good this episode. I have listened to some of the game's OSTs and Scattered Flowers (this episode's BGM) is my favorite. Despite me not having much care towards the reveal of Shizuru's secret, the music does invoke some emotional response from me. There's a bit of positives I saw from this episode, too. It builds the world a bit more with the whole flashback scene -- the large dragonfly creature (and tentacle thingmabob from a few episodes ago), mysterious organizations, special powered beings give the show an air of mystery.

HelloBucket wrote:

I can't help but think that the wolf pack could have been cut from the episode. Were they really setting something up with that? I mean, something that's actually going to make it in the anime. Otherwise, it just seems like a waste of time for a series that doesn't have a lot of it to spare. To be fair, it was amusing but it just doesn't feel connected at all.

From the way Kotarou mocks Wolf dude (his classmate) as a sort of chuuni (that's how I interpreted it at least), I feel as it hints at the guy not really being a chuuni but actually having special powers or something of that sort. Perhaps that's how rumors spread of him single handedly taking down gangs? I speculate this because this episode reveals and last week's episodes shows that Kotarou isn't the over special power dude. He probably has more significance than just for hilarity.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5...

As an anime only viewer, I thought Lucia's arc was okay. Yes, it definitely feels quite rushed without much buildup but did capture some bits of her emotions. I just wish the show made more time to give her storytelling. However, it was still decent in the way that I was entertained enough.

The character chemistry between her and Tennouji is interesting to see and the part about Guardian vs Gaia makes me curious to see how much more it develops.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
episode five

The backstory tour continues! Lucia's arc was pretty much on par with Shizuru's - effective, but clearly rushed. Something that stood out to me was the lack of any real explanation as to why Tennouji let her poison get so advanced before using his ability to adapt to it. I'll give the VN the benefit of the doubt here and assume this was an adaptation problem.

I'm sure the after credits scene was meant to be a teaser for next episode but it felt like Shizuru and Lucia had a school project to make a late 1990s/early 2000s rap video. It was pretty goofy. Kind of curious where that's going.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
It was pretty goofy. Kind of curious where that's going.

Yeah WTF was that. It made me chuckle. It would be funny if the show went batshit crazy and had these moe girls go around killing aliens or whatever. At the moment though, I have no idea what to make of it. It just felt quite random.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
HelloBucket wrote:
It was pretty goofy. Kind of curious where that's going.

Yeah WTF was that. It made me chuckle. It would be funny if the show went batshit crazy and had these moe girls go around killing aliens or whatever. At the moment though, I have no idea what to make of it. It just felt quite random.

Gaming buddies? Something was mentioned with Shizuru with that group she hangs out with, I was thinking that it would not be surprising if real monsters were hunted by them. But it was a really weird thing to just have thrown at the end of an episode, a bit surreal.

The arc was a bit quick, but I don't know what they are planning in terms of total story. It was fairly easy to see who he was looking for, and that it was likely she saw an extra copy and wrote the letter. Plus that the little girl was just a part of her.

We do have an entire plot set up with one person apparently being "the key", who could save or end the world. A bit early to have any likely theories, I thought perhaps it was our main character, but it sounds like they may know who it is. I will put in an unlikely early theory that perhaps it is the club president, the character who has the occult club but does not even believe in it, yet somehow her countermeasures kind of worked. Maybe she is like a reality warper who can an unconscious effect on the world, and thus does not know she can do things. I await being able to make more informed theories, rather than stealing the plot of another anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
Lol, the investigation stuff was funny. Until of course, when they discovered they went to investigate the forest and found some disturbing stuff at work..

Wonder what happened to Inoue. I got a bad feeling about that.

On a lighter note, Lucia in a maid outfit?! I think I'm in heaven.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
That scene transition where Yoshino's pants unzipped and... Yeah, that was weird. Yoshino impersonating Bruce Lee by himself in an empty classroom was funny though.

I was worried at first that nothing would happen in this episode, but thankfully the 2nd half of the episode at least did something.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Certainly a humorous first half and I had a couple of chuckles (mostly the scenes Cam0 mentioned) but then things turned grim in the second half. The club president has some quite cynical views of humanity -- some points which I agree and others disagree with. But it's a very interesting take on her character so I'm looking forward to her arc. The visions Koutarou had when encountering the Ribbon girl was quite interesting too so I'm curious about this whole ordeal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6