• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Second Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:57 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
The breed of turtle is raised on farms in China for food

I agree with HaruhiToy - since everyone was saying Megumi lost because she didn't force the headmaster to bare his chest, I kinda got the impression that she actually won, but the headmaster just didn't realize it until it was too late. Smile

Well, she obviously needs to work on her timing... Wink But i'm glad that the matches remain kind of unpredictable, at least the ones where Soma isn't involved...
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I find it interesting that the reviewer warns people that they are seeing a turtle being butchered (and even that is pretty mild).

My thinking was that people have a harder time when it's something that might actually happen in real life (not everyone likes to think about where meat comes from), and also that turtles are popular pets. No one likes to see their pet eaten.

myskaros wrote:
They're not leaving anything out, at most a couple lines here or there.

You're right - this is pretty much verbatim from the manga. I'm trying not to compare the two overmuch, since that can get grating to read, but also because I think that a good adaptation can improve on the source material - this was a chance for the anime to do that.

It actually took me a long time to come to that conclusion about adaptations, so I understand if others don't feel the same. My poor parents and all of my "but there's no kissing in Jane Austen novels!!!" rants in high school... Laughing
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Mimasaka's about how I expected, and seeing him take care of his bike.

Oh man, there's gonna be some great imagery in these next few episodes!
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Sooooo, here's a tangentially related rant.

The school definitely won't care what this douchebag did to his opponent's equipment. This is stupid and defies all logic.

When a show doesn't care, it becomes impossible, as a viewer, for me to care. This is a bad thing. I watch Pretty Little Liars, and this show completely shat the bed on its big mystery reveal, tossing continuity and logic out the window and crapping on the fan base completely. The fans responded by peacing out in droves. This is the correct response. The show was always complete camp nonsense, which was the whole charm and fun of it, but it also had an internal logic and continuity, and when it stopped caring about that, the viewers stopped being able to care as well.

This is the same for anime. We love villains whose motivations make sense. The ones who have no reason to do the stupid crap they do, though? Just make you shout at the TV. Evil for the sake of evil because why not a bit more evil? Please stop. It makes no sense. If this is an elite cooking school that cares about cooking, this guy would be expelled for screwing with someone's equipment before he was rewarded for it. The narrative tension they're trying to create through this act of illogic can't be created, because the viewer can't fully invest. It could just as easily have been done in this instance by having the guy shit on the younger brother until he just snapped.

Anyways. I don't care if exaggerated illogic is a shonen trope. There are shows that make it work within the in-world rules of that show, and shows that just don't care, and it makes all the difference in quality.
Guus van Voorst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The school definitely won't care what this douchebag did to his opponent's equipment. This is stupid and defies all logic.

Wouldn't call it extreme vandalism of tools by smearing something easily removable as chewing gum...

Quote:
This is the same for anime. We love villains whose motivations make sense. The ones who have no reason to do the stupid crap they do, though? Just make you shout at the TV. Evil for the sake of evil because why not a bit more evil? Please stop. It makes no sense. If this is an elite cooking school that cares about cooking, this guy would be expelled for screwing with someone's equipment before he was rewarded for it. The narrative tension they're trying to create through this act of illogic can't be created, because the viewer can't fully invest. It could just as easily have been done in this instance by having the guy shit on the younger brother until he just snapped.

Has it maybe come to your mind that he purposely tries to rile up Takumi in trying his very best against him. Subaru is a lot craftier then you give him credit for, as the story will continue.
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
This is the same for anime. We love villains whose motivations make sense. The ones who have no reason to do the stupid crap they do, though? Just make you shout at the TV. Evil for the sake of evil because why not a bit more evil? Please stop.

You don't actually know what this guy's motivations are though.
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Nope, I don't. That's why I prefaced my entire post by saying it was a tangential rant at best. I was clearly using this one example to talk about how lack of internal consistency in how a show applies its own rules is generally really detrimental to the viewers' ability to fully enjoy the show in question. I wasn't trying to do an in-depth character study on this guy or his motivations. Feel free to do that yourself though, I'd be interested to read your thoughts.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Nope, I don't. That's why I prefaced my entire post by saying it was a tangential rant at best. I was clearly using this one example to talk about how lack of internal consistency in how a show applies its own rules is generally really detrimental to the viewers' ability to fully enjoy the show in question. I wasn't trying to do an in-depth character study on this guy or his motivations. Feel free to do that yourself though, I'd be interested to read your thoughts.

I'll just say that they do go into why Mimasaka did what he did, and, at least for me, I was satisfied with the reasoning. Second, to address your prediction, spoiler[the school doesn't care because a) Takumi doesn't complain that his equipment was soiled, in fact that's not the point of Mimasaka smearing the gum on it in the first place, and b) this will be explained right away in the next episode, but ponder why there's a shokugeki; remember that those duels require both parties to agree on bets of equal value].
Cave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised so many people find the pacing of the show to be acceptable. Apparently, people don't like to talk about pacing, I don't typically see the need to, but in this season so far it's been a huge problem. I can understand wanting things to move along, but this is going at lightspeed and making scenes very awkward.

Episode 2 was not so bad, but 1 and 3 were horrible. Also the announcement of the winner of the Megumi vs Kurokiba match was done so quickly I don't know how anyone who didn't already read the manga knew who it actually was. There was no time to soak in the announcement and have some feelings for Megumi before being shoved into the next scene.

You can tell the voice actors are all rushing their lines too in order to fit in everything. I don't understand the rush. The Stagiare arc is neither very long nor very exciting. This right now is supposed to be possibly the best arc of the series and that it's gotten such a horrible treatment is saddening. I really hope they slow down for some of the bigger scenes, including the finale of the match.

I'm still continuing to watch it because I absolutely love this series, I am just disappointed that some great scenes are being reduced to 1 second quick cut away shots. :/
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
chex mix wrote:

I'll just say that they do go into why Mimasaka did what he did, and, at least for me, I was satisfied with the reasoning. Second, to address your prediction, spoiler[the school doesn't care because a) Takumi doesn't complain that his equipment was soiled, in fact that's not the point of Mimasaka smearing the gum on it in the first place, and b) this will be explained right away in the next episode, but ponder why there's a shokugeki; remember that those duels require both parties to agree on bets of equal value].

And spoiler[c) the theme of their match is one that doesnt require Takumi to use his mezzaluna so thats probably a reason why he didn't complain but thats just me]
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
I'm not trying to be spoiled here, so I'm not able to read any of that, unfortunately. Probably it would be better to have this discussion after the episode with his match has aired, I guess?

I agree that episode three went stupidly fast, btw. Especially since that's presumably the last we'll see of Megumi for awhile. I know nothing about what is coming up, or what they have to fit into the season, but I would rather see more attention given to the matches than loooong scenes of dude tying up his bike, if there is only time for one and I have to choose, since Megumi is a main character and all. It's better to cut some stuff altogether than just make a giant mush of everything. But I'm not a manga reader, and I don't care about getting a frame-by-frame adaptation anyways.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I loved season 1 but the pacing of season 2 is just so absurd that I can barely take it. There's never time to soak anything in, what are great manga panels as just brushed over and stakes feel so weak because there's no build up.

And to add on what others say Mimasaka is like wine, he gets better with time. His motivations and way of cooking does get a proper fleshing out (In the manga at least with the pacing who knows what'll happen)

I know this is a weird complaint but I feel like Mimasaka is too white, his skin should be darker, at least tan. In the Manga panels the shading always made him look darker but even compensating for that he wasn't this pale by any means.

But now that Round one is over were 1 step closer to Taki and Sonoko, the best senpai!
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
As a non-manga reader, I honestly haven't noticed how rushed this season's pacing has been, but I sympathize with you guys because I've seen it happen to so many favorites of mine. I supposed the staff wants to cram as much material as possible in the 13 episodes the production committee gave them, and I can't fault them for that, since the show is lucky to have gotten a second season despite not giving the manga much of a sales boost, not to mention its low BD/DVD sales.

But this episode got me really pumped to see Mimasaka get his just desserts (sorry, couldn't resist), and that judge song was hilarious.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4 review wrote:
Subaru is a good villain,

We have to give him credit for ratcheting up the tension. Face it this contest would have been boring by now without him.

I actually went into this episode thinking Takumi was going to win, mostly because he clearly has to face off with Souma at some point. But good for them for fooling me.

Like Megumi I think Tamuki got cheated by the judges. How can they award him for the noteworthy creation of a new Italiano flavor and then not the match in which he created it?

On the foodgasm fan service I think I part ways with our esteemed reviewer Rebecca-san. I'll take the naked T&A any day over a bunch of old codgers being transformed into girly girls.

Oh, well. The real story here is how Souma handles it all. He is clearly very displeased but he doesn't let it show. The creep shows up uninvited in his dorm room and he invites him to dinner and a talk. And he undermines the enemy's foundation (and I think shakes his confidence) with simple words delivered in a normal voice.

Clearly Souma is going to win this one (ain't no way he is going to have to pay that bet) the question is how. I see several obvious choices:

1. Do nothing for the week before the match. With nothing to imitate Subaru's whole winning strategy crumbles and he has nothing to replace it. Souma could serve a bowl of cereal and still win.

2. Test a bunch of different dishes while Subaru watches, driving him crazy since he doesn't know which one he has to imitate. This is risky because Subaru is probably capable of absorbing them all. Unless ...

3. Invent a totally new dish on the spot when the competition starts. Subaru loses pathetically, plans in ruins, since he doesn't know what to do.

I'm hoping for #3.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote
Or a combo of 1 & 3. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9