• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Second Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Does anyone know who does his voice? It isn't in the encyclopedia.

I think it's Mitsuru Ogata. It's just that judges are credited as Judge A/because/D.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
I'm not really looking forward to yet another match of "Souma being awesomer than awesome" with zero tension, so i wouldn't really mind if it was rushed a bit...it would have been more interesting to have Isami challenge Mimasaka and getting a chance to avenge his brother while similarly proving that he's not second-rate.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:06 am Reply with quote
What I've learned from watching Shokugeji no Soma is that apparently 90% of all chefs are not-so-nice-people who only care about food and cooking so they can be better at it than other people.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:15 am Reply with quote
Opposed to last week's very rushed "OK-you-are-the-wiiner-next-match-please-start-go!", this week's episode felt better-paced and balanced with the content, giving enough time to be invested in the character's actions and in the end results.

One gripe I have so far is with Mimasaka Subaru. He is too much of a classical villain, down to his exposure of intent before the targeted individual has even accepted the shokugeki/fallen to his provocation. It's one thing to explain the plan mid-cookoff, where the materials available and time limit are already set and there's little room for complete renovation on the recipe or a do-over, but to lay it all out in their free time, well ahead of the match is just sad, from a world-building perspective.

On the plus side, I thought of his prefered M.O. of going after his target's dishes as an interesting idea that does seem to separate him from the rest of this show's [antagonist] pack a bit. Also, good performance by Yasumoto Hiroki.

KutovoiAnton wrote:
I think it's Mitsuru Ogata. It's just that judges are credited as Judge A/because/D.

When the site's auto word filter trolls you.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:29 am; edited 4 times in total
Inopethflames

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga so I can just say from only watching the show that I think this battle had plenty of time, dessert is simpler than a main course item. I would be fine if they made every episode three hours, but for what they have I thought this was fine. I'm just getting tired of this competition. I like it a lot, but I really loved the first 18-20 eps of the show more. If this was a weekly show all year long, id have no problem, but there's only 13 eps the season and then who knows if there'll be more. The show was so much better when it was a more normal styled show rather than one episode after another of a one On one cooking battle. I assume there's 3-4 eps more like this and then hopefully it moves on to something else. I still love this season it's just with the shorter length, it feels like this is taking up too much time and it's not as good as first 20 eps of season one.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:45 am Reply with quote
Some part of me always dies whenever Rebecca mentions that she hates Erina.
And it's even sadder to know that this season only has 12-13 eps.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

On the foodgasm fan service I think I part ways with our esteemed reviewer Rebecca-san. I'll take the naked T&A any day over a bunch of old codgers being transformed into girly girls.

Probably most people part ways with me there. Laughing I like the silly foodgasms more than the, well, orgasmic foodgasms - my favorite is still the cabbage magical girls from season one.

KutovoiAnton wrote:

Thanks! He definitely became my favorite judge this week.

TheRahi00 wrote:
Some part of me always dies whenever Rebecca mentions that she hates Erina.

If it makes you feel better, I'm still waiting for her to redeem herself. She's just a character type I can't stand at this point.
Sorce

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Worst episode of the series so far.

spoiler[No conflict, no drama. Just Takumi getting jobbed by the 'super-skilled' villain who came out of nowhere to show how villainous he is and no matter what he does, he always wins.]
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Erina is more offensive to female watchers in general because she's a total "mean girl" type, and we usually have far less tolerance for that bullcrap in fiction because it's such a tiring thing to deal with in life. Maybe. Dunno.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
I wonder if Erina is more offensive to female watchers in general because she's a total "mean girl" type, and we usually have far less tolerance for that bullcrap in fiction because it's such a tiring thing to deal with in life. Maybe. Dunno.

No. I'm not a girl and I don't like Erina because she is unprincipled and a bully. If you detect that women are more harsh in assessing her than men are, I would more likely attribute that to the guys being sexually attracted to her and are less likely to be critical for that reason.

I hope she redeems herself and I expect she probably will once she finds out who Soma's father is.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:53 am Reply with quote
People i dislike the most in the series did get a change this week. Subaru moved ahead of Erina but i do not expect him to be around past the next episode. I also am beginning to wonder what will happen to Erina's opinion of him when she finds out who his father is.

based on Soma and the closed door conversation in his dorm room. i would say that he is very serious this time and at a different level.

Bleach when Ichigo gets pissed off at something gets like this also. probably a Shonen Jump thing. they make a good male protagonist and give them a great back story that colors the world around them. easy going, laid back and fun to hang with. but when angry its not fun to be the focus of the anger, having said that i do not feel the slightest amount of discomfort or pain that Sabaru will receive when he falls.

So will he have Erina give the knives back to the people they were taken from or will he do it him self.

Erina as to why she is not hated by more of the guys its easy. for me i believe that before the series is over she will "fall" for Soma. way too many times in this long life i have had have i seen this repeat it self. the girl or guy really hates the person for reason X. then events push them together over time. the view of the hated one becomes one of respect then realization that attraction is present. why else would she blush so much when his name is spoken. why else would she go out of her way to watch him hopping for a fail while admiring his wins. Erina is a spoiled brat who needs to be taken down a notch or five and i expect that to happen. no idea when it will happen but i do look forward to it.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
Im just gonna go ahead and say that next ep is gonna be epicly rushed. After Soma vs Subaru there should only be 2 more matches left and the Election arc is over. spoiler[Theres supposed to be a scene where Soma goes to Erina for advice in preparation for his match against Subaru but Im almost certain they'll just turn that into a flashback. Shame really cos theres one scene there in particular that I really wanted to see. ]

EDIT : After watching ep 5 I can say that spoiler[Im so happy my predictions were wrong]
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I'd say people concerned about the pacing should be more happy with this week's episode. While it still felt a bit breakneck, they definitely did not skip any content from the manga, and there's actually preparation and strategy time that we get to watch this time. Now that all the characters have now been more or less fully introduced, I suspect the remaining episodes will click better with more of the audience.

EDIT: Apparently the reviewer did not like the preparatory phase, lol.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5 review wrote:
They still appear to be on equal footing for the moment, with Mimasaka about to explain his special twist – how will Soma counter it?

Damn. Last week I posted three possible strategies that Soma could take and he did none of them. Bravo but that's not what I came to to say.

It is pretty clear that Soma has not only knives but Balls of Steel. From the challenge (end of last week) forward he hasn't projected anything but complete self confidence. He might be in a stage where he is still deciding and even seeks out help but still he acts as if he is completely confident.

Until the last few seconds of this episode. The cliff in the cliff-hanger didn't exist until that moment when for the first time Soma looks off balance and shocked when he looks around to see what Mimasaka is doing. (Who would want to eat something cooked by a gross guy who breathes foul gas all through the kitchen? Ick.) They handled the timing of that perfectly and now I can't wait until next week.

The pace is being handled masterfully. I wish all you guys complaining about pacing because you read the source material would quit it. We aren't reading the manga here. We are watching the anime. And the pacing is excellent.

Anyway, I am sure Soma anticipated this moment but we have to wonder what he was doing when he kicked Mitsuru out of the kitchen. Is he expecting Mimasaka to have discovered that as well or is it really the Area-51 weapon?

{Edit}: Extremely rude and inappropriate sexual harassment comment towards the reviewer removed. Do not ever make such a comment like that here again regardless if it's towards a staffer or regular user. Period. This has been reported to the admin so they can decide how to handle it. ~ Psycho 101
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
The pace is being handled masterfully. I wish all you guys complaining about pacing because you read the source material would quit it. We aren't reading the manga here. We are watching the anime. And the pacing is excellent.

I read the manga and I think the pacing is a bit faster than I would have expected but otherwise have zero problems with it. I personally like seeing my manga translate directly into animation, so this season has been much better than the first season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9