• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop to Release 2-Part Beauty and the Beast Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partially

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:36 am Reply with quote
Right. So we are expected to forget the company was shuttered just about overnight under odd circumstances. Leaving a ton of fans and series in the lurch. And be confident giving money here?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Right. So we are expected to forget the company was shuttered just about overnight under odd circumstances. Leaving a ton of fans and series in the lurch. And be confident giving money here?

So far they only thing they have offered in this incarnation have been manga adaptations of Disney properties. Unless they attract you, I would just ignore the company. Think of Tokyo Pop as the cockroach of manga companies. They have all that insect's survival skills and are just about as desirable.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:31 am Reply with quote
I....don't trust titles under TokyoPop.

The two manga I ever bought from them were Suki and Forbidden Dance.

1. Suki was nice, but the romance didn't go anywhere. That's Clamp for ya. Confused
2. Forbidden Dance....I can't even remember what happened in it and the art wasn't spectacular.Anime dazed

Since then, I haven't picked up any more titles from TokyoPop.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The manga will be two volumes long, and will feature original art from Japan.

Tokyopop couldn't or wouldn't acknowledge the actual artist?
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
How on Earth did they convince Disney to work with them? They've burned just about all their bridges with every other company they've ever collaborated with--and Disney is probably bigger than any of the companies they've pissed off in the past. I don't get it, but if Disney is willing to trust Tokyopop, I guess they don't have a lot to lose if Tokyopop doesn't pull through.

"The cockroach of manga companies" heh. Laughing
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Tokyopop will catch my attention if they take a risk outside of Disney. Until then, my wallet is closed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Tokyopop

Ahahahahahahahahanope.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Why would anyone want to be associated with Tokyopop?
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Right... so they'll release the first volume so they can try to make loads of money off on it and they keep delaying and then never release the 2nd volume of it until about 4 to 5 years from now if ever...or just wait till that license falls and then just pretend it doesn't exist.

Sorry, after the multitude of half-done series and the extremely strange release schedules of others, I don't trust Tokyopop with anything.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
So Disney is doing a live-action version of 'Beauty and the Beast' and also doing a manga tie-in? Or did I miss something. I mean...'Emma Watson'.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
also, we shouldn't forget that jab Stu Levy made about people still buying printed works (yeah, I don't wanna buy from someone who openly calls the people buying the product they sell idiots) or how shitty their OEL work contracts were and how they screwed over their OEL artists because of those shitty contracts.

personally I'm not touching anything released by Tokyopop unless it changes ownership and gets run by someone who shows more respect to their customers and I know they're not screwing their creators over with shitty contracts.

and, yeah, that sudden shutdown was just bullshit, especially since only Stu Levy and his second in command knew about it ahead of time. seriously, the people working for them, who were relying on their jobs as a source of income, should have gotten more of a heads up than that sudden "lol, surprise! we're shutting down!"

no love for anything that troll is involved with.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
Right... so they'll release the first volume so they can try to make loads of money off on it and they keep delaying and then never release the 2nd volume of it until about 4 to 5 years from now if ever...or just wait till that license falls and then just pretend it doesn't exist.

Which....might actually be a good thing. If they manage to piss off Disney too, pretty sure they ain't coming back for a third round...
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Stu Levy really doesn't know when to quit. The industry has moved on, and Kodansha and Yen Press have been A+ tier replacements. Tokyopop doesn't have any supporters left, and the American manga industry has finally found its niche now that Tokyopop is no longer swamping the shelves.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
How on Earth did they convince Disney to work with them? They've burned just about all their bridges with every other company they've ever collaborated with--and Disney is probably bigger than any of the companies they've pissed off in the past. I don't get it, but if Disney is willing to trust Tokyopop, I guess they don't have a lot to lose if Tokyopop doesn't pull through.
I'm guessing that Disney heard that somebody was desparately looking for a license, saw they had no bridges left to burn and got them to work for less than peanuts. I'm going to guess this is going to be their new business model from now on.
partially wrote:
Right. So we are expected to forget the company was shuttered just about overnight under odd circumstances.
I got the impression that Tokyopop was closed because Stu Levy got bored of books. He's a self-described "entrepeneur", after all, and a lot of actual entrepeneurs will move on to a new project once a business they started has gotten on its feet(of course, sane serial entrepeneurs sell their successful businesses).
Lady Multi wrote:
I wouldn't hesitate to bet that Disney's forcing them to put every volume out. This is Disney, after all, and I'd expect somebody did their homework before giving away such a major license.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
I wouldn't hesitate to bet that Disney's forcing them to put every volume out. This is Disney, after all, and I'd expect somebody did their homework before giving away such a major license.

It's quite possible that whoever gave away such a licence also doesn't know the manga market at all. Tokyopop has published things under licence with Disney before...you know BEFORE they just shut down and said eff-you to everyone.

The marketing person may have only been aware that business had been done with them in the past, that it was a small unique field, and gave the go-ahead. Not knowing that Tokyopop hasn't functioned in years and that their former fans wouldn't touch a title they produce.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2