• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales of Zestira the X (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
As someone that knows nothing about this franchise, I'm so far liking the series pretty alright. My only concern is that the pacing's laxed beginning might devolve into rushing in the second half.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I couldn't help but think when Alisha was about to leave "If they don't play Alisha's theme I'm going to lose it!". Thankfully they did. So maybe I can expect spoiler["Rising up"] as well later Wink.

I'm not against Motoi or anything but I'm not getting much from his rearrangements. I hope Go Shiina gets a chance for to compose some new material especially if they do the spoiler[trial shrines.]

That aside this was a pretty decent episode. Pacing was good and I actually like that they made Gramps a bit less strict on when he wanted Alisha to leave. Nice to see his character get a little more development. They also made Alisha a lot more privy to the Seraphs in the village which is another welcome change. This makes me think the whole spoiler["resonance" issue] won't be brought up which is cool.

On the other hand the fight scene was cool I guess but it felt a little..........over the top. I feel like the fight they had with Lunarre in the OVA made more sense in terms of scale. Sorey's best fighting experience is against prickleboars and some friendly sparring with Mikleo. Yet this fight would lead you to believe he's on Bleach levels of endurance as he was somehow able to take being dragged THROUGH a wall at high speed, fall several hundred feet before getting thrown BY HIS NECK and somehow stopping the speed he was thrown when he blocked an attack (WHAT ARE PHYSICS?!). Sorey isn't an average human sure but..........he's still human lol. It feels like they've kind of ramped up everyone's power levels at the beginning of the story for cooler battle scenes. Which I guess will keep that kind of crowd interested but it kind of muddles up the build up to tougher fights later on when we already have DBZ shit going at the start of the story lol xP. Mikleo was the only one who felt natural in that fight. Just a small beef though I guess.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
As someone that knows nothing about this franchise, I'm so far liking the series pretty alright. My only concern is that the pacing's laxed beginning might devolve into rushing in the second half.

Me too, i have no knowledge about this game. I like this snime alot after 3 episodes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
This week's episode was reat, Sorey managed to become the Shepherd by wielding that sword.

From what I understand, that also means he is the wielder of the new Sacred Blade for the festival. Glad to see they introduce Laliah this episode as well. Just a guess but spoiler[I think the person that tried to kill Alisha this episode is the same person that met Sorey early on..].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Just a guess but spoiler[I think the person that tried to kill Alisha this episode is the same person that met Sorey early on..].

She took her mask off in the first episode, remember, so that's already confirmed.

Well I guess that answers why that hellion guy didn't kill Alisha when he had the chance.

Lailah's new voice is going to take a little getting used to.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
That was cool. While I'm not a fan of the JRPG high fantasy sword design, Sorey's fusion form was otherwise really cool looking though we've already seen him fuse with Mikleo in the opening (my fav part of the opening).

Hmph. ANN automatically turned fav_ into favorite. Isn't ANN Canadian? Favourite.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
It's based in Canada, but I assume the majority of the userbase is American so they auto correct into wrong English.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
We finally get Excalibur from lady of the lake.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Just a guess but spoiler[I think the person that tried to kill Alisha this episode is the same person that met Sorey early on..].

She took her mask off in the first episode, remember, so that's already confirmed.

I did not remember what the characters looked like, but I did pick up that the girl with the mask in this episode was likely the "merchant". How did what the old guy say actually hold sway as evidence that the princess would bring ruin? Bit of a dick move to put a hit on her.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
How did what the old guy say actually hold sway as evidence that the princess would bring ruin? Bit of a dick move to put a hit on her.

Well, I imagine most people would think "Let's wait until lots of people get killed before we do anything" is a bad idea.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well, I imagine most people would think "Let's wait until lots of people get killed before we do anything" is a bad idea.

But.. but.. we were told by the evidence we cooked up there were WMD there!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Would help if we knew anything about this other country and if it's really gearing up for war or not. But I am inclined to side with Alisha. Best not to poke the hornet nest unless you really need to.

Kind of interesting that of the two shows this season who had to replace Miyu Matsuki both went with fellow Type Moon alumnus. Prisma Illya was a given (using another actress who also played Hisui at one point) and I suppose since this is ufotable they'd dip from the same pool too (using Sakura instead).

For all the controversy surrounding Rose, I never had strong feelings towards her one way or another (though I was pretty annoyed when I kept rolling her in Tales of Link). She was just kinda okay in the few skits I watched but I must say I found her pretty charming in this episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 4
What a cliffhanger this week!

Especially with the whole malevolence thing going on, I find the episode to be quite intense. Sorey and the others better have a plan or their own lives may be toast. As usual, I love the action scenes in the show.

Also nice to see Alisha conversing with Mikelo the first time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Seems like next week will be a Berseria episode.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Seems like next week will be a Berseria episode.

It's been officially stated that 05 and 06 will both be Berseria episodes (they're doing a theatrical screening, and it was stated that the content would involve Berseria). They've also officially stated that the versions that will be shown at the August 5 screening will be different from the TV versions. Source 1, Source 2

I have a lot of thoughts and feels on last week's episode (and a bit of this week's), but I'm still trying to get all of them in order for a post. Might have to rewatch the episodes and take notes as I'm doing so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 18