• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: Chick Habit

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
How fitting a chick posts first!

For the first questioner- try Utena. I think she was mere steps from being a dude. Seriously.

2nd question- i think its because a lot of male charcters in anime are really femine. Either that or they have rippling muscles that most men couldn't dream to emulate.
And the bigger pink wigged girls aren't what you need to worry about. It's Man Faye.

I think One Piece did ok- it just needs more time. Hopefully it will get it on tv. Confused

Such a cute dog. I wonder what kind it is.

To Geoffrey....for $50 I could buy three dvds and have more hours of enjoyment. And dubs. And extras. I think people griping about the prices have a point.

Next weeks answerfans answers should be a blast. Awesome banner! keepup the good work zac!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...and oh, did I mention the whole gimmick is that her "suit of armor" (if you could call it that) makes her orgasm while she's fighting.

Is...Is that true? Shocked

As for One Piece, I think the new dub is great (I've never seen the Japanese version), and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. The 4Kids crap is over. Let's just hope OP can begin to repair its image over here, and start to gain popularity.

Yeah, and the next Answerfans answers will be quite entertaining. I think "superior" being in the question is definitely going to get a lot of fanboys moving...typing...whatever.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
...we'll all be having our periods at the same time.

Not good. That'll wreak havoc on our plumbing.

I really enjoyed the column this week; it was nice to see some fresh(er) questions being asked for a change. And I just might have to respond to the new Answerfan question, since the film industry is near and dear to my heart. At the very least, if I'm too lazy to write in (very likely), I'll enjoy reading other responses.

Continuing the estrogen trend, I have to say that puppy picture made me ovulate with joy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kenotic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
For the first questioneer, I usually shudder at the blatant sexism in some anime - and the perception that this is the majority of the stuff out there. For series about females that is devoid of the stereotypes (big boobs/big robots/big empty heads/big crush on big dumber guy) - check out Haibane Renmei, Boogiepop Phantom, and Kino's Journey. None of the lead female are really drawn in an exploitative way -- and are rather far from the weak-willed "moe" girl genre. All three are fantastic series as well.

That and Ghibli movies are an oasis from the world of creepy 14-year old sex-objects.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
I think the first question-asker needs to watch some more mahou shoujo. Just looking at my shelf (I openly admit it, I'm a confirmed mahou shoujo fangirl), I see at least four series I would show my hypothetical future daughter for good role models. One of my favorite things about the genre is that SO MANY types of girls are represented--the groups of heroines show a lot of different personalities working together, which is what people have to do in the real world. It also teaches people (not just girls) that there's not only one "good" personality--each character pulls her own weight in some way. I personally dislike female leads who are constantly angry and overbearing (Naru Narusegawa) and female leads who are simpering and boring (the girl from Ai Yori Aoshi, who bored me so much I stopped watching the series halfway through). What those examples tell me is, don't watch harem anime if you want positive female role models >_>

But, then again, fanservice and all that "objectification of women" stuff doesn't bother me, so maybe I'm misjudging series I like. I don't know, I don't care how "progressive" something is as long as I like the characters--and I'll like characters who are warriors and housewives equally as long as they're interesting.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
I gotta point out one thing Awnserman didn't really touch on in the first question. Anime is in my oppinion at least, still aimed moreso at guys, and in particular horny young guys. Maybe its not "right" but really, its what a lot of guys want. Not to say guys cant or don't also appreciate women for their intelligence and personality and all that, but when it comes to fantasy or fiction, guys like: sexy women, women that need to be protected.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...and oh, did I mention the whole gimmick is that her "suit of armor" (if you could call it that) makes her orgasm while she's fighting.

If this is true I am deeply disappointed. I actually wanted to see this show. Oh well.

Quote:
Even though they're about as deep as a kiddie pool the Sailor Moon cast was seen as particularly progressive by many for a long while, even though the lead was a dumb, clumsy blonde in a short skirt. Still, the basic thrust of that series - that the women are the ones doing the ass-kicking while the male lead's primary role was to show up, attempt to save the day and get captured immediately - was definitely a step forward for female characters in anime.

Wow I never thought of Sailor Moon that way but that does pretty much sum up the series. Tuxedo Mask was useless! I used to wonder why he even bothered to show up.

I feel like I could have written the first letter it so perfectly matches my feelings about a year ago. Fortunetely I got a lot of good recommenations like Noir, Kino's Journey, NANA, Saiunkoku (make your daughter watch it), twelve kingdoms and his and her circumstances. I realized that if you look hard enough there are positive female representations in anime. The trick is not to weed through the crap yourself. A lot of my frustration was based on the fact that I would read the back, buy it, get something home and it would be horrible. Tenjho Tenge springs to mind. I started haunting this forum and listening to what other fans had to say. The ANN vetting process has served me well and saved me a lot of heartache.

ikillchicken wrote:
I gotta point out one thing Awnserman didn't really touch on in the first question. Anime is in my oppinion at least, still aimed moreso at guys, and in particular horny young guys. Not to say guys can't or don't also appreciate women for their intelligence and personality and all that, but when it comes to fantasy or fiction, guys like: sexy women, women that need to be protected.

I think licensed anime in America is more likely to be of the shounen type. However anime in general isn't really aimed at men over women. Also I think every man's defiition of sexy is different. I don't think neccessarily women who need to be protected are sexy to most men. Besides I don't mind sexy female leads. I would just like them to BE leads. To be accomplishing something in the story besides eye candy, whining, messing up or incompetance.

Last edited by sabriyahm on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
The second questioner wrote:
also why do i see so many fat girls wearing pink wigs at conventions, why is that so popular with the fat girls i dont get it.

Well, I think that's an American phenomenon only, as seen with my own eyes as well as this article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Nice article this week. Interesting to see all female questions this week. I want to comment on two things.

First one reason i think cosplaying is bigger for women is because they on a whole posses the skills to make an outfit where most men don't. Sure we can buys ours online but honestly the art of clothing making is usually a skill taught to women and girls growing up and no the boys and men. So women can more easily create these elaborate or simple outfits. That's just one more reason I;d suggest that there's more female cosplayers then male.

Quote:
You know, one of the things I think anime fans tend to get right is the complete shrugging off of the notion of "intended demographic".

Now here's a question to follow up on that; Are people that are anime fans more likely to shrug off these intended demographics or are people that already do that more likely to be anime fans? I wonder how many of these people, who do simply not care about what a shows target audience is, did this before getting into anime and were more susceptible to liking anime as opposed to those who started this trend with anime but continue it with other forms of entertainment? All the friends I know, and myself included, who don't care about the designed target audience of a show had this trait before they ever got into anime. So it just makes me wonder how many brought this trait to anime or if they "discovered" it so to speak by watching anime and thus in turn other mediums.
Ahiru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Such a cute dog. I wonder what kind it is.

I'm pretty sure it's a long-haired dachshund puppy.
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
also why do i see so many fat girls wearing pink wigs at conventions, why is that so popular with the fat girls i don't get it.

Well, I think that's an American phenomenon only, as seen with my own eyes as well as this article.

As much as I think it's hilarious, I also can't help but say it's a bit biased since they are Japanese people cosplaying Japanese characters.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

omgwtflolpwnage Laughing

I know, I know; logic dictates that since anime is bigger in Japan, there are more examples. Since there are more examples, the author uses the very best example from Japan (that Tifa is hot). At the same time the author uses the worst examples from the U.S.A. etc. etc. Whatever. Logic is overrated.

It's totally funny. I must admire those people's self-confidence; though I sure hope that's not self-delusion.

Great column this week. I totally agree with Answerman; two things I'm sick of reading about on ANN: fansubs and the Ragnarok of the R1 anime industry! Enough already! No offense to Answerman and he's a great columnist and all, but I wasn't reading the last two columns of Hey, Answerman precisely for this reason. I don't give a Samuel Jackson about these issues quite frankly.

It's much better when we're actually discussing anime. And ladies with pink wigs, like that one in Lost in Translation, except with more mass. Smile
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I gotta point out one thing Awnserman didn't really touch on in the first question. Anime is in my oppinion at least, still aimed moreso at guys, and in particular horny young guys. Not to say guys can't or don't also appreciate women for their intelligence and personality and all that, but when it comes to fantasy or fiction, guys like: sexy women, women that need to be protected.

I think licensed anime in America is more likely to be of the shounen type. However anime in general isn't really aimed at men over women. Also I think every man's defiition of sexy is different. I don't think neccessarily women who need to be protected are sexy to most men. Besides I don't mind sexy female leads. I would just like them to BE leads. To be accomplishing something in the story besides eye candy, whining, messing up or incompetance.

Well, it depends on wether were talking about just Anime or Anime and Manga combined. If were talking about just Anime I must disagree. There are simply more Anime aimed at guys than girls. Without a doubt everybody has different preferences. But still there are clearly common trends.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
also why do i see so many fat girls wearing pink wigs at conventions, why is that so popular with the fat girls i don't get it.

That's a bunch of cherry-picked, heavily-retouched photos of asian cosplayers combined with the absolute worst photos of American cosplayers the author could find on Google Image Search.

That's an incredibly lazy bit of tired and unfunny comedy writing. There are plenty of attractive, fit American cosplayers who do amazing work with their costumes.

The "fat chicks in pink wigs" thing is a bizarre phenomenon yes but I don't see anyone posting photos of the countless ugly Asian cosplayers I see.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Now here's a question to follow up on that; Are people that are anime fans more likely to shrug off these intended demographics or are people that already do that more likely to be anime fans?

Good follow up question, and I'd have to say my personal take is that people who already shrug off intended demographics are likely to also be anime fans. I too am one of those guys who would much rather watch anything generally seen as "girly", ranging from shameless moe to angsty romance, than something considered more "manly". At the same time, however, I thoroughly enjoyed something like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, which is straight balls-to-the-wall manly action.

My philosophy has always been that if I enjoy watching something, I'm going to watch it and I don't much care what others think of it. I'll just as quickly switch to watching something like Dora the Explorer if it keeps me entertained for a half hour. I see that sentiment in a lot of my friends, many of whom used to watch anime and have since stopped, yet the attitude still prevails.

I think Zac hit the nail on the head when he said that demographics really only matter to advertisers who need to keep the show and its advertising in sync. If others who weren't in the intended group end up watching as well, that's just more eyeballs for the ads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9