• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Best and Worst Manga of 2016 Results - Comic-Con International

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
If Bleach is under their radar then they need a new antenna.

Other than Bleach the only titles on any of those lists that I have read are Fruits Basket and Yotsubs&!.
I guess that I am really out of touch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
If Bleach is under their radar then they need a new antenna.

Other than Bleach the only titles on any of those lists that I have read are Fruits Basket and Yotsubs&!.
I guess that I am really out of touch.

It's not you, it's them. If anything says "don't take my opinion seriously", it's saying Bleach is underrated/underrepresented/obscure.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Man I wish I could got to this panel know their reasoning for Servant x Service being bad. Sure it had some by the numbers romance tropes, but wasn't that bad.
-edit- The thing about Bleach is they hated it last year saying it fell from its past glory and its seems that in the past year it improved and they noticed it wasn't selling well on New York weekly sales charts which is probably reason for it being underrated now
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Bleach. Underrated.

Excuse me, I need to call a detective to find my sides.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Bleach being underrated made me laugh out loud in class.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
The series I want more than anything is Thous Shall not Kill and Arachnid those series are totally underrated and is VERY GOOD because they're original. Still praying they make it to the U.S. On the other hand, Nozaki-kun and Handa-kun are great titles! Bought every book available at the moment. And how is Bleach underrated? Maybe because it's not as hyped up as One Piece or Naruto or something? Something is wrong there. But whatever. And lol Black Clover never rubbed me the right way, but I wouldn't rank it the "worst"
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
The picks for Worst Manga category seems like "low hanging fruit" wish I could say I'm excited about Otherworld Barbra but I know from haveing bought other historically significant titles in the past (Princess Knight, To The Terra, and Andromeda Stories) that I will read them once and then never touch them again. Good to see Orange get listed in Best New Manga for Kids/Teens.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Seems a little mean-spirited to have a 'worst' category at all. If you want to talk about specific manga and problems that you may have with them, or trends in the industry that you dislike and maybe the manga that most exemplify them, that's one thing. Just calling out a handful of manga as 'the worst' though seems to be a bit petty, and it doesn't give a fan like me any idea of why they are so bad, so you can't really argue that it's for the sake of the industry or anything like that.

I'd rather they spend the time promoting the good stuff than dumping on things they don't like, but I guess I might be a bit old-fashioned like that.

In any case, a few of the titles on the 'best' lists are things I haven't read, so I'll be sure to give them a look!
Rychy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
lol. Thank you for calling out Black Clover. It is that bad. I think Jump has been pushing it to succeed from the beginning.

Love seeing Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun on the best list! A rare instance where the anime elevates the manga. Been meaning to check out Goodnight Punpun, always hear good things about it. I’m about to finish Knights of Sidonia, so I’m excited about BLAME! and the movie coming out.

I did not like Orange though … I feel like I’m one of few.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Worst Manga for Anyone, Any Age
Servant X Service by Karino Takatsu (Yen Press)

Just literly WTF at this because the anime was really awesome one of thoose rare ones where we got a story about adults work, already rewatched the anime twice and will probably do it more in the future because its really a hidden gem.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm pleased to see Izumi Tsubaki's honour restored, with Nozaki-kun named a "Best of 2016," after the panelists called her debut series the "Worst" several years ago. I always knew her comedic writing was genius, though :)

I may be wrong, but I think each panelist selects one title for each category (maybe someone had a tie for the best kids/teens category this year, since there are 6 titles), so that if a title was named the "worst" it might only reflect one person's opinion, not the whole panel's. I would be interested to know more about the reasoning behind some of the picks.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
For upsetting ending,I would put Naruto. This is coming from my NaruSaku self and how the ending was so out of character.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Worst Manga for Anyone, Any Age
Servant X Service by Karino Takatsu (Yen Press)

Just literly WTF at this because the anime was really awesome one of thoose rare ones where we got a story about adults work, already rewatched the anime twice and will probably do it more in the future because its really a hidden gem.

The anime was indeed excellent. The manga(4-koma format) on the other hand, has had...less than favorable reviews...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not a manga reader, it struck me that these picks were the product of only five people, only one being Japanese, the majority being reporters. I don't see any direct manga connection so I wouldn't take these too seriously, it's ComicCon...

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
frikiteko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
no wonder black clover its betwen the worst i've read the series and its a complete shit its basically a naruto and bleach ripoff
"My dream is to be the sorcerer emperor and i wont give up no matter what" or the magic knights shit exactly like the captains in bleach they even have their own squads
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5