• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm basically in this because of Yoshiki Tanaka, and I would have a question for anyone familiar with either the novels or the manga this series is based on.

Compared to Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Arslan offer so much less in terms of characters and complexity that I was wondering if this is already the case in the novels, a problem (to me, at least) originating in the manga, or if something essential got lost just in the anime?

I very much agree with Rose's description of Narsus. When he was introduced, he was a lot more fun and has quickly become disappointingly boring. Hopefully, being reunited with Shagad will lead to more interesting developments than a quick falling-out.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
4 episodes...

we are half way there....

so will this series have a proper ending ? Rolling Eyes
Australian JRPG Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I loved that scene where Gieve told the pirates they were fighting Daryun.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The animation was kind of sad this week. But who cares when there's so much eye candy with the men in their southern costumes? Laughing Oh Daryun, adopt that style permanently!

I did love the little section with Gieve playing his lute-guitar-whatever. It was very pretty.

And I was so happy seeing Gieve and Farangis fighting side by side, what a pretty couple. Seriously I need some GxF fics.

@Knoepfchen, this anime is moving so fast through the books it's like a bird skimming the peaks of waves. All depth is passed over in order to get the story out. It's not on par with LOTGH, but they are two very different kinds of stories with two different needs and goals.

Plus, just look at the number of episodes each was given to tell a complex tale. Hundreds vs 33, so far at least. I wouldn't be surprised if they finished the story with a 4 - 6 episode OVA.

Last edited by sunflower on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Quote:
There is not much to write about this sequence, which mostly feels like a retread of last week's pirate battles...

The same could be said for the entire episode, except for Farangis' cosplay, which, while new, was so predictable (including the scroll girl's part) it felt ancient. The worst was probably the dialog in the tavern, which was repetitive to the point of parody. "You saved me!" "We need your help!" "I'm so grateful you saved me, I'll help you!" "Will you help us?" "Well, you saved me, so I'd love to help you!" "Think you could help us right now?" "Anything for the people who saved me!"

And then we had the dialog between Shagad and Narsus, which was the same as last week. "You've changed." "So have you." "We're really different now, huh." "Yep, different from how we used to be." "I'm the practical one now!" "I'm more idealistic now!" "Funny how that worked out." "Sure is." "Feels like we've said all this before." "Whoa, déjà vu, man."

On top of that was the Viceroy. "Heh heh, I'm skimming off the taxes! No one can stop me! As long as they don't find the extra set of books, I'm forever rich! Everybody's so stupid not to see what I'm doing! Oops, someone's coming!" ...later... "Heh heh, I'm skimming off the taxes! No one can stop me! Everybody's so stupid they can't see what I'm doing! Why don't we run away together and enjoy all the money I've stolen! You can be my concubine!" ...even later... "Heh heh, we know you're skimming off the taxes! We're going to stop you now! We found the extra set of books, so you're forever in jail! We're not so stupid we couldn't see what you were doing! Btw, ha ha, the concubine is one of us!"

There was no meat in any of this, not even bones to chew on. Just some leathery skin barely held together with visible stitches. With only 8 episodes, this all needed to be put together with tight efficiency, so seeing them waste a whole episode on rehashing plot points already thoroughly established was just pathetic.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
They didn't waste the episode though. This is an important part of this arc. They removed the viceroy, established Shagad as the baddie and gave Narsus real reason to distrust him, and they established, uh, the merchant fighter guy as a leader worthy of leading the city who also pledges financial and military support to Arslan. These were all things that we didn't have before this week and which we do now.

I won't argue that it's rather shabbily done, and their use of Farangis was cringe-worthy, but they made the points that this chapter of the book needed them to.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
And they could have done all of that in 5 min of screen time, tops, using the other 15 min for something else.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And then we had the dialog between Shagad and Narsus, which was the same as last week. "You've changed." "So have you." "We're really different now, huh." "Yep, different from how we used to be." "I'm the practical one now!" "I'm more idealistic now!" "Funny how that worked out." "Sure is." "Feels like we've said all this before." "Whoa, déjà vu, man."

It's somewhat sad that I find reading your comment more entertaining than the actual scene.

Shagad was obviously going to be a rival/bad guy from the OP and casting choice alone, so there is no surprise seeing him in cahoots with the pirates. I like that he was the dreamer originally, as I strongly believe in a healthy dosage of pragmatism to maintain sanity, but there is so much potential here, and it was only touched upon, not used as it could have been. With so few episodes left, I wonder how this will get close to having a conclusive ending. Will there be more episodes at some point? Shagad vs. Narsus had so much promise, I refuse to believe this was it, and that Narsus made his peace with saying goodbye to his friend.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
that's Hermes's girlfriend about to get burned at the stake, right? was she making her way to Ecbatana when we last saw her, or did the viceroy capture her off screen in a different location?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I'm sure that his feelings for Irina were Hermes' prime motivation for his dramatic entrance and calling off the alliance, but the parallel with his own father and uncle's betrayal were surely fuel on the fire.

Has anyone learned yet why the subs changed his name to Hilmes this season? Did they have another run-in with the author about names again, like with the OVAs?

The scenes where she keeps trying to stab people though...were implausible, to put it kindly. Honestly, Joel and the bots were riffing away in my head during the whole fiasco. I mean, if I were blind and wanted to stab someone, I wouldn't approach them waving my knife about while I tried to locate them. Hell, I wouldn't go about it like that regardless of visual acuity.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Hermes senki is good, I have liked it; the rest of the series, though, has abandones the chaarcters personalities and triats in favor of making them do what the plot asks them to; first we abandon a guiscard that respects and loves his brother and suddenly we have one that is willing to imprison and kill him ? and the less that is said about other character, like narsus plto-convenient intelligence, the better... now they can't even notice spyes.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
That ep was great with the Hilmes/Hermes and Etoile stuff. Good to have Etoile further pushed in the direction she's been heading in again toward Arslan on her own terms seeing it for herself and just like last season I find it very interesting how they continue to chip away at Hilmes' "overtly villain" side more than I expected, like the review mentioned. Another example was how I also liked it last season when he was clearly effected when his old trainer died sacrificing himself to save Arslan from one of his attacks.

I too wonder why they slightly changed his name (in the dub as well) sometime during the second half of the first season as I was used to Hermes lol.

Really hope they are continuing beyond this short season.

maximilianjenus wrote:
Hermes senki is good, I have liked it; the rest of the series, though, has abandones the chaarcters personalities and triats in favor of making them do what the plot asks them to; first we abandon a guiscard that respects and loves his brother and suddenly we have one that is willing to imprison and kill him ? and the less that is said about other character, like narsus plto-convenient intelligence, the better... now they can't even notice spyes.

They haven't abandoned any of the personalities though.

Guiscard never was that. He certainly never respected his brother, you can see it right from the start in the first season he was already doing all the actual work and plotting behind his brother's back and considering him useless and unfit to rule, even if he didn't resort to outright killing him yet, he wanted the throne for himself. His annoyance with him clearly continued to escalate further beginning right after they took Ecbatana with Innocentius causing further problems by going for Tahamine.
Australian JRPG Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
That was a great rescue by Hilmes.

I never expected that Alfarid has a brother, I don't remember him ever being mentioned before.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
We are already on episode 6 .. out of 8 ?

Can they wrap the series up in just 2 more episodes ?
nubguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
This show is amazing! Season 2 is so awesome, I would definitely rate these episodes A! One of the best shows this season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4