• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School: Despair Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faeris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
um, guys?
I think you should use the spoiler tag? spoiler[after all you're talking about the game and this anime's ending ...?]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
Faeris wrote:
um, guys?
I think you should use the spoiler tag? spoiler[after all you're talking about the game and this anime's ending ...?]

There's no spoilers for the end of this show, which nobody knows yet to begin with. They are spoilers for Danganronpa 2, which takes place before 3 even if part of it is a prequel showing their backstories. Not sure how to go about spoiler tags for this show honestly. My gut tells me that the rules should be the same as the reviews: unmarked spoilers for games 1 & 2, spoiler tags for stuff that happens in the new episodes of 3. But idk.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:57 am Reply with quote
By the way, I'll admit after this image in Danganronpa 2 it's hard not to be a little disappointed with their Despair Versions (since in the image there's the same number as the survivors and the one of the right looks like Fuyuhiko, then we can assume they are them and therefore Kazuichi is the one shooting people and Akane the one starving. And let's better not talk about the middle down one). I guess the most they could do is imply it because anything else would be too heavy and gross even for this series, but I guess some sick part of me still wanted to watch, at least, more body horror shit Anime hyper (though if they act like the middle down one didn't happen I get it, ughughugh).
_citrus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Jacob Chapman recorded a playthrough of the entire second game and uploaded it to Youtube

Does anyone have a link to where this is?

I don't want to sound babyish or anything, but I tend to watch TV (anime or otherwise) to unwind. I don't want to have to solve puzzles - I just want to see the story.

As a side note, are there really that few people who want to watch DR3, but haven't played through SDR2? We're certainly seen cases where chapters of large stories are adapted, and large sections are left out.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
After watching the second episode I felt like throwing out here some of the references (some are so tiny and blink-and-you-miss) that some people may not catch up. I skip the videogame ones because they're too obvious or they explicitly say which one are:

-Akane becomes Gon-overkill-mode from Hunter X Hunter (image 1 and image 2).
-Kazuichi practicing his Umezu Kazuo face.
-Even Ibuki's icon in the game has her Pinocchio/Usopp? face. (the first one could be interpreted as Hiyoko but she's actually the third one, the first one is Chiaki so nop).
-The epic combat between those two finally animated and with the correct final forms. (plus DBZ fight in the 8 bits image)
-Every chance Nagito has to make Hope references is always great, even with the game mechanics just because.

Another really fun episode with more delightful 2nd cast fanservice that obviously doesn't give a shit about what you think (the horny potion, Mikan and Peko's sword, etc.), but still advancing the plot slowly with Chiaki's development (and she is already friends with Hajime! Tragedy strikes twice! My heart! D: ), Chisa's revelation as a spy, Hajime's questioning of the volunteer program (with that oldman who I'm not sure whether he's honest or doing inverse psychology), Mahiru's friend in the Reserve Department (Sato/Girl E?) and Fuyuhiko's sister's appearance which already proves the Twilight Murder Syndrome is going to happen. It's still all fluffy but it's probably going down (not sure if soon or more gradually, but next episode we should have more red flags) and it's still a lot of fun. I just suffer from thinking the cast is only going downhill from here on.
Also, really worried about Chiaki being the representative of the class, I hope by any chance she wasn't part of the people killed in the Worst, Most Awful Incident in Hope's Peak Academy's History D_:
iatheia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Wonder what happened with the reviews for DR - there wasn't anything up for Mirai-hen, so I thought they might combine them, but there isn't anything for the second episode, so far, either.

Can we just forget that the plot exists for Zetsubou-hen? *shoves Natsumi into a closet* If the entire series is going to be in the same vein as these last two episodes have been, that would be a-ok in my book.

On the other hand, I really hope that Mirai-hen picks ups some steam, so far it has been pretty disappointing, and it's not in a particular hurry to make me care about anyone in there.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
After watching the second episode I felt like throwing out here some of the references (some are so tiny and blink-and-you-miss) that some people may not catch up. I skip the videogame ones because they're too obvious or they explicitly say which one are

One that stuck out to me was Ibuki's line during the Lust Potion scene - Ibuki shouts about her Love Heart is Charging.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
By the way, I'll admit after this image in Danganronpa 2 it's hard not to be a little disappointed with their Despair Versions (since in the image there's the same number as the survivors and the one of the right looks like Fuyuhiko, then we can assume they are them and therefore Kazuichi is the one shooting people and Akane the one starving. And let's better not talk about the middle down one). I guess the most they could do is imply it because anything else would be too heavy and gross even for this series, but I guess some sick part of me still wanted to watch, at least, more body horror shit Anime hyper (though if they act like the middle down one didn't happen I get it, ughughugh).

While that was the easy assumption to make at the time, the Despair versions we saw in the Future Arc debunked a few of those theories. Akane in particular, as she was perfectly fit during the fight with Future Foundation, so she clearly isn't the one who starved herself.** The only one it confirmed was Fuyuhiko as the one who transplanted his eye. The other ones are too vague to draw any solid conclusions from.

About the one in the middle though, many fans seem to agree that the implied necrophilia was actually a mistranslation, although an easy one to make. Apparently, the JP version implies that one of the female characters transplanted Junko's uterus into herself so that she could, not have children with Junko, but literally bear her children. Which is still pretty high up there on the grotesque scale.

There's also the fact that it was never stated anywhere that the Remnants of Despair in those images necessarily had to be from the DR2 cast, as Junko had many, many followers, and that scene was more of a blanket statement of "her followers did a bunch of horrible things, here's a few examples", which again, made perfect sense at the time that it was referring to the deeds of the DR2 survivors, but has since been disproven to be the case for at least some of them.

** Speaking of fan theories, spoiler[Ryouta Mitarai is one of the more suspicious characters since he appears in both series in some capacity (and even appears both fat and skinny in the Despair OP, which has to mean something). While viewers are clearly supposed to think he's the Ultimate Imposter in disguise in the Despair arc, some fans were quick to notice that his dreary words to Chiaki in Episode 2 regarding friendship and talent seem to contradict the Imposters actions in DR2 and his "real" personality (as in, not part of his Byakuya cover) discussed in his Free Time Events, as well as the fact that he has no reason to take the animating job so seriously or to steal an identity if he was just going to be a shut-in anyways, leading some to speculate that fat Ryouta may actually be the real Ryouta, with the empty 16th seat in the classroom being for the Imposter, who may not have shown up yet. Going back to DR2's depiction of the Remnants, what happens when you starve yourself? You lose weight. And who's skinny in the Future Arc? Ryouta. Coincidence? Maybe, but certainly suspicious, though this poses other questions like where he's been this whole time.]
Guus van Voorst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:15 am Reply with quote
My hunch (and this is not fact) is that Chiaki's death might be the cause of Hajime's meltdown in despair... let's hope its not true... the other anime series already messed with me badly... Sad
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
... Wasn't Fuyuhiko's sister the Ultimate Little Sister? And didn't the picture of her body from DR2 have her in the main course uniform?

... I smell shenanigans.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:
... Wasn't Fuyuhiko's sister the Ultimate Little Sister? And didn't the picture of her body from DR2 have her in the main course uniform?

... I smell shenanigans.

I've seen two theories floating around: spoiler[either her "Ultimate Little Sister" talent is something that the school recognizes later (possibly manufactured by the school who were being pressured by the Kuzuryu family) after which she's promoted out of the reserve course, or else she used to be a member of the main course but was demoted to the Reserve Course as a consequence of bad behavior or academic performance.] However, we know that Hope's Peak wasn't exactly on the up-and-up at that point in their history, so any number of shenanigans could be responsible.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
GeneStriker wrote:

... I smell shenanigans.

I've seen two theories floating around: spoiler[either her "Ultimate Little Sister" talent is something that the school recognizes later (possibly manufactured by the school who were being pressured by the Kuzuryu family) after which she's promoted out of the reserve course, or else she used to be a member of the main course but was demoted to the Reserve Course as a consequence of bad behavior or academic performance.] However, we know that Hope's Peak wasn't exactly on the up-and-up at that point in their history, so any number of shenanigans could be responsible.

If her talent wasn't recognized before, how did pre-Hope's Peak Fuyuhiko know about it? If she was demoted, why was she wearing a main course uniform?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the Ultimate Little Sister thing was just a pet name that Fuyuhiko gave her out of love, rather than an actual title assigned by the school. As for wearing the wrong uniform, there's any number of ways you could pull that off from her stealing/borrowing a uniform to meet with Sato on the day she was killed, to just retconning the fairly negligible detail altogether.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 3 (spoiler because the review for the episode hasn't come up yet, later I edit):

spoiler[That was... em... fast. I was expecting a minimum of two episodes at least, but the Twilight case went by so quick that I'm not sure what was the focus other than trying to tye in Hajime's dilemma about talent VS hope with that missing plot point in the game, the whole Sato and the sister thing was so short and quickly established that they felt more like tools than understandable characters and conflicts (especially Sato, in theory you get the reasons, but in execution it's too rushed and unrelatable, she just got two scenes before doing it). I'll admit, I was expecting more close first-person perspective on the case instead of just an quick off-camera resolution, but even as it is the particular emotions of most of them involved, especially Mahiru and Fuyuhiko, were too distant and cold and untreated to feel anything (and I don't know if they will return to talk about it again, based on the framing I'm not sure they will), and if they don't show the effect such dramatic case has on them, I don't know either how much focus they will give to the classroom when they ultimately fall to despair (unless their downfall will also be treated from an outsider cold distant perspective (Chiaki or Chisa for example), but I would find that disappointing).]

spoiler[So I'm dubious of this episode, it was too rushed, soon and transparent the whole case was shown as a tool to evolve Hajime and that's about it, some conversations were too heavy-handed even for this kind of writing (cough Sakakura cough), and I would have also liked more of Chiaki and Hajime together before Hajime took his choice and left her, it also feels like it comes too soon. But at least I like how Hajime acts during all of this, he and Chiaki were cute together as always, and I'm not sure which point of view will the series focus on, whether Chiaki, Chisa or Hajime/Izuru, so I'm curious. But I wish it had more time to breath, unless they really want to put content that comes later and they had to cut here.]

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3. Wow that anvil. No matter how worthless you feel in comparison to those around you, you're not just a disposable cog in a larger machine. Still, considering something as recent as Final Fantasy XIV once tried to play off a character resolution with undeniable similarities to Hajime's plight as an unambiguous happy ending is all the more reason it needed to be dropped. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if Kodaka meant this week's episode as a direct response.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9