• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Shares Drop 18% After It Reminds Investors It Did Not Develop Pokémon Go

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:08 am Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
They should've kept their mouth shut. I mean, by a business stand point they did the right thing by reminding people not to invest in something they didn't create. It was to save their reputation and stuff but still, a shame their shares dropped. Maybe they can team up with the Pokémon GO developers to make the format apart of their company. It could be worth it!

Well, a person who invested in Nintendo in response to Pokémon GO and nothing else is going to be disappointed later on if Pokémon GO turns out to be an even bigger phenomenon and Nintendo's value doesn't increase accordingly. I think a big reason for Nintendo's announcement is to save these investors from that disappointment.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I say the investors are more at fault than Nintendo is for rashly putting their stocks in. They should've already been aware by now that Pokémon GO was only Game Freak and Niantic's idea and that Nintendo only partially funded it.

Usually, a Pokémon game is made by only a few companies: Game Freak, Creatures, Genius Sonority, Jupiter, Spike Chunsoft, and Nintendo itself. In all cases, it's been under direct supervision and ownership of either Nintendo or The Pokémon Company. There have been very few exceptions, Pokémon GO being one of them, and it is only the second Pokémon game to be made outside of Japan (Pokémon Puzzle League being the other one) and the first one to be a success in Japan.

It'd make sense if investors assume Nintendo was behind this, as Nintendo had been behind all other Pokémon games made to date, to one extent or another.

TrueZangetsu wrote:
Nintendo should ask Niantic for a stronger corporation in terms of development Pokémon go has many mechanics that are weird and don't resemble the real Pokémon games.
For example you don't attack wild Pokémon to weaken them. You just throw the ball. That's not how Pokémon works and Nintendo can fix some of these issues because they know their franchise the best

Pokémon contuinity is one of the loosest of major video game franchises. Pokémon Trozei! and Pokkén Tournament would make absolutely no sense if they were considered to be in the same universe as the main-series Pokémon games, and even the main series ones is full of retcons due to the new mechanics introduced every generation. It's even established that the universe for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire is a different one than Ruby and Sapphire, so if a Pokémon multiverse exists, then anything goes. The only thing a Pokémon game needs to have is Pokémon. (And even then, the Pokémon had almost no significance in Pokémon Puzzle League. It was almost entirely about the human characters. And there are other games where Pokémon is simply a theme slapped on top, like Pokémon Picross and the Poképark sub-series.)
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:54 am Reply with quote
Shows they might have a good sense of morality. Now if only their YouTube policies were dropped so I would be convinced.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Pokémon contuinity is one of the loosest of major video game franchises. Pokémon Trozei! and Pokkén Tournament would make absolutely no sense if they were considered to be in the same universe as the main-series Pokémon games, and even the main series ones is full of retcons due to the new mechanics introduced every generation. It's even established that the universe for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire is a different one than Ruby and Sapphire, so if a Pokémon multiverse exists, then anything goes. The only thing a Pokémon game needs to have is Pokémon. (And even then, the Pokémon had almost no significance in Pokémon Puzzle League. It was almost entirely about the human characters. And there are other games where Pokémon is simply a theme slapped on top, like Pokémon Picross and the Poképark sub-series.)

It would be really nice if Pokemon GO would change some features to be more in line with the handheld main series, though.

I understand that maybe they didn't go with the battle a wild Pokemon to weaken and catch it deal since it's a mobile game and most people who are playing just want to keep it quick, BUT there needs to be some other system to evolve Pokemon than catching the same Pokemon so many times over. Especially once they start adding Pokemon beyond generation I. There will be so many.

My starter Squirtle still hasn't even been leveled up because I've run into so few and they always appear when I have no Pokeballs or run out. I can't evolve any of my favorite Pokemon because I just don't run into them enough.

There needs to be another method.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
It would be really nice if Pokemon GO would change some features to be more in line with the handheld main series, though.

I understand that maybe they didn't go with the battle a wild Pokemon to weaken and catch it deal since it's a mobile game and most people who are playing just want to keep it quick, BUT there needs to be some other system to evolve Pokemon than catching the same Pokemon so many times over. Especially once they start adding Pokemon beyond generation I. There will be so many.

My starter Squirtle still hasn't even been leveled up because I've run into so few and they always appear when I have no Pokeballs or run out. I can't evolve any of my favorite Pokemon because I just don't run into them enough.

There needs to be another method.

Yeah, it is definitely incredibly tedious and weird, regarding a Pokémon's capability to evolve, and even more so to extrude as much potential out of them as they can as you need even more of that species's candy. But I don't think Pokémon GO was ever meant to be like a main series Pokémon game, considering how very downplayed battling is. It might be that they have you catch lots of the same Pokémon as an incentive to try to get you to purchase items via microtransactions though, considering lures and incubators are available at the shop.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3047831&highlight=

"Sobe
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote Report Post
Twisted Evil Arrogance or ignorance, this is just hilarious either way. We all know Nintendo needed this win given how hard they were trying to compete with PS and Xbox. They could at least acknowledge they're silently celebrating on the inside (and internally)."

lol
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I face-palmed and laughed at the title. Jesus... lol
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:47 am Reply with quote
Afezeria, the Walt Disney Corp. should follow this suit and have their CEO admit that Mickey Mouse was not really the creation of Disney himself (for Mickey as we know today).

Walt did the initial Mickey sketch on a train ride in '25. Walt made the ideas and stories, but a long-time friend and co-work named Ub Iwerks drew them. Iwerks' name is listed as the director on the title card for the 1st 4 Mickey shorts. I share the view that Mickey becoming a cultural icon is because, for all practical purposes, Iwerks.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Nonsense like this causes an 18% drop in stock price. The riskiest form of gambling with the longest delay on publishing information is the most popular.
ajr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
$299 per share when it was <$150 before Pokemon Go released? Absurd. This drop is a correction; they knew the announcement would drop the price, and that might have been the objective. I'll speculate manny or most professional investors were probably already aware of this, this is just the Japanese public taming their earnings expectations.
vision33r

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
The game is a joke because the Pokemon spawns mostly at Pokestops heavy places with Lures and not many people live near them so it makes the game impossible to play at home.

This game promotes people camping out at Pokestops, if you don't you won't ever get a chance to catch enough to evolve to other forms.

Some Pokemons require more 50-400 candies to evolve and who is gonna sit at a pokestop for days and nights to grab them all.

What should happen is they make the spawns more randoms that they can appear anywhere in your house too.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:
The game is a joke because the Pokemon spawns mostly at Pokestops heavy places with Lures and not many people live near them so it makes the game impossible to play at home.

What should happen is they make the spawns more randoms that they can appear anywhere in your house too.

It really depends on where you live, down to the exact geographical location. People who live in large cities will be at an advantage, regardless of whether they're at home or elsewhere. And Pokémon do appear at many people's houses. If they don't appear at yours, then I think it's just a matter of living in an unlucky location. But the idea behind Pokémon GO is to promote traveling (hence the "GO" part of its name.)

Pokémon don't appear at my house either, and in fact they only really spawn starting about a mile from where I live (by road, but it's more like half a mile as the Murkrow flies). Either way, it's best not to take candy-farming too seriously. You're supposed to take your time with Pokémon GO (especially as it's incredibly incomplete).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2